PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 64

Post Posted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:23 pm      Post subject: Joseph Kaminski - What happened to him?

Great, great grandfather, Joseph Kaminski, born 1830, Garczyn Parish, Pomerania, married Elizabeth Lemke (1836-1897) in 1859 in Garczyn. I can't locate his arrival to Milwaukee (Elizabeth and son arrived 1887) possible departure or death, although he signed as witness to marriage of his son, Stanislaus and bride Valeria Rakowska in 1887. He isn't in any census, buried in family plot at St. Adalbert, Milwaukee, or in the directory (Elizabeth as widow). However, the eldest son, Johann, returned to Pomerania in 1899 for a short trip. I also checked immigration docs.

Joseph Kamiński
1830–
BIRTH 19 FEB. 1830 • Płachty, Garczyn, Pomerania, Poland

DEATH unknown

Screen Shot 2022-07-16 at 7.03.29 PM.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.25 MB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Description:
 Filesize:  1.25 MB

Send e-mail
BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 655

Post Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:26 pm      Post subject: Re: Joseph Kaminski - What happened to him?

skozewski wrote:
Great, great grandfather, Joseph Kaminski, born 1830, Garczyn Parish, Pomerania, married Elizabeth Lemke (1836-1897) in 1859 in Garczyn. I can't locate his arrival to Milwaukee (Elizabeth and son arrived 1887) possible departure or death, although he signed as witness to marriage of his son, Stanislaus and bride Valeria Rakowska in 1887. He isn't in any census, buried in family plot at St. Adalbert, Milwaukee, or in the directory (Elizabeth as widow). However, the eldest son, Johann, returned to Pomerania in 1899 for a short trip. I also checked immigration docs.

Joseph Kamiński
1830–
BIRTH 19 FEB. 1830 • Płachty, Garczyn, Pomerania, Poland

DEATH unknown

Hi Stephen,
Since you couldn't find anything about your great-great-grandfather in the US, I thought he died in Poland. Although you wrote that Joseph Kaminski was a witness at the wedding of Stanislaw and Waleria in 1887.
Joseph and Elisabeth married in 1859. The couple's last child was born in 1873. Since he was born in April, I had to add a few more months.The child could have been born before the father (Joseph) died. You mentioned that Elisabeth came to the United States in 1887 with a son. It is common that, men traveled first or all traveled together. So in my opinion the death took place between 1872-1887.
Joseph Kaminski who witnessed Stanislaw August's wedding was his younger brother (born in 1870). Unfortunately, I did not find the son Johannes, as you mentioned. In addition, Joseph and Elisabeth had children: Franz, Marianna, Izydor, Alexander.
Your great-great-grandfather died in the village of Neu Fietz (Polish Nowy Wiec), on April 20, 1880, aged 50. He was buried in Skarszewy. I am attaching a map for the area, the death certificate from the parish of Skarszewy, and Registry Office Pawlowo. The priest was not good at filling in more than name, place of residence, place of burial. The second document contains everything, but image quality is poor.
Please let me know if you need more help.

Best regards,
-Barb

D-Kaminski Joseph, 1880 Parish Skarszewy.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  902.77 KB

D-Kaminski Joseph, 1880 Parish Skarszewy.jpg

D-Kaminski Joseph, 1880 Registry Office Pawłowo.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  644.73 KB

D-Kaminski Joseph, 1880 Registry Office Pawłowo.JPG

Map.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  100.04 KB

Map.jpg

skozewski

Post Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:48 pm      Post subject: Joseph Kaminski - What happened to him?

BarbOslo

Thank you for researching this puzzle for us...it solves the big mystery of his death. I don't have son Joseph's arrival and there are many of the same name. You actually contacted the parish? I plan to visit in the fall and can follow-up. Johann (1856) also immigrated to Milwaukee...birth records provided by PolishOrigins genealogists. But this is really wonderful!!@ I will study the documents...

Send e-mail
BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:27 pm      Post subject: Re: Joseph Kaminski - What happened to him?

skozewski wrote:
BarbOslo

Thank you for researching this puzzle for us...it solves the big mystery of his death. I don't have son Joseph's arrival and there are many of the same name. You actually contacted the parish? I plan to visit in the fall and can follow-up. Johann (1856) also immigrated to Milwaukee...birth records provided by PolishOrigins genealogists. But this is really wonderful!!@ I will study the documents...

Hmm, so Johann was born before Joseph and Elisabeth married.
No, I didn't contact anyone. I have access to a large database from Prussia. I have everything at home on my PC. All the children were born in the village of Lipschin (Polish Lubieszyn), parish Garczyn. Franz and Marianna died in 1872.

-Barb
skozewski

Post Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:52 am      Post subject: Joseph Kaminski - death record

Barb please tell me what the death certificate says...I can make out some names but not all.
Send e-mail
BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:06 pm      Post subject: Re: Joseph Kaminski - death record

skozewski wrote:
Barb please tell me what the death certificate says...I can make out some names but not all.

No.22
In Gross Paglau* on 21 April 1880

In front of the undersigned registrar appeared today, of known identity,
the laborer Stanislaus* Kaminski
residing in Neu Fietz*
Said that his father, laborer Josef Kaminski
50 years old, of Catholic religion,
residing in Neu Fietz
born in Płachty, married to Elisabeth nee Lemke
Son of the late worker Andreas Kaminski and his wife Marianna née Kalschick (?)
residing in Neu Fietz
died on 20 April 1800, am 7 p.m.

Gross Paglau (Polish Pawłowo)
Stanislaus (Polish Stanisław)
Neu Fietz (Polish Nowy Wiec)
BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:40 pm      Post subject:

....and correction from yesterday.
Joseph was buried in Szczodrowo (German Schadrau), not in Skarszewy.

-Barb
skozewski

Post Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:02 pm      Post subject: Joseph Kaminski - What happened to him?

Thank you, Barb! Is that Familysearch.org?
Send e-mail
BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:36 pm      Post subject: Re: Joseph Kaminski - What happened to him?

skozewski wrote:
Thank you, Barb! Is that Familysearch.org?

What you mean?
Barb
skozewski

Post Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:59 pm      Post subject: Joseph Kaminski - What happened to him?

just curious about the database you use to obtain these documents. This is one i use. http://www.ptg.gda.pl/
Send e-mail
BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 5:38 pm      Post subject: Re: Joseph Kaminski - What happened to him?

skozewski wrote:
just curious about the database you use to obtain these documents. This is one i use. http://www.ptg.gda.pl/

Hi,
Yes, I use http://www.ptg.gda.pl/ for searches, but have access to everything digitized from the State Archives in Gdansk and Diocesan Archives in Pelplin.

-Barb
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> In search of relatives / Poszukiwani krewni All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: