PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 21

Post Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:35 pm      Post subject: Debnica

Hello everyone, I found family records from Debnica. ( Dembnitza) Is this a Polish town? If so is it still in existence? Is there a Catholic Cemetery that would have Graves from the 1800s? Thanks for any help provided. Mary

268.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.52 MB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

268.jpg

BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 658

Post Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:50 pm      Post subject: Re: Debnica

rinny11 wrote:
Hello everyone, I found family records from Debnica. ( Dembnitza) Is this a Polish town? If so is it still in existence? Is there a Catholic Cemetery that would have Graves from the 1800s? Thanks for any help provided. Mary

Hi Mary,
There are several places in Poland named Debnica. Can you tell me where you found this record?
Tomb from 1800-1880? No, I do not think so. Very few from 1880-1900.

Barbara

Based on the names in the record, Debnica is located here.
Dębnica is a village in the administrative district of Gmina Kłecko, within Gniezno County, Greater Poland Voivodeship, in west-central Poland. It lies approximately 7 kilometres south-east of Kłecko, 10 km north-west of Gniezno, and 44 km north-east of the regional capital Poznań. The village has a population of 530.

Debnica.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  143.04 KB

Debnica.jpg

rinny11

Post Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:34 pm      Post subject: Debnica

Barbara, I have sent a copy of my source. Also if no Catholic Cemetery, where would a family be buried? Thank you for responding, Mary, sorry, I'm having a problem with download. This is source
AKTA. MALZENSTW
VOL. 29. 1850
PARISH.RZYM-KAT. DEMBNICA
W. A. P. POZNAN
A. D. M. WARSZAWA

Last edited by rinny11 on Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:54 pm      Post subject:

Mary,
Do you have a birth record for Jan Perzyk, the son of Wojciech and Konstancja?
B.

Last edited by BarbOslo on Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:11 pm      Post subject: Re: Debnica

rinny11 wrote:
Barbara, I have sent a copy of my source. Also if no Catholic Cemetery, where would a family be buried? Thank you for responding, Mary, sorry, I'm having a problem with download. This is source
AKTA. MALZENSTW
VOL. 29. 1850
W. A. P. POZNAN
A. D. M. WARSZAWA

M-Perzyk-Wozniak, 1850.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.74 MB

M-Perzyk-Wozniak, 1850.jpg

BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:00 pm      Post subject: Re: Debnica

BarbOslo wrote:
rinny11 wrote:
AKTA. MALZENSTW
VOL. 29. 1850
W. A. P. POZNAN
A. D. M. WARSZAWA

It is definitely a Catholic cemetery. If they died in Debnica, they were buried there. In the old days the cemetery was always by the church.
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:07 am      Post subject: Re: Debnica

BarbOslo wrote:
rinny11 wrote:

Hi Mary,
There are several places in Poland named Debnica. Can you tell me where you found this record?
Tomb from 1800-1880? No, I do not think so. Very few from 1880-1900.

Barbara

Based on the names in the record, Debnica is located here.
Dębnica is a village in the administrative district of Gmina Kłecko, within Gniezno County, Greater Poland Voivodeship, in west-central Poland. It lies approximately 7 kilometres south-east of Kłecko, 10 km north-west of Gniezno, and 44 km north-east of the regional capital Poznań. The village has a population of 530.

Hi Mary& Barbara,

The Catholic Cemetery for the R. C. parish of Dębnica was not exactly a “churchyard” cemetery adjacent to the parish church but was within the village. This link shows a picture of the parish cemetery where individuals from the villages which were part of the parish were buried https://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ko%C5%9Bci%C3%B3%C5%82_%C5%9Bw._Miko%C5%82aja_i_%C5%9Bw._Jadwigi_w_D%C4%99bnicy The cemetery contains burials from the 19th Century and earlier but since graves were regularly recycled and since 19th Century grave markers were of wood it is most unlikely that it would be possible to identify specific 19th Century graves. In some parishes some burials also were under the floor of the church building. Some parish cemeteries had an ossuary aka charnel house where bones unearthed when new graves were dug were stored. The parish church was under the patronage of Saint Nicholas (św. Mikołaj) and Saint Hedwig (św. Jadwiga) and the contemporary church building dates from 1726 with a renovation in 1937. The building is of wood and is typical of many of the older church structures found in Wielkopolskie and Kujawsko-Pomorskie. The link from the Archdiocese of Gniezno contains exterior and interior pictures of the church https://archidiecezja.pl/kuria_parafie/rejon-gnieznienski/dekanat-klecki/debnica-par-pw-sw-mikolaja-i-sw-jadwigi/ The Słownik geograficzny is a snapshot in time with details about the village from the second half of the 19th Century http://dir.icm.edu.pl/pl/Slownik_geograficzny/Tom_II/20 The details are found in #2 of the entry. The salient data in the entry states that the village had 33 houses with 261 inhabitants, all of whom were Catholics. 74 were illiterate (and 186 were literate). The literacy rate was at least as high or higher than in many rural locations in other countries in Europe and North America. In general, the Province of Posen (German: Provinz Posen; Polish: Prowincja Poznańska) aka the German Partition had the highest literacy rate of the three areas of Partitioned Poland. The region around Gniezno, of course was the cradle of the Polish State and of Christianity in Poland dating back to the foundation of the Polish State in 966 when Mieszko converted to Christianity.

Wishing you success,

Dave
rinny11

Post Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:59 pm      Post subject: Debnica

Thank you Barbara and Dave, lots of information and help. I appreciate all the help. Some of the family immigrated to America but some did not, would those who stayed remain in the same town? Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Villages and towns of our ancestors' origins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: