PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Please help
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Author
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 299

Post Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 6:21 am      Post subject:

dnowicki wrote:
iwomi wrote:
Hello, thank you very much for your valuable tips. Maybe there is no tombstone, but probably a grave, a plaque with the name and surname, there is a cross, since there is information about their burial. I don't know how it is in the US. Best regards and thank you Iwona

Cześć Iwona

Jan był członkiem parafii św. Jana Chrzciciela w Amsterdamie zgodnie z dokumentem, który znalazła Sophia (Amsterdam Evening Recorder, Tuesday, 13 December, 1921: Obituary of John Baker). W tym czasie istniały dwie polskie parafie katolickie w Amsterdamie—parafia św. Jana Chrzciciela i parafia św. Stanisława Biskupa i Męczennika. Każda parafia miała własny cmentarz. Mi się zdaje że możliwie został pochowany na cmentarzu św. Jana Chrzciciela.

Obecnie istnieje tylko jedna polska parafia w Amstradamie. W 2010 roku obie parafie zostały połączone i nowa parafia się nazywa parafia św. Stanisława. Księgi metrykalne parafii św. Jana są przechowywane w archiwum parafii św. Stanisława.

Kontakt:
Church of St. Stanislaus
50 Cornell Street
Amsterdam, New York 12010
Email:  [email protected]
Phone: (518) 842-2771
Staff
Rev. O. Robert DeMartini, pastor

Deacon Michael Ryba
Director of Administration and Finance

Dolores Dybas, M.A.
Parish Secretary

Beverly Scott
Office Assistant

Sprawdz te linki: https://dailygazette.com/2010/03/31/0331_church/
https://parishes.rcda.org/ststanislaus/cemetery.php

Serdecznie pozdrawiam z Indiany,

Dawid Nowicki

Good Morning Everyone,

I contacted the Chuch of St. Stanislaus for they hold the records for the cemetery. Their records do not go that far back. The Church does not have any Plot Plans or Plot Profiles of the deceased buried there. They don't even have a map of the cemetery. The Church could not even give me any information except that John Baker and his wife are buried in Section B.

Regards,
Trish
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2793

Post Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 7:26 am      Post subject:

Trish wrote:
dnowicki wrote:
iwomi wrote:
Hello, thank you very much for your valuable tips. Maybe there is no tombstone, but probably a grave, a plaque with the name and surname, there is a cross, since there is information about their burial. I don't know how it is in the US. Best regards and thank you Iwona

Cześć Iwona

Jan był członkiem parafii św. Jana Chrzciciela w Amsterdamie zgodnie z dokumentem, który znalazła Sophia (Amsterdam Evening Recorder, Tuesday, 13 December, 1921: Obituary of John Baker). W tym czasie istniały dwie polskie parafie katolickie w Amsterdamie—parafia św. Jana Chrzciciela i parafia św. Stanisława Biskupa i Męczennika. Każda parafia miała własny cmentarz. Mi się zdaje że możliwie został pochowany na cmentarzu św. Jana Chrzciciela.

Obecnie istnieje tylko jedna polska parafia w Amstradamie. W 2010 roku obie parafie zostały połączone i nowa parafia się nazywa parafia św. Stanisława. Księgi metrykalne parafii św. Jana są przechowywane w archiwum parafii św. Stanisława.

Kontakt:
Church of St. Stanislaus
50 Cornell Street
Amsterdam, New York 12010
Email:  [email protected]
Phone: (518) 842-2771
Staff
Rev. O. Robert DeMartini, pastor

Deacon Michael Ryba
Director of Administration and Finance

Dolores Dybas, M.A.
Parish Secretary

Beverly Scott
Office Assistant

Sprawdz te linki: https://dailygazette.com/2010/03/31/0331_church/
https://parishes.rcda.org/ststanislaus/cemetery.php

Serdecznie pozdrawiam z Indiany,

Dawid Nowicki

Good Morning Everyone,

I contacted the Chuch of St. Stanislaus for they hold the records for the cemetery. Their records do not go that far back. The Church does not have any Plot Plans or Plot Profiles of the deceased buried there. They don't even have a map of the cemetery. The Church could not even give me any information except that John Baker and his wife are buried in Section B.

Regards,
Trish

Hi Trish,

What I wrote about was not so much connected to cemetery records but to the parish registers of baptisms, marriages, & burials. Those registers are usually well preserved and the burial register should contain the name and aged of the deceased as well as the date of death and the date of burial. Usually the name of the cemetery is included but no specifics regarding the plot.

What Sophia wrote about burials without gravestones is absolutely accurate—many burials were in “unmarked” graves. During my high school days I worked a summer job for several years at one of the cemeteries of the Archdiocese of Chicago. The cemeteries had two types of —perpetual care graves and term graves. Perpetual care graves were just as described. They were permanent. Term graves were “rented” for a time—usually for 25 years after the last burial in the section. Then any markers (including lot markers) were removed, fill was added on top of the existing graves and the section could be reused. Term graves were the cheaper option for those who could not afford a permanent grave. This option was most frequently used for babies and infants but was also used for adults. After the term expired the family had the option of transferring the body to a perpetual care grave. Most did not avail themselves of that option for any number of reasons. The terms of two baby & infant sections in the cemetery where I worked had expired and the grade of the section was in the process of being raised with fill. (By that time the State of Illinois required that burial vaults be used for all burials, which meant that there was an excess of soil when a grave was dug. This excess was used to raise the grade of former term grave sections.) Within the past 20 years both those baby sections have been reused for adult perpetual care graves. When a section was reused whatever remained of the original burials remained in place so what was left of the original occupant of the grave was still there but now there is no way to determine the exact location of the original burial.

My additional point was that the Sacramental Registers of St. John the Baptist Church (where Jan/John and Wiktoria were members) are now housed at St. Stanislaus and could prove helpful for info regarding their children and possibly for their marriage, if the married in New York State.

All the best,

Dave
Trish
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:36 am      Post subject:

Trish wrote:

Good Morning Everyone,

Regards,
Trish

Hi Dave,

When I posted about contacting the Church, I only used your response in order to add my post. My post for some reason would not just post by itself without having a quote attached to it. So sorry if you thought I was stating something different than what you wrote or what Sophia wrote. I am always impressed of your knowledge and everyone's kindness on this forum.

Getting back to my post, I was just disappointed that St. Stanislaus Church did not have any records on who is buried in their cemetery. I was hoping to obtain a plot profile. Most cemeteries in Pennsylvania have plot profiles which could list a variety of information from date of burial as well as who is all buried in the plot, etc.

Once again, sorry for the misunderstanding of my post.

Regards,
Trish
iwomi

Replies: 30

Post Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:41 am      Post subject:

Thank you very much. I thought that since there is information on the find the grave website, there will be no problem finding the grave. I see it's very complicated. Thanks to Sophia, I have an obituary about John's death, it means a lot to me already, I know the cause of his death. I am very grateful for your commitment, best regards
Trish
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:48 am      Post subject:

iwomi wrote:
Thank you very much. I thought that since there is information on the find the grave website, there will be no problem finding the grave. I see it's very complicated. Thanks to Sophia, I have an obituary about John's death, it means a lot to me already, I know the cause of his death. I am very grateful for your commitment, best regards

Hi Iwona,

I am attaching the New York State Death Index for John Baker. I am attaching the obituaries for his two daughers, Josphine and Jane.

Regards,
Trish

John Baker Death Information.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  642.82 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

John Baker Death Information.jpg

Josephine Baker Jendrzejczak Obituary.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Josephine Baker Jendrzejczak Obituary.pdf
 Filesize:  64.27 KB
 Downloaded:  47 Time(s)

Jane Baker Viscusi Obituary.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Jane Baker Viscusi Obituary.pdf
 Filesize:  221.01 KB
 Downloaded:  48 Time(s)

iwomi

Post Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 11:03 am      Post subject:

hi, obituaries of Josephine Jendrzejczak and Jane Viscusi I managed to find, but thank you very much, best regards Iwona
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1034

Post Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 2:12 pm      Post subject:

Hi Iwona and all the best genealogy helpers on the planet,

I think you have two more possible ways of getting the photo from the cemetery, if a grave marker does exist.

First, you can see on the Find A Grave website that there is a person who took photos from the Saint Stanislaus Cemetery. Barb already contacted Matthew Bielawa, but there is a second person, Tom King, as you can see here:
https://www.findagrave.com/cemetery/2140420/saint-stanislaus-cemetery/photo
Tom King is more recent, adding photos in 2021. I suggest you try to contact him, unless you already tried.

Second, there is a family tree on Family Search, which includes your John and Victoria Baker. If you go to this page:
https://www.familysearch.org/tree/person/details/G7PP-KC3
and scroll down the page, look at the right side where it shows "Latest Changes." There you see that "MikeBaker75" was working on this family tree in 2021. I suggest you try to contact him, unless you already tried. He may have a photo of the grave, or at least know where it is in Section B of the cemetery.

On another note, I see you and Trish have been discussing all kinds of other records for this family and you seem to have collected a lot already. Do you also have John or Victoria's passenger manifests for when they emigrated?

Wishing you all the best of luck with this search,
Sophia
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1034

Post Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 2:27 pm      Post subject:

And one more...
Liz Genea seems to have posted several photos of gravestones, very recently, with death dates in the early 1920's. Here is one example:
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/238457472/cecylia-andrzejewski/photo
BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 709

Post Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 4:16 pm      Post subject:

Hi everyone,
I sent an email to both Tom and Liz.
-Barb
iwomi

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 12:59 am      Post subject:

hello everyone Sophia, I wrote to "MikeBaker75" a long time ago because I saw that he has my Bakers in his tree. Silence. He didn't answer me. I wrote to him again today. It might just work this time. John Baker left for the USA in 1907. I have his manifesto. On the other hand, Victoria, from what I was able to find, was born in the USA, her parents were Polish, but when they left Poland I don't know.
I am very grateful for your help, you are wonderful, warm greetings to all Iwona
iwomi

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:13 am      Post subject:

BarbOslo, nie wiem czy udało mi się wysłać wiadomość prywatną z załącznikiem. John Baker to brat mojej babci Zofii Jankowskiej z domu Beker. Pisownia tego nazwiska była bardzo różna. Beker, Becker, a w Stanach Baker, pozdrawiam
jimpaprocki

Replies: 9

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:52 am      Post subject: James J Baker

iwomi wrote:
hi, obituaries of Josephine Jendrzejczak and Jane Viscusi I managed to find, but thank you very much, best regards Iwona

Prawdopodobnie masz również nekrolog James J. Baker. Jest na tej stronie:

https://www.genealogybuff.com/ny/montgomery/webbbs_config.pl/noframes/read/153

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/103944777/james-j-baker

Pozdrawiam,
Jim P.
iwomi

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:41 am      Post subject:

Bardzo Ci dziękuję Jim, mam nekrolog Jamesa i zdjęcie nagrobku również. Nie udało mi się odnaleźć więcej informacji na temat jego dzieci, szukałam kontaktu, pozdrawiam serdecznie Iwona
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Poland and its people in old photographs and postcards All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 Page 3 of 3

Jump to: