PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 150

Post Posted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 4:51 pm      Post subject: Polish death traditions

My great, great grandparents came to America around 1885. However, they return to Lozdzieje somewhere between 1888 and 1891 for reasons unknown. The parents of my great, great grandfather, Frank, were farmers and he was the first born. I am wondering what his traditional responsibilities were to his parents if his father took sick and he couldn't take care of the farm? I do not know the date of Frank's fathers death but I "think" it was around 1901. What about after his fathers death, did the first born son have any traditional responsibilities to his mother? They leave again to come back to America in 1895, and his mother doesn't pass till 1908, so I guess I'm trying to find a reason why they came home and then left again?

Thanks
Bob Rymsza
BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 692

Post Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 5:36 am      Post subject: Re: Polish death traditions

brymsza wrote:
My great, great grandparents came to America around 1885. However, they return to Lozdzieje somewhere between 1888 and 1891 for reasons unknown. The parents of my great, great grandfather, Frank, were farmers and he was the first born. I am wondering what his traditional responsibilities were to his parents if his father took sick and he couldn't take care of the farm? I do not know the date of Frank's fathers death but I "think" it was around 1901. What about after his fathers death, did the first born son have any traditional responsibilities to his mother? They leave again to come back to America in 1895, and his mother doesn't pass till 1908, so I guess I'm trying to find a reason why they came home and then left again?

Thanks
Bob Rymsza

Hello Bob,
In most cases, the trip to America in the years 1870-1920 was a one-way trip. It cost a lot. People sold everything they owned. The whole family helped to pay for this trip. When the families said goodbye, they knew that they would probably see each other for the last time. It was a strain on the old parents.
There have been permanent returns to Poland, as well as returns for a short period. They came back for different reasons. It can be missing the family, illness in the family, adjustment problems, language etc.
Traditionally, the farm was taken over by the eldest son. The families lived more together than it is today. They help each other.
You don't say if your ancestor was the only son or perhaps the only living child. I think that there must have been important reasons for them to return to Łoździeje. And see if it was only your great, great grandfather who returned, or the whole family.

Best,
-Barb
brymsza

Replies: 150

Post Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 2:49 pm      Post subject: Re: Polish death traditions

BarbOslo wrote:
brymsza wrote:

Thanks
Bob Rymsza

Hello Bob,
In most cases, the trip to America in the years 1870-1920 was a one-way trip. It cost a lot. People sold everything they owned. The whole family helped to pay for this trip. When the families said goodbye, they knew that they would probably see each other for the last time. It was a strain on the old parents.
There have been permanent returns to Poland, as well as returns for a short period. They came back for different reasons. It can be missing the family, illness in the family, adjustment problems, language etc.
Traditionally, the farm was taken over by the eldest son. The families lived more together than it is today. They help each other.
You don't say if your ancestor was the only son or perhaps the only living child. I think that there must have been important reasons for them to return to Łoździeje. And see if it was only your great, great grandfather who returned, or the whole family.

Best,
-Barb

Thanks Barb. In this case, all 8 of the known children left Łoździeje. One went to Sejny, one to Warsaw, and the other 6 to America where they all lived within 10 miles of each other, at least in the beginning. To the best of my knowledge, my great, great grandparents were the only ones to return if only temporarily. I am wondering, since none of the others came back, if my great, great grandparents returned to make a go of it on the family farm and then sold it when things didn't work out? Perhaps finding other accommodations for his mother with a member of her, or their, family? Regardless, no "Rymsza's" were on her death record.

Thanks Bob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Other topics related to Poland and Polish roots All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: