PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PolishOrigins Team

Replies: 748

Post Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:03 am      Post subject: Your favourite Polish dishes - POLL

As some of you probably know we have arranged the quiz on our Facebook site yesterday.
The indisputable winners of this competition are pierogi, which knocked out żurek, mushroom soup, bigos, mizeria and gołąbki. You can see the quiz here: https://www.facebook.com/PolishOrigins?fref=ts.

Maybe you have some other suggestions? Or you would like to see some recipe here? Need culinary advice? I can consult the cases with my both grannies, the authorities in this discipline...
Visit poster's website
Elzbieta Porteneuve
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 3098

Post Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:48 am      Post subject: Summer, time for garden's grown fruits, jams and jellies.

Summer, time for garden's grown fruits, jams and jellies. Translating names of berries in English has always been very difficult ... red currants? In French groseilles rouges. In Polish czerwone porzeczki.

Wspomnienia z dziecinstwa ... Souvenirs souvenirs ...

Groseilles-gelee-20130708.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  77.77 KB
 Viewed:  23282 Time(s)

Groseilles-gelee-20130708.jpg

Agnieszka Pawlus
PolishOrigins Team

Post Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:13 am      Post subject:

Salut Elzbieta! Tes photos sont magnifiques! Je me sens inspiree et je DOIS faire des fruits gelees cette semaine aussi Smile

Thank you. For me also the currants, cherries and berries are the best taste of the summer.
And here is the picture that I made today in one of markets in Krakow:

[/img]

053.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  222.83 KB

053.jpg

Visit poster's website
Elzbieta Porteneuve
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:18 am      Post subject:

Aga Pawlus wrote:
Salut Elzbieta! Tes photos sont magnifiques! Je me sens inspiree et je DOIS faire des fruits gelees cette semaine aussi Smile

Thank you. For me also the currants, cherries and berries are the best taste of the summer.
And here is the picture that I made today in one of markets in Krakow:

[/img]

Aga,
Sliczne zdjecie z Krakowa.
Ale ale, to na zdjeciu to nie sa prawdziwe polskie jagody, takie ktore maja smak, te ktore znam z dziecinstwa i pierogow mamusinych, te ktore sama zbieralam w lesie w Debkach nad Baltykiem, czy w Bieszczadach - to sa pieronsko zadne jagody ktore ja nazywam plastikowe.

Mocno pozdrawiam,
Elzbieta
Agnieszka Pawlus
PolishOrigins Team

Post Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:26 am      Post subject:

Święta prawda Smile ale takie prawdziwe też już są....

Pozdrowienia!
Aga
Visit poster's website
Elzbieta Porteneuve
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:46 am      Post subject:

Aga Pawlus wrote:
Święta prawda Smile ale takie prawdziwe też już są....

Pozdrowienia!
Aga

Aga, ah jak te jagody zaczely za mna chodzic! Jade do Warszawy na 5 dni, koniec lipca, jak juz beda to zrobie zdjecia, kupie, i zrobie takze pierogi. Serdecznie pozdrawiam.

Elzbieta
All Polska

Replies: 48

Post Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:39 am      Post subject:

Yes, I love perogi, but one of my many favorites is Halushki. It was made by my paternal Polish family, but not my Maternal Polish family. It is home made potato dumplings sauteed in butter with cabbage & onions Smile YUM!
Agnieszka Pawlus
PolishOrigins Team

Post Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:03 am      Post subject:

All Polska, this is interesting. I also love Halushki, but so far I knew it as a typical Slovak dish. I have checked it now and you are right: it is known in the mountain regions in southern Poland. I like the version with bryndza (sheep milk cheese) and bacon greaves. Thank you for reminding me this Smile
Visit poster's website
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:40 am      Post subject:

Aga,
There are so many tasty Polish dishes that it is difficult to determine which is the favorite. Pierogi are high on the list but so is kielbasa (especially biala). Right up there are also kotlety siekane, rolady po Krakowsku and flaczki.
Your posts with Elzbieta about summer fruits reminds me so much of my maternal grandfather. When I was growing up we lived in the same house with my maternal grandparents in Chicago. My grandfather retired the same year I was born and so I spent much time with him as a child. He always had a large vegetable garden together with some fruit trees and berry bushes. He lived in Paniewek, Kujawsko-Pomorskie before coming to America at age 21 and when he would speak about the fruits he enjoyed in Poland in comparison to those he grew here he always felt those in Poland tasted better...w Polsce maja caly inny smak. Perhaps some day I'll travel to Poland and see if he was correct.
Dave
fiverus

Replies: 19

Post Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:22 am      Post subject:

Does anybody have a good recipe for Spare ribs and saurerkraut? or Saurerkraut recipes?

Thanks,
Karen
Agnieszka Pawlus
PolishOrigins Team

Post Posted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:26 am      Post subject: Sauerkraut recipe

Hello Karen!

In my family there is a great recipe for home made sauerkraut. We are using it since a few generations. In is not a plain cabbage but with some other vegetables (carrots, onion, parsley). It can be served cold as a salad (with apple added), or it can be the base for soup - kapuśniak, or can be prepared hot (with mushrooms or beans) - this version would be the best to serve with spareribs.

Here is the recipe:
As per my grandmother's advice the preparations must be started before the end of October, otherwise the cabbage will not have a nice smell (I have no idea why...)

Ingredients:

5 kilos of white cabbage (the proportions are for whole family, to have enough for whole winter)
1 kilo of carrots
0,5 kilo of onion
0,25 kilo of celery root
0,25 kilo of parsley root
5 spoons of salt

Shred the cabbage. Cut the onions into tiny slices. Grate the carrots, celery and parsley on the large holes grater. Mix all ingredients (add salt). Now the most important thing: place it in the large clay pot (like the one from the attached pictures) and press them very hard. The juices from the vegetables should be well squeezed and it must cover the cabbage all the time. In the old times the cabbage was trampled in the large barrel by foot.

If it is ready just put on top the plate and something heavy: a stone or a kitchen mortar.

Finally just cover the pot with some cloth and leave it for about 2 weeks. After about 12 days you can start tasting and checking if it is ready.

Then put the sauerkraut in smaller jars, put on top of each jar about a teaspoon of olive oil and pasteurize the sauerkraut.

Smacznego!

kiszenie_skla.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  74.03 KB

kiszenie_skla.jpg

clay pot.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  30.88 KB

clay pot.jpg

Visit poster's website
BobK
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 231

Post Posted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:39 pm      Post subject: Re: Sauerkraut recipe

Aga Pawlus wrote:

Then put the sauerkraut in smaller jars, put on top of each jar about a teaspoon of olive oil and pasteurize the sauerkraut.

Sounds great! I'll have to give that a try..

How do you pasteurize the sauerkraut? Surely not by cooking??

Bob
Send e-mail
Agnieszka Pawlus
PolishOrigins Team

Post Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:23 am      Post subject:

Bob,

I do pasteurize it by cooking, but is should be a few minutes only (6-8 minutes), just to stop the fermentation process. And remember that sauerkraut in small jars it should be also covered on top by this sour juice (with a little of olive oil added, as I wrote in my recipe).

Greetings,

Aga
Visit poster's website
Mary Pate

Replies: 59

Post Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:50 am      Post subject:

Enjoyed reading all the above. Will have to get on Facebook to see the contest winners. Is that a Polish Facebook page relating to all this?
My favorite, too, are the pierogis.
Interestingly enough, my paternal grandparents came from eastern Galicia and my maternal ones from the old Poznan Province. So, I enjoyed the good things of both styles of cooking. Never had the pickled pigs feet at my Granny Zielinski's house (maternal side). Have my Grandma Gnip's bread recipe, from which to make caramel rolls and the stuffed with prunes, apricots, etc. rolls. Good stuff! The mieszanina that I queried about was also made by my paternal grandmother.

Keep the Polish food coming and make sure your kids have recipes. Had a family reunion last weekend and took copies of recipes for several Polish dishes. You think anybody can make golumbki but they shy away from it, thinking it's too hard. Not!
Mary
Edziu340

Replies: 29

Post Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:06 pm      Post subject: Polish Dish,

My Polish Grandmother used to make dish specially for my father who loved it. I'm not a polish speaker so I'll attempt to spell it. Studzulina. It was pigs knuckles in a vinegar flavored jelly. Anyone on here ever eaten this dish, and know what area of Poland this dish originated?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Polish cuisine All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next Page 1 of 2

Jump to: