PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 59

Post Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:08 pm      Post subject: Year of Photo (Family Members in Army Uniforms)

Recently, received a copy of this photo. Supposedly, these are my family members--gr-gr-grandfather, his brother and sons. However, do not which gr-gr-grandfather! If someone could pinnpoint a period of a few years, possibly we could figure this out. Attached is this photo. They were Poles living in Galicia, southeast of Ternopil (village of Hlibow, near Grzymalow). Thanks, Mary

Gnyp or Kaminski Austrian soldiers.jpg
 Description:
What period of time might this be, etc.? My gr-gr-grandfather, brother and sons.
 Filesize:  306.23 KB
 Viewed:  4953 Time(s)

Gnyp or Kaminski Austrian soldiers.jpg

Mary Pate

Post Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:53 pm      Post subject:

In conjunction of my message on figuring out when picture of my family was taken. Does anyone know when photographs like this, presumably commercial, began in Galicia (Austrian Poles)? I did read somewhere that it was common for soldiers to have their picture taken and also carry it with them. Any comment on that? Just searchiing.
Cheri Vanden Berg
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 497

Post Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:50 am      Post subject:

Mary,
It's really an interesting photo. Does it have the photographer's name on the back? That might be able to narrow the year down a bit. Have you seen the military portraits thread here at Polish Origins:
http://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?t=728&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
In your photo, the white hats (or maybe some other light color) on the man in front, and the man standing holding it in back are interesting, and might help you date it. Shellie mentioned putting her ancestor's photo on this forum:
http://austrohungarianlandforcesdiscussionforum.yuku.com/forums/1#.Uc2Q_F8o7cs
Maybe you'd want to post your photo there as well, or look through the site to see if anyone has posted anything similar.
Cheri

Last edited by Cheri Vanden Berg on Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Mary Pate

Post Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:55 am      Post subject: Identifying Military Photo

Cheri,
Thanks for the info. I did not know of those two sites. My cousin has the original (I think) photo from his grandma (my gr-aunt). Have to ask him to check out back side of photo. I'm going to print out your messge w/the two sites now.

As for the white hats--yes, I noticed that, thinking the older man on lower right was an officer or NCO type and one in back, maybe a cadet.

Thanks again,
Mary
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Poland and its people in old photographs and postcards All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: