PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 1

Post Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:32 am      Post subject: Leniczek family name origins

Hello. My surname is Leniczek. I have reason to believe it is Polish, hinted by the “cz” and the fact that my ancestors emigrated from 1890s Galicia (the Zhovkva region to be specific) and immigration documents list them as being of Polish descent (and speaking Polish).

Perhaps someone can help me understand the meaning behind the name too. I understand “czek” as being a common diminutive ending, and am thinking perhaps the beginning “Leni” comes from the Polish word lenno, meaning feif. Perhaps the son of a land tenant (farmer)?

Wondering also when the -czek suffix tradition would have stopped and when they would have switched to simply passing the family name on paternally.
MikeP

Replies: 18

Post Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 12:02 am      Post subject: Leniczek family name origins

Hi Rex,

Suffixes such as -czek, -czak, -czyk, and -czuk are added to a noun stem to form a surname. They can be either patronymic or diminutive. The suffix -ek is typically a diminutive ending. An important reference book on Polish surnames is William Hoffman's "Polish Surnames: Origins and Meanings", 3rd edition. According to Hoffman's book, the stem Len- is from len, "flax" (plant or tree) or from leń, "lazy-bones" (personal trait) of from the short form of the given name Lenard a variant of Leonard. The book lists several surnames: Len, Leń, Leńczuk, Leńczyk. I've checked the Geneteka Website for the surname Leniczek. A search with an exact match showed only 7 vital records from Ukraine. This surname may not be very common. The Polish spelling of Zhovka is Żółkiew. I'm not aware of any suffix tradition. Once a family has started using a surname with or without a suffix type ending they tend to continue using that surname.

Best of luck with your research.

Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Origins of surnames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: