PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 30

Post Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:42 pm      Post subject: Occupation? in German?

I have attached an extract of a baptism entry and I think that a word (underlined in red) may possibly be an occupation - but if so, I can't make it out.

This is the link to the entry on FS - 28th August, 1785 -

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33S7-8BT7-HYY?i=164&cc=1554443&cat=1056938

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

JilliN

Translation.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.33 MB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Translation.jpg

Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1030

Post Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:36 pm      Post subject: Re: Occupation? in German?

Jillian W wrote:
I have attached an extract of a baptism entry and I think that a word (underlined in red) may possibly be an occupation - but if so, I can't make it out.

This is the link to the entry on FS - 28th August, 1785 -

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33S7-8BT7-HYY?i=164&cc=1554443&cat=1056938

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

JilliN

Hi Jillian,
Your image is from Family Search film #005223278, and according to the notes for that film, the language in the records is Latin and Hungarian. I can see you already asked about it as a Latin occupation and Dave replied that it was not. He suggested it was in German, but it does not look that way to me.
Perhaps you might try to look for lists of Hungarian words for occupations that appear in genealogy records.
I cannot make out what they say. The rest of what is written there looks like Latin.
One additional approach is to find baptisms of other children for this couple, and see if those provide greater clarity.
Best of luck in solving it,
Sophia
Trish
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 299

Post Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:29 am      Post subject:

Hi Jillian and Sophia,
Familysearch.org has some word lists that might be helpful to you.

Hungarian word list
https://www.familysearch.org/en/wiki/Hungarian_Genealogical_Word_List

Latin word list
https://www.familysearch.org/en/wiki/Latin_Genealogical_Word_List

Polish word list
https://www.familysearch.org/en/wiki/img_auth.php/6/6c/Polish_Genealogical_Word_List.pdf
https://www.familysearch.org/en/wiki/Polish_Genealogical_Word_List

Regards,
Trish
Jillian W

Post Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:48 am      Post subject: Occupation? German?

Hello Trish and Sophia,

Thank you for taking the time to try and help me out - it's much appreciated.

I should have explained that I have already been through the church register to see if this particular word had been used again - but sadly no.

I've also searched the internet and been through many lists of occupations in Latin, Germany, Hungarian, Slovak - and to my totally inexperienced eye I'm still unable to make sense of this word. I had plumped for Latin as all the other occupations given [and there aren't that many] appear to have been written in Latin.

I've also tried doing 'reverse' searches by selecting an occupation in English and using a translation service to see the word in all the above languages - but I haven't come across anything similar.

The only word that I can see is 'Eduillaror' - but that doesn't appear to be a word in any language!

Hopefully I'll come across this word again - probably when I least expect it!

Jillian
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1030

Post Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:50 pm      Post subject: Re: Occupation? German?

Jillian W wrote:
Hello Trish and Sophia,

I should have explained that I have already been through the church register to see if this particular word had been used again - but sadly no.

I've also searched the internet and been through many lists of occupations in Latin, Germany, Hungarian, Slovak - and to my totally inexperienced eye I'm still unable to make sense of this word. I had plumped for Latin as all the other occupations given [and there aren't that many] appear to have been written in Latin.

I've also tried doing 'reverse' searches by selecting an occupation in English and using a translation service to see the word in all the above languages - but I haven't come across anything similar.

The only word that I can see is 'Eduillaror' - but that doesn't appear to be a word in any language!

Jillian

Hi Jillian and Trish,
Of course, I always wanted to grow up to be an Eduillaror, but no one could tell me what courses I needed to take!
Sorry, Jillian, when I first looked at this I thought we were looking at two words, both underlined in red. Now I realize it is one word, divided into two lines. I can only add one thought here, which is that I see the second piece as "lator" rather than "laror." Conveniently, that fits a lot more occupations. I went through Dave's list of Latin words for occupations which is lengthier than the one provided by Family Search:
https://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?p=58400&highlight=occupations#58400
and I see there is aucellator, follator, macellator, pastellator and sellator, none of which seems to quite match your word. I do hope you are able to figure it out.
Best regards,
Sophia
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2792

Post Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:15 pm      Post subject: Re: Occupation? German?

Sophia wrote:
Jillian W wrote:
Hello Trish and Sophia,

Jillian

Hi Jillian and Trish,
Of course, I always wanted to grow up to be an Eduillaror, but no one could tell me what courses I needed to take!
Sorry, Jillian, when I first looked at this I thought we were looking at two words, both underlined in red. Now I realize it is one word, divided into two lines. I can only add one thought here, which is that I see the second piece as "lator" rather than "laror." Conveniently, that fits a lot more occupations. I went through Dave's list of Latin words for occupations which is lengthier than the one provided by Family Search:
https://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?p=58400&highlight=occupations#58400
and I see there is aucellator, follator, macellator, pastellator and sellator, none of which seems to quite match your word. I do hope you are able to figure it out.
Best regards,
Sophia

Salvate (Hi, you all),

Things make a lot more sense once I looked at the whole page which I did not do originally. The entire entry is clearly in Latin and the record is from Slovakia. I have an unsolicited suggestion for you all— instead of concentrating on that one word take a break. After looking at a couple of pages I’m not convinced that the first letter is e. It certainly does not resemble the uppercase E in names like Eva. It’s probably an occupation although the majority of the entries on that page and the previous page and the following page give the status of most of the fathers. The status word used very frequently in these entries is “Pleb(es)”, Which means a commoner. The only other word I see without doing extensive research is the word for a servant—“servus”. My first suggestion would be that rather than concentrating on that one word you look for other children of that couple either prior to the birth of this child or after it, Perhaps the same word will appear but in a clearer form. I would say that looking through the pages for that particular occupation or status would be an exercise in frustration. With any kind of luck the couple had more than one child and so the status or occupation will appear in another entry or entries.

The handy hint… Latin nouns ending in “or” are generally occupations. However there are many occupations which do not end in the letters “or”.

So much for unsolicited advice.

Valate (farewell, you all.)

Dave
Jillian W

Post Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:05 pm      Post subject: Occupation? German/Latin?

Hello Sophia and Dave,

I can see now that I should have given more information at the time of first posting - and I apologise. I do have the baptisms for all of this couple's children and unfortunately only two entries show what could be an occupation.

I've attached an extract of the second entry which might be an abbreviated form of my previous posting, but I'm really not sure. Other members of this family were recorded as either millers and masons [molitor and murator].

Link to the original image on FS - 3rd July.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33S7-9BT7-H8S?i=252&cc=1554443&cat=1056938

Jillian

Joannes.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  234.14 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Joannes.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: