PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 69

Post Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:07 am      Post subject: Nobility Records in Stratyn, Rohatyn 1826

My forebears in Galicia Ukraine were poor peasants who worked for local landowners.

I am now curious to see who these landowners were and am coming to realize that the possibilities include the church, the local priest and/or privately owned farms, often managed by others. When researching Stratyn, Rohatyn in the early 1800's it appears that the local parish priest, Stephanus Winnicki had strong family ties to the local nobility, families with names like Czajkowski and Balinski that were Polish in origin. The population of Stratyn included many families of nobility including those that managed large holdings, but few of their records were recorded in the Stratyn metrical Greek Catholic tomes (1835 to 1865) - although at least some of them were G.C. They obviously lived outside of Stratyn, as did the parish priest. I did find some of the records in the broader Rohatyn diocese (the records for Stratyn prior to 1835 are not yet available for viewing). I am attaching an example as well as a pic that clarifies that the father, Michael Smolinski, is an estate manager.

At first glance, the 4 baptism records in June of 1826 covers four children (Smolinski) with birth dates from 1818 to 1824. The writing at the bottom seems to indicate that something happened on June 19th, 1826. Could these be delayed baptisms or just updated housekeeping to include them in the Rohatyn diocese tomes?

Just a curious entry.

Stratyn michael smolinski estate manager.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  106.78 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Stratyn michael smolinski estate manager.jpg

Stratyn nobility recorded in Rohatyn june 1826.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  175.02 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Stratyn nobility recorded in Rohatyn june 1826.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: