PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Research Dead End
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Author
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 709

Post Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:00 am      Post subject:

Hi Sophia, Monika and Christian,

Manifest – 1911
Name: Grablewska Jadwiga
Last permanent residence: Beresuk
Name and address of nearest relative: father Jan Makicki, Brzecowce, Wolyn, Russia

Manifest – 1912
Name: Makicki Karol
Last permanent residence: Bierozug
Name and address of nearest relative: brother Jan Makicki, Bierozug, Wilna, Russia

Name: Makicki Jozef
Last permanent residence: Bierozug
Name and address of nearest relative: father Jan Makicki, Bierozug, Wilna, Russia

So, surname for Jadwiga Grablewska (may also be Wroblewska, Rublewska). The age is suitable. Karol was Jan's brother. Jan was the father of Jadwiga and Jozef (later referred to as Jozef Jan).

The age of both is suitable. The places Bierozug and Beresuk sound quite similar. We know from before that the search must be in the Lida area (Belarus).
Near Lida I found 3 places:
Berdowka – 15 km
Berezowce – 30 km
Brzozówka – 25 km
+
Bierozówka - 35 km from Wilno, but it is not Wolyn.

Now come two Russian words:
Brzoza (polish) = Береза (russian) = birch (english)
Brzozówka (polish) = Березовка (Russian), Berezowka

So in my opinion both Berezowce and Brzozowka can be the place we are looking for.
In the parish of Wawiórka is the village of Brzozówka, indexed on Genetyka. Surnames Makicki, Rublewski, Wroblewski can be seen.
In Wawiórka (Brzozówka) we see Karol and the children of Jan, but Jadwiga or Jozef are not listed, and no Makicki after 1887. Has the family moved?

1870 Karol Makicki

1872 Jan Mokicki (s.Szymon, Ludwika Wilkiel) and Agata Chadysz (d. Kazimierz, Józefa Mikuć parish Wawiórka.
1873 Stanisława Makicka Jan
1878 Kazimierz Makicki Jan
1881 Ludwik Makicki Jan
1884 Franciszka Makicka Jan
1887 Marianna Makicka Jan

If this Karol was the brother of Jan (the father of Jadwiga and Jozef), then the age difference between the two is quite large.
Sophia, Monika do you have any thoughts?

Regards,
-Barb

Lida2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  361.12 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Lida2.jpg

Lida.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  310.41 KB

Lida.jpg

mm_88

Replies: 63

Post Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:02 am      Post subject:

Hi Barb,
I've checked the records for Wawiórka and this is what I found:

Szymon Mokicki/Mackiewicz + Ludwika Wilkel/Wilczewska:
1849 Jan, 1852 Konstancja, 1854 Kazimierz, 1858 Antoni

Ludwika died in 1859

Szymon Makicki/Mackiewicz + Marianna Chadysz (married 1861):
1862 Józefa, 1864 Marianna, 1866 Anna, 1868 Michał, 1870 Karol

So Jan & Karol must be the oldest and the youngest of Szymon's children.

BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:26 am      Post subject:

Could that be "our" Antoni?

-Barb:)

Grablewski Antoni.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  86.2 KB

Grablewski Antoni.jpg

Last edited by BarbOslo on Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2793

Post Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:53 am      Post subject:

mm_88 wrote:
Hello,

there is a passenger list for Jadwiga Grablewska from Beresuk (?), Russia, daughter of Jan Makicki, traveling in 1911 to her husband Anthony Grablewski. I can't read his address, but maybe it is somewhere in S Dak (South Dakota)? https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JJKQ-S6F

There is also a passenger list for Josef Makicki from Bierozug (?), Russia, son of Jan Makicki, traveling in 1912 with his uncle Karol Makicki but their final destination is New York, not South Dakota. So it might be just a similarity of surnames, although there was Karol Makicki in Wawiórka parish that Barb mentioned (there are also records for Jan and Agata Makicki). https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JJR4-W3G

Howdy All,

Some input from someone who many moons ago passed through South Dakota on the way to Yellowstone and Glacier and then returned via North Dakota...I believe that the name of the place is Java which is located approximately 73 miles to the west of Aberdeen. https://www.google.com/maps/place/Java,+SD+57452/@45.468187,-99.8495129,9z/data=!4m6!3m5!1s0x52d43fa5b5444035:0xa38a52be764ea78a!8m2!3d45.5033204!4d-99.8865083!16zL20vMF9zbXA?entry=ttu Aberdeen was the second largest city in South Dakota in 1910 And had a population of 10,753. The population of the entire state was 583,888 And the population of the state has not increased very much in the decades since 1910. In 2020 the population of the state was 892,717, which would seem to mean that there are more prairie dogs in South Dakota than there are human beings. Java was probably the place where trail hands would stop for a cup of Joe and or a shot of red eye. (Ha,Ha.)

The number of immigrants from Poland who settled in South Dakota obviously was rather small so immigrants would have to blend into the Anglo or Native American population rather than maintain their individuality in Polish American communities. There was only one Polish Parish in the entire state, St Joseph in Grenville. If you are interested in the demographics of South Dakota in 1910 here is a link to a government publication https://www2.census.gov/library/publications/decennial/1910/volume-3/volume-3-p6.pdf

Thoughts on Jadwiga/Vega...Some of the more common diminutives in Polish for the given name Jadwiga are Jadzia, Jaga, Iga, Wiga, Wisia. Obviously Vega is the English phonetic form of the Polish diminutive Wiga. As an answer to Sophia’s question of how did she go from being known as Vega to Minnie the short answer is that that is what she and or her family decided to call her. A substantial number of Polish immigrants chose to use English names which had no relation to their actual given name in Polish. How else did so many male immigrants whose actual name was Wojciech adopt the English name George? I doubt that they were forerunners of George Foreman’s naming strategy. For some reason George appealed to them just as Minnie must have appealed to Jadwiga. As Shakespeare wrote “A Rose by Any Other Name still smelleth sweet”.

So much for my unsolicited input.

Dave
roblewsky

Replies: 7

Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:22 pm      Post subject:

This is so much good information. I appreciate everyone's help.

Sofia- I haven't found anything that would give reason for the name Minnie. I have seen around that time period a lot of women named Minnie. My great grandmother on my maternal side went by Minnie as well, maybe it was just a popular nickname at the time. I was also thinking that maybe her middle name may have been Marieanna, in the 1925 Census she listed her name as Anna so that could be the reason. I am just guessing at this point. As far as why Josef went to New York or New Jersey might have been his initial destination, but later moved to Aberdeen to be near his sister. This is also just a guess.

Barb- I am confident the ship manifest for Jadwiga going to South Dakota is for my great grandmother. The ship manifest for Josef lists the departure point as Rotterdam. Josef's naturalization paperwork says they left from Bremen. Maybe he was mistaken and they actually did leave from Rotterdam, the dates seem to align with his arrival in New York. I checked the Elis Island website, and only three people with the surname Makicki show up. As rare as the surname is, I would imagine the ship manifest for Karol and Josef is the correct one. The obituary for Vega said she had two brothers, Casper and William, still in Poland. The Geneteka lists a Kazimierz Makicki, maybe he was also known as Casper. I think the two villages/towns nearest Wawiórka are probably the best options.

Monika- Thank you for helping out with this research, I will have to look more closely at those names you have found. It seems very probable these are my ancestors.

Dave- Your input is greatly appreciated. I have researched the town of Java South Dakota and that is exactly how the town got its name, the railworkers would go there to get coffee. The first census I have for Antoni is for the County of Wolworth South Dakota, which is where Java is located.
BarbOslo
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:04 am      Post subject:

roblewsky wrote:
This is so much good information. I appreciate everyone's help.

Sofia- I haven't found anything that would give reason for the name Minnie. I have seen around that time period a lot of women named Minnie. My great grandmother on my maternal side went by Minnie as well, maybe it was just a popular nickname at the time. I was also thinking that maybe her middle name may have been Marieanna, in the 1925 Census she listed her name as Anna so that could be the reason. I am just guessing at this point. As far as why Josef went to New York or New Jersey might have been his initial destination, but later moved to Aberdeen to be near his sister. This is also just a guess.

Barb- I am confident the ship manifest for Jadwiga going to South Dakota is for my great grandmother. The ship manifest for Josef lists the departure point as Rotterdam. Josef's naturalization paperwork says they left from Bremen. Maybe he was mistaken and they actually did leave from Rotterdam, the dates seem to align with his arrival in New York. I checked the Elis Island website, and only three people with the surname Makicki show up. As rare as the surname is, I would imagine the ship manifest for Karol and Josef is the correct one. The obituary for Vega said she had two brothers, Casper and William, still in Poland. The Geneteka lists a Kazimierz Makicki, maybe he was also known as Casper. I think the two villages/towns nearest Wawiórka are probably the best options.

Monika- Thank you for helping out with this research, I will have to look more closely at those names you have found. It seems very probable these are my ancestors.

Dave- Your input is greatly appreciated. I have researched the town of Java South Dakota and that is exactly how the town got its name, the railworkers would go there to get coffee. The first census I have for Antoni is for the County of Wolworth South Dakota, which is where Java is located.

Hi,
I don't think it matters that they left from different ports. Polish emigrants used several places as departures. Although not many Makicki appear on Genetyka, surnames can have different variants such as Mąkicki, Mokicki, Mikicki, Mękicki. You reminded me of Jadwiga's obituary. Jadwiga and Jan also had 2 siblings in Poland who were still alive in 1933. Jan and Jadwiga are popular names, but not Kacper and William. Kacper is not Kazimierz. These two names are pronounced quite differently. Perhaps the search must be expanded. Since both siblings are men, there is a high chance that the surname was passed on.
Indexing in Wawiorka ends in the year 1889. Jadwiga was born in 1886. So even if the others were born later, she had to be included in the index. I think we need to look elsewhere than Brzozowka in parish Wawiorka. The only person who fits there with a name and approximate year of birth is uncle Karol.
-Barb
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research Resources, Tools & Tips All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Page 2 of 2

Jump to: