PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 8

Post Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:22 pm      Post subject: Lukryc

Hello forum members!

My great-grandfather, according to his birth/baptimal record, came from the town Okalewo, Poland. The surname of his father is Lukryc. I don't know why, but the name was changed to Lukrytz for himself and his children. My 2nd great-grandfather and my great-grandfather were shoemakers.

Does anyone have any idea where this last name came from? I can never find it in any surname databases.

Appreciate any insight anyone has.

Patricia
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1028

Post Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:52 am      Post subject: Re: Lukryc

Luk_Bud wrote:
Hello forum members!

My great-grandfather, according to his birth/baptimal record, came from the town Okalewo, Poland. The surname of his father is Lukryc. I don't know why, but the name was changed to Lukrytz for himself and his children. My 2nd great-grandfather and my great-grandfather were shoemakers.

Does anyone have any idea where this last name came from? I can never find it in any surname databases.

Appreciate any insight anyone has.

Hi Patricia,
Welcome to the forum!
The Lukryc surname is rare, indeed. I am not finding it on either of my favorite go-to websites for surnames used in Poland.
However, there are some records listed in Geneteka:
https://geneteka.genealodzy.pl/index.php?op=gt&lang=pol&bdm=B&w=02kp&rid=B&search_lastname=Lukryc&search_name=&search_lastname2=&search_name2=&from_date=&to_date=&rpp1=&ordertable=
When you follow this link, you are looking at a list of births. You can click on the Malzenstwa tab for marriages, and the Zgony tab for deaths. If any of the individuals there look like your family members, then you can click on the word "skan" to see a scanned image of the church record.
The town of Okalewo is in today's voivodeship Kujawsko-Pomorskie. If you know the history of that area, then it will make sense that your family's surname would also have been written Lukrytz. If you use the rules of German pronunciation, then Lukrytz (or even better, Lukritz) will sound the same as using the rules of Polish pronunciation to say Lukryc.
Best of luck in your search,
Sophia

Last edited by Sophia on Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Luk_Bud

Post Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:46 pm      Post subject: Re: Lukryc

Thank you for your response. Yes, I have used Geneteka to find my family members. The children born to the parents of Stanisław and Anna are my great-grandfather and his siblings. I had someone from Family Search translate them and posted the translations on that site.

I had no idea about the different spellings based on languages. I read a bit about the history of the area and I believe that they lived in the Duchy of Warsaw and were taken over by the Russians after the Napoleonic Wars.

The curious thing is on the US Censuses while Maxymiljan was alive he listed his birth place as Russian Poland. After he died the family listed him as coming from Germany.

Best Wishes,
Patricia
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1028

Post Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:14 am      Post subject: Re: Lukryc

Luk_Bud wrote:
Thank you for your response. Yes, I have used Geneteka to find my family members. The children born to the parents of Stanisław and Anna are my great-grandfather and his siblings. I had someone from Family Search translate them and posted the translations on that site.

I had no idea about the different spellings based on languages. I read a bit about the history of the area and I believe that they lived in the Duchy of Warsaw and were taken over by the Russians after the Napoleonic Wars.

The curious thing is on the US Censuses while Maxymiljan was alive he listed his birth place as Russian Poland. After he died the family listed him as coming from Germany.

Best Wishes,
Patricia

Hi Patricia,
If you have looked at Geneteka, then you probably have explored all of the other voivodeships for Lukryc entries. I see some in Warminsko-Mazurskie and Mazowieckie. The name is so rare, that probably the people in Rypin are related, as well.
If you want to hear the Polish pronunciation of Lukryc, listen here:
https://translate.google.com/?sl=pl&tl=en&text=Lukryc%0A&op=translate
Click on the "listen" icon. The first time you click on it, you will hear the name at normal speed, and the second time, you will hear it pronounced more slowly.
Compare it to the German pronunciation of Lukritz:
https://translate.google.com/?sl=de&tl=en&text=Lukritz%20%0A&op=translate
One further thing that may interest you, if you don't already have one, is a good map. Here are a few choices for you, made in different years. On each, if you find Rypin, then look straight east, you will see Okalewo:
https://polona.pl/search/?query=rypin&filters=category:maps,public:1,hasTextContent:0
Best regards,
Sophia
Luk_Bud

Post Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:02 pm      Post subject: Lukryc, Lukrytz, Lukritz

Thanks for the links I see what you mean about the pronunciation. They do sound alike. And that map is perfect. My great grandmother came from Chrapon. Both towns are on the map.

she is more of a problem at the moment as the translator at Family Search didn't translate the whole birth record. She gave the date and parents names and town, but then said it didn't seem like the others in the record were related. Hmmm, how does she know?

I am going to add a request for translation on this site.

Best Wishes,

Patricia
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Origins of surnames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: