PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 8

Post Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:27 pm      Post subject: Wojtowicz, Serednicka from Galicia

Hello. I am trying to find information about my ancestors, I have Stanislaw Wojtowicz, born March 14, 1889 in Galicia Poland. He married Julia Serednicka born Nov 16, 1888 in the same place. (These are my great grand parents, who came to the USA)
They had I think 9 children, their son Edward, born Jan 28, 1923 is my grandfather.

I am looking for information on Stanislaw or Julia (Juliana) parents. I am thinking a birth certificate would have this information?
Thank you for any help.
Trish
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 299

Post Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:11 pm      Post subject: Re: Wojtowicz, Serednicka from Galicia

kimboley wrote:
Hello. I am trying to find information about my ancestors, I have Stanislaw Wojtowicz, born March 14, 1889 in Galicia Poland. He married Julia Serednicka born Nov 16, 1888 in the same place. (These are my great grand parents, who came to the USA)
They had I think 9 children, their son Edward, born Jan 28, 1923 is my grandfather.

I am looking for information on Stanislaw or Julia (Juliana) parents. I am thinking a birth certificate would have this information?
Thank you for any help.

Hi!
Can you please tell me where in the USA your family settled? Were they from Monessen, Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania?

Have a great day!
Trish
kimboley

Post Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:33 pm      Post subject:

Yes, thank you, this is additional information I have, Stanislaw, I believe was from Wydrna . That birthdate of March 4, 1889 is incorrect, the Naturalization document says May 13, 1891. They settled in Monessen Pa. I think I found the names of the parents of Stanislaw, on a site called geneteka. Father Michal and mother is Antonina Sawa, I think Stanislaw had a twin Wictoria and I think a sibling Wiktor born in 1893, that died a few days later, Antonini also died. (Stanislaw and Julia children names were, Stella, Joseph, Catherine, Helen, Mary, Julia, Edward, John)
If you can verify this and maybe help with more generations I would very much appreciate it.
Trish
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:28 am      Post subject:

kimboley wrote:
Yes, thank you, this is additional information I have, Stanislaw, I believe was from Wydrna . That birthdate of March 4, 1889 is incorrect, the Naturalization document says May 13, 1891. They settled in Monessen Pa. I think I found the names of the parents of Stanislaw, on a site called geneteka. Father Michal and mother is Antonina Sawa, I think Stanislaw had a twin Wictoria and I think a sibling Wiktor born in 1893, that died a few days later, Antonini also died. (Stanislaw and Julia children names were, Stella, Joseph, Catherine, Helen, Mary, Julia, Edward, John)
If you can verify this and maybe help with more generations I would very much appreciate it.

Hi Kimboley,
I'm not sure if you have these records. The records I am posting might help the rest of the group with figuring out where your ancestor is from and where to find records. I see per Stanislaw's naturalization record it states he is from Wydrna. His ship's manifest states he is going to I believe his sister's Jozefa house in New York. (I need another set of eyes please to verify that the manifest is stating Stanislaw is going to see "sister" Jozefa in New York. Thank you!) He is on line #23.

Name: Stanistaw Wajtowicz
Ethnicity/ Nationality: Polish
Marital status: Single
Birth Date: abt 1888
Last Known Residence: Wychai, Galicia
Departure Port: Antwerp, Belgium
Arrival Date: 10 Jul 1906
Arrival Port: New York, New York, USA
Final Destination: N York

Best regards,
Trish

Stanislaw Death.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  951.33 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Stanislaw Death.jpg

Stanislaw Naturalization.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.07 MB

Stanislaw Naturalization.jpg

Stanislaw Manifest.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  931.78 KB

Stanislaw Manifest.jpg

Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1029

Post Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:35 am      Post subject:

Trish wrote:

His ship's manifest states he is going to I believe his sister's Jozefa house in New York. (I need another set of eyes please to verify that the manifest is stating Stanislaw is going to see "sister" Jozefa in New York. Thank you!) He is on line #23.

Hi Trish,
As your "other set of eyes" I can offer a small correction. He is going to the Cloister (not sister) of Sw. Jozefa (that is, the Cloister of Saint Joseph) on 18 Greenwich Street in New York City.
All the best!
Sophia
Trish
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:43 am      Post subject:

Sophia wrote:
Trish wrote:

His ship's manifest states he is going to I believe his sister's Jozefa house in New York. (I need another set of eyes please to verify that the manifest is stating Stanislaw is going to see "sister" Jozefa in New York. Thank you!) He is on line #23.

Hi Trish,
As your "other set of eyes" I can offer a small correction. He is going to the Cloister (not sister) of Sw. Jozefa (that is, the Cloister of Saint Joseph) in New York.
All the best!
Sophia

Hi Sophia,
Thank you! I could not make out where he was going. I'm glad you were able to figure it out.

Have a wonderful day!
Trish
Trish
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:21 pm      Post subject:

kimboley wrote:

Hi Kimboley,

I believe this is what you are looking at on Geneteka. I hope this link works.

https://geneteka.genealodzy.pl/index.php?op=gt&lang=pol&bdm=B&w=09pk&rid=B&search_lastname=Wojtowicz&search_name=michal&search_lastname2=sawa&search_name2=Antonina&from_date=1875&to_date=1895&rpp1=&ordertable=

The 3 children of Michal Wojtowicz and Antonina Sawa all died. The deaths of the children are listed in the Zgony tab.

Also, is anyone having a problem with https://www.szukajwarchiwach.gov.pl/ website? I keep getting an error.

Best regards,
Trish
Trish
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:43 pm      Post subject: Re: Wojtowicz, Serednicka from Galicia

kimboley wrote:

Thank you for any help.

Hi Kimboley and Sophia,
I believe this is the manifest for Julia Serednicka. (Sophia, I need your eyes again. Very Happy Thank you.)

Name: Julia Serednicka
Ethnicity/ Nationality: Ruthenian (Russniak) (Ruthenian)
Birth Date: abt 1887
Departure Port: Bremen
Arrival Date: 18 Jul 1905
Ship Name: Grosser Kurfurst

Have a great day!
Trish

Julia Manifest.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.1 MB

Julia Manifest.jpg

Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:38 pm      Post subject: Re: Wojtowicz, Serednicka from Galicia

Trish wrote:

Hi Kimboley and Sophia,
I believe this is the manifest for Julia Serednicka. (Sophia, I need your eyes again. Very Happy Thank you.)

Have a great day!
Trish

Hi Trish,
Yes, I see on line 5 there is a Julia Serednicka. As you noted, she is listed as Ruthenian, but Stanislaw Wojtowicz was not, so it's up to Kimboley to decide if this is the right Julia Serednicka. As you see on the manifest, there are a group of Ruthenians together on that page, all from different villages and all going to different cities in NJ and PA, each of which had strong Polish communities. I am saying this because perhaps if you can find their towns of origin on a map, and if they are clustered together, it may help you make sense of Julia's town of origin which looks kind of like "Konske".
As to where she was headed, the town is McKees Rocks in Pennsylvania, not all that far from Monessen. She was going to her brother-in-law, but it is too difficult for me to decipher the name. First name may be Mike.
Hope this helps,
Sophia
Trish
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:15 am      Post subject: Re: Wojtowicz, Serednicka from Galicia

Sophia wrote:
Trish wrote:

Hi Kimboley and Sophia,

Have a great day!
Trish

Hi Trish,
Yes, I see on line 5 there is a Julia Serednicka. As you noted, she is listed as Ruthenian, but Stanislaw Wojtowicz was not, so it's up to Kimboley to decide if this is the right Julia Serednicka. As you see on the manifest, there are a group of Ruthenians together on that page, all from different villages and all going to different cities in NJ and PA, each of which had strong Polish communities. I am saying this because perhaps if you can find their towns of origin on a map, and if they are clustered together, it may help you make sense of Julia's town of origin which looks kind of like "Konske".
As to where she was headed, the town is McKees Rocks in Pennsylvania, not all that far from Monessen. She was going to her brother-in-law, but it is too difficult for me to decipher the name. First name may be Mike.
Hope this helps,
Sophia

Hi Sophia,
Thank you for looking at this record. Now I'm not sure if it is the correct Julia. Per the census records, Julia's origin was either listed as Galicia, Austria, or Poland.

Thank you again! Have a great day!
Trish
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:48 pm      Post subject: Re: Wojtowicz, Serednicka from Galicia

Trish wrote:

Hi Sophia,
Thank you for looking at this record. Now I'm not sure if it is the correct Julia. Per the census records, Julia's origin was either listed as Galicia, Austria, or Poland.

Trish

Hi Trish,
The census records with Galicia, Austria and Poland can all be correct, depending on the year.
Ruthenian is indicated on the manifest not as a nationality but rather as an ethnicity, if that helps.
I think that you did find the correct manifest for Julia.
Sophia
kimboley

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:39 pm      Post subject:

Trish wrote:
kimboley wrote:

Hi Kimboley,

I believe this is what you are looking at on Geneteka. I hope this link works.

https://geneteka.genealodzy.pl/index.php?op=gt&lang=pol&bdm=B&w=09pk&rid=B&search_lastname=Wojtowicz&search_name=michal&search_lastname2=sawa&search_name2=Antonina&from_date=1875&to_date=1895&rpp1=&ordertable=

The 3 children of Michal Wojtowicz and Antonina Sawa all died. The deaths of the children are listed in the Zgony tab.

Also, is anyone having a problem with https://www.szukajwarchiwach.gov.pl/ website? I keep getting an error.

Best regards,
Trish
kimboley

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:44 pm      Post subject: Re: Wojtowicz, Serednicka from Galicia

Sophia wrote:
Trish wrote:

Hi Sophia,

Trish

Hi Trish,
The census records with Galicia, Austria and Poland can all be correct, depending on the year.
Ruthenian is indicated on the manifest not as a nationality but rather as an ethnicity, if that helps.
I think that you did find the correct manifest for Julia.
Sophia
kimboley

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:14 pm      Post subject: Re: Wojtowicz, Serednicka from Galicia

Trish wrote:
Sophia wrote:
Trish wrote:

Hi Kimboley and Sophia,

Have a great day!
Trish

Hi Trish,
Hope this helps,
Sophia

Hi Sophia,

Trish
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:46 am      Post subject:

Hi Trish,
You have assembled a lot of good information here. Pinning down the town of origin is key to finding records for the parents of Stanislaw and Julia which Kimboley seeks. In answer to your question about the problems accessing szukajwarchiwach, there is another thread here on the forum that will explain that:
https://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?t=18831
It is wonderful how much you contribute to this forum.
All the best,
Sophia

Kimboley,
You have posted three replies here in which you quoted other responses, but you did not say anything. Is it a technical difficulty?
Good luck to you,
Sophia
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> In search of relatives / Poszukiwani krewni All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next Page 1 of 2

Jump to: