PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 23

Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 5:06 pm      Post subject: Records in "Anneksy"

Hello.

I've come across a few records that were contained in the Anneksy. I think this is like an addendum to the records. Would a record appear in the Anneksy because it got accidentally left out? Would there be any other reason?

Thank you.
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:45 am      Post subject: Re: Records in "Anneksy"

cjsulcoski wrote:
Hello.

I've come across a few records that were contained in the Anneksy. I think this is like an addendum to the records. Would a record appear in the Anneksy because it got accidentally left out? Would there be any other reason?

Thank you.

Hi,
Generally, an annex is a section containing additional information.
If, for example, you have a marriage where either the bride or groom was from some distant parish, the priest might have corresponded with the priest from their church of origin for proof of baptism, or maybe proof of death of a former spouse. Documents received in that correspondence could be placed into an annex.
Here is one reference to annex records in a Family Search description:
https://www.familysearch.org/en/wiki/Poland,_Warsaw,_Marriage_Annexes_-_FamilySearch_Historical_Records
If you have translations of the records that you found, you can confirm whether this is what was happening in your specific case.
Best regards,
Sophia
cjsulcoski

Post Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:12 pm      Post subject: Re: Records in "Anneksy"

Sophia wrote:

If, for example, you have a marriage where either the bride or groom was from some distant parish, the priest might have corresponded with the priest from their church of origin for proof of baptism, or maybe proof of death of a former spouse. Documents received in that correspondence could be placed into an annex.

Hi Sophia. Thanks so much for your response. I was wondering because I found my GGgrandparents' marriage record in the Annex for two parishes -- his parish of Wigry and her parish of Kaletnik. I can make out most of the Wigry entry as it's in Polish and it sounds like the priest states that he read the news of the marriage to the people attending the Wigry church and that the marriage was consistent with canon law. I'm having trouble with the top part. Unfortunately I can't read Cyrillic so I can't figure out the Kaletnik annex entry.

So would this mean that each priest contacted the other parish to make sure the betrothed was baptized and able to be married? Would it be likely that the marriage also appeared in the regular records for that year? I was wondering if they got married in a completely different parish and that's why they don't appear in the regular marriage records, only the anneksy.

Thank you so very much!

THIS IS IT.jpeg
 Description:
Wigry Anneksy
 Filesize:  1.31 MB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

THIS IS IT.jpeg

63_153_0_2_16_20625534.jpg
 Description:
Kaletnik Anneksy
 Filesize:  1.26 MB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

63_153_0_2_16_20625534.jpg

Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:38 am      Post subject: Re: Records in "Anneksy"

cjsulcoski wrote:
Sophia wrote:

Hi Sophia. Thanks so much for your response. I was wondering because I found my GGgrandparents' marriage record in the Annex for two parishes -- his parish of Wigry and her parish of Kaletnik. I can make out most of the Wigry entry as it's in Polish and it sounds like the priest states that he read the news of the marriage to the people attending the Wigry church and that the marriage was consistent with canon law. I'm having trouble with the top part. Unfortunately I can't read Cyrillic so I can't figure out the Kaletnik annex entry.

So would this mean that each priest contacted the other parish to make sure the betrothed was baptized and able to be married? Would it be likely that the marriage also appeared in the regular records for that year? I was wondering if they got married in a completely different parish and that's why they don't appear in the regular marriage records, only the anneksy.

Thank you so very much!

Hi,
I would add one word to your description of the document from the Wigry parish - - I would say the priest "read the news of the UPCOMING marriage to the people attending the Wigry church." That is, this document gives the three dates of when the banns were read, to determine if anyone in the parish would put forth a reason why the groom was not able to get married.
When the bride and groom were from different parishes, the rule was that the marriage would be in the bride's parish. So, banns were read and documented in the groom's parish and then some notice of "it's all fine" was sent to the bride's parish. I cannot read Russian, either, so whether the document from the Kaletnik annex is a translation of what happened in Wigry, or whether it is documenting the banns that were read in the Kaletnik parish for the bride, I cannot say. Go ahead and post it in the Russian records translation thread and see what info it contains.
There really should be an actual marriage record in the Kaletnik records. Are you not able to find it there? Can you give me a link to this set of records? While I can't read Russian, I may still give a try to looking for you.
Sophia
cjsulcoski

Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:49 pm      Post subject: Re: Records in "Anneksy"

[quote="Sophia"][quote="cjsulcoski"]
Sophia wrote:

There really should be an actual marriage record in the Kaletnik records. Are you not able to find it there? Can you give me a link to this set of records? While I can't read Russian, I may still give a try to looking for you.
Sophia

The Polish online archives don't have the regular records for that year (1881) -- only the Anneksy. I found the original reference in Geneteka. Family Search stops at 1877.

Thank you!
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:41 am      Post subject: Re: Records in "Anneksy"

[quote="cjsulcoski"][quote="Sophia"]
cjsulcoski wrote:
Sophia wrote:

Sophia

The Polish online archives don't have the regular records for that year (1881) -- only the Anneksy. I found the original reference in Geneteka. Family Search stops at 1877.

Thank you!

I looked at Geneteka. I want to clarify for you, that both of your documents are from the Anneksy of Kaletnik parish, since there are no indexed annex records from Wigry.

While #25 is clearly your Piotr and Jozefa, I think #33 is a different couple (as you can see on Geneteka -- Piotr Kordowski and Aleksandra Wolowna).

Best of luck to you in your research,
Sophia
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: