PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 11

Post Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:14 am      Post subject: Need help with surname and city name c.1875

Hello all! I am happy to have found this forum. I am trying to locate the birth record of my ancestor, but his name is inconsistent on USA documents, and I cannot find any record of the city that is listed as his residence on the passenger list from Ellis Island. His surname has appeared as Kajder, Kojder, and Kojdin and his first name has appeared as Anthony, Antonie, and Antoni. The 1893 passenger list lists his residence as Bosiljawo in Austria. I would appreciate any help as I try to figure out if his name and the city name are accurate, so I can locate his birth record. Thanks!
BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 691

Post Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:46 am      Post subject: Re: Need help with surname and city name c.1875

hopskip wrote:
Hello all! I am happy to have found this forum. I am trying to locate the birth record of my ancestor, but his name is inconsistent on USA documents, and I cannot find any record of the city that is listed as his residence on the passenger list from Ellis Island. His surname has appeared as Kajder, Kojder, and Kojdin and his first name has appeared as Anthony, Antonie, and Antoni. The 1893 passenger list lists his residence as Bosiljawo in Austria. I would appreciate any help as I try to figure out if his name and the city name are accurate, so I can locate his birth record. Thanks!

Hi,
Can you download the passenger list from 1893? I think his name is Antoni Kojder.
-Barb
hopskip

Post Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:04 am      Post subject:

Hi Barb. I have the 1893 passenger list with "Antonie Kojder", but I am struggling to find that name and that city, Bosiljawo. I am wondering if maybe his surname in Poland was different and/or the city name was inaccurate. I'm not sure where to look next for clues!
BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:44 am      Post subject:

hopskip wrote:
Hi Barb. I have the 1893 passenger list with "Antonie Kojder", but I am struggling to find that name and that city, Bosiljawo. I am wondering if maybe his surname in Poland was different and/or the city name was inaccurate. I'm not sure where to look next for clues!

I want to see this one. It will be easier to find the place. Write everything you know about him.
Barb

Last edited by BarbOslo on Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:47 am; edited 1 time in total
hopskip

Post Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:47 am      Post subject:

Hi Barb. I will PM you as I am having trouble attaching it. Thanks!
BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:49 am      Post subject:

hopskip wrote:
Hi Barb. I will PM you as I am having trouble attaching it. Thanks!

You can send by email: [email protected]
BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:17 am      Post subject:

All indications are that it is located in the Podkarpackie Voivodeship or Ukraine. What do you know about his parents, siblings...?
Barb
hopskip

Post Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:54 am      Post subject:

All I know right now about his past before immigrating was that his birth date was 27 Dec 1875 and his father was Joseph Kajder.
BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:41 pm      Post subject:

hopskip wrote:
All I know right now about his past before immigrating was that his birth date was 27 Dec 1875 and his father was Joseph Kajder.

I found a place called Bosiljevo.
Bosiljevo is a village and municipality in Karlovac County, Croatia.
That can't be right, I thought.
But ... on this list all the passengers are from the same place.Therefore, I began to look at the surnames. It is not a typical Polish or Ukrainian surname. Many of them sound Czech, Slovak, Hungarian. The Austro-Hungarian Empire was a large area. Germans, Hungarians, Czechs and Poles were the largest ethnic group. Now I think we probably need to see more in this direction.

-Barb
hopskip

Post Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:32 pm      Post subject:

I started looking at similar sounding town names too, and I think this one seems possible!

Bołszowce
https://sztetl.org.pl/en/towns/b/923-bolszowce

Also, I am now looking at the alternate spelling of Kajzer, which seems to be a lot more popular than Kajder. Idea
Trish
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 299

Post Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:57 pm      Post subject: Re: Need help with surname and city name c.1875

hopskip wrote:

Hi!
Was Antoni Kojder living in Pittsburgh? Did he marry Barbara Bonk? I wanted to make sure I had the correct family before I posted anything.

Have a nice day!
Trish
hopskip

Post Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:59 pm      Post subject:

Yes, that is the family!
Trish
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 299

Post Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:01 pm      Post subject:

hopskip wrote:
Yes, that is the family!

Hi Hopskip and Barb,

Here is Antoni's naturalization record. This might shed a lot of clues as to where he is from.

Have a great day!
Trish

Antoni Kojder Naturalization.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.06 MB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Antoni Kojder Naturalization.jpg

BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:35 pm      Post subject:

Thank you Trish. This document changes all. Which one?
Barb

Kopanie.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  198.85 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Kopanie.jpg

hopskip

Post Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 4:23 pm      Post subject:

Amazing! Thank you Trish! And thank you Barb for pointing that out because I was just about to start looking in Kopanie.. and Kopanie.. and Kopanie. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next Page 1 of 3

Jump to: