PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 70

Post Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:15 am      Post subject:

Tom,
Order! This was a sunny weekend in Warsaw, and with my family and friends we've biked and played our every Sunday tennis, just to "Roll the Bones" with my 63-years old body Smile
In the meanitime, I've checked the EI database with the points given by you, and yes, you are right, they are following records:
# Your Gpa Tomasz Ciesielski, going from European port Antwerp, arrvd to NY port on Sept 23, 1897, as 22 y old young guy, with ethnicity given as "Russia, Polish", LPR is given as Olesnica, he was going in the U.S. to brother Jan Ciesielski in Cleveland, OH, left in Russia/Poland her mother Maria(!) Ciesielska living in Olesnica, Russia.
# His possible brother was immigrated one year earlier, Jan Ciesielski (given in database as Ciesielslei), from port Liverpool, to NY, on Dec 20, 1906, going in the U.S. to his friend Antoni Dziedzic living in Detroit Mich., his POB is given as Olesnica, Russia, no information on the relative left in Russia/Poalnd.
I've located also two members of the family Ciesielski's originated from Olesnica, Russia:
# Stanislaw Ciesielski, as 21 y old, going from Antwerp, arrvd on March 28, 1907, to NY port in 1907, as 21 years old, going in the U.S. to brother-in-low Stanislaw Smolinski(spe?), his POB is given as Olesnica, Russia.
Finally I've located also his sister record, where it is given a little more about the Olesnica, Russia:
# Wiktoria Ciesielska, 17 y old, going from Antwerp, arrvd on Nov 13, 1912 to NY port, going in the U.S. to her brother Stanislaw Ciesielski living in Detroit Mich., her POB and LPR are given as Olesnica, Russia, but with the name of her mother Ewa Ciesielska it is given the place as Olesnica, Kielce (!).
Seems at least two families Ciesielski's from this Olesnica decided to make a big financial effort, and to buy tickets to America for the family young members, giving them a better life chance, and escape before cruel wars killing many young Poles included to Russia-Tzar army, the decicive was time after 1904/1905, and with Russo-Japanese War cruel campaigns in these years.
=
Yes, these EI records confirm all your finds with Olesnica, located in the central part of Poland, south of Kielce. My cordial congratulations.
Now, as Geneteka with indexes is not giving the name of the parents, you must have for eg the birth full record stating the name of the parents (KATARZYNA or MARIA/MARIANNA?), this must be asked in Poland, as FHL/LDS with microfilms in Salt Lake City have years only 1875-1884:
https://familysearch.org/eng/library/fhlcatalog/printing/titledetailsprint.asp?titleno=188584
From this webpage you can see that some records are in Polish state archive Kielce - AP Kielce, and this is the place you must ask for the full record(s):
http://www.kielce.ap.gov.pl/en/
"Pradziad" confirms AP Kielce have for eg this Olesnica births 1875-1890 and 1892-1911, thus, including the birth years of your Gpa Tomasz, and his possible brother Jan:
http://baza.archiwa.gov.pl/sezam/pradziad.php?l=en&miejscowosc=Ole%B6nica&gmina=&wojewodztwo_id=0&wyznanie_id=0&rodzajaktu_id=0&search=search
=
Please note only full records will give you all names, and places, as the POB - exact place of birth and family exact home address would be not the Olesnica (given by many immigrants in documents as parish, and/or nearest local town/court), but any place around.
Tomorrow I will check this Olesnica with the surname location, Polish censuses 1990/2002, and Polish old white pages, would be very interesting to check in any Ciesielski's and/or Czarnecki or Dziedzic survived after 100 years in this Olesnica, and nearby located villages and settlements.
Have a still sunny days in CA!
Tad, Warsaw
TC

Replies: 8

Post Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:47 pm      Post subject: Ciesielski info

TadWysocki wrote:
Tom,
Order! This was a sunny weekend in Warsaw, and with my family and friends we've biked and played our every Sunday tennis, just to "Roll the Bones" with my 63-years old body Smile
In the meanitime, I've checked the EI database with the points given by you, and yes, you are right, they are following records:
# Your Gpa Tomasz Ciesielski, going from European port Antwerp, arrvd to NY port on Sept 23, 1897, as 22 y old young guy, with ethnicity given as "Russia, Polish", LPR is given as Olesnica, he was going in the U.S. to brother Jan Ciesielski in Cleveland, OH, left in Russia/Poland her mother Maria(!) Ciesielska living in Olesnica, Russia.
# His possible brother was immigrated one year earlier, Jan Ciesielski (given in database as Ciesielslei), from port Liverpool, to NY, on Dec 20, 1906, going in the U.S. to his friend Antoni Dziedzic living in Detroit Mich., his POB is given as Olesnica, Russia, no information on the relative left in Russia/Poalnd.
I've located also two members of the family Ciesielski's originated from Olesnica, Russia:
# Stanislaw Ciesielski, as 21 y old, going from Antwerp, arrvd on March 28, 1907, to NY port in 1907, as 21 years old, going in the U.S. to brother-in-low Stanislaw Smolinski(spe?), his POB is given as Olesnica, Russia.
Finally I've located also his sister record, where it is given a little more about the Olesnica, Russia:
# Wiktoria Ciesielska, 17 y old, going from Antwerp, arrvd on Nov 13, 1912 to NY port, going in the U.S. to her brother Stanislaw Ciesielski living in Detroit Mich., her POB and LPR are given as Olesnica, Russia, but with the name of her mother Ewa Ciesielska it is given the place as Olesnica, Kielce (!).
Seems at least two families Ciesielski's from this Olesnica decided to make a big financial effort, and to buy tickets to America for the family young members, giving them a better life chance, and escape before cruel wars killing many young Poles included to Russia-Tzar army, the decicive was time after 1904/1905, and with Russo-Japanese War cruel campaigns in these years.
=
Yes, these EI records confirm all your finds with Olesnica, located in the central part of Poland, south of Kielce. My cordial congratulations.
Now, as Geneteka with indexes is not giving the name of the parents, you must have for eg the birth full record stating the name of the parents (KATARZYNA or MARIA/MARIANNA?), this must be asked in Poland, as FHL/LDS with microfilms in Salt Lake City have years only 1875-1884:
https://familysearch.org/eng/library/fhlcatalog/printing/titledetailsprint.asp?titleno=188584
From this webpage you can see that some records are in Polish state archive Kielce - AP Kielce, and this is the place you must ask for the full record(s):
http://www.kielce.ap.gov.pl/en/
"Pradziad" confirms AP Kielce have for eg this Olesnica births 1875-1890 and 1892-1911, thus, including the birth years of your Gpa Tomasz, and his possible brother Jan:
http://baza.archiwa.gov.pl/sezam/pradziad.php?l=en&miejscowosc=Ole%B6nica&gmina=&wojewodztwo_id=0&wyznanie_id=0&rodzajaktu_id=0&search=search
=
Please note only full records will give you all names, and places, as the POB - exact place of birth and family exact home address would be not the Olesnica (given by many immigrants in documents as parish, and/or nearest local town/court), but any place around.
Tomorrow I will check this Olesnica with the surname location, Polish censuses 1990/2002, and Polish old white pages, would be very interesting to check in any Ciesielski's and/or Czarnecki or Dziedzic survived after 100 years in this Olesnica, and nearby located villages and settlements.
Have a still sunny days in CA!
Tad, Warsaw

Thanks Tad,

I have looked at the LDS files (in https://familysearch.org ). It is a bit confusing in that it shows Tomasz Ciesielski and Jan Ciesielski in Michigan, where our family lived until I moved to CA. The LDS record shows Tomasz died in 1952 (the year I was born) which is correct, but it shows his parents as Daniel Ciesielski and Maryanna. I guess until I get Tomasz's actual birth record from Poland, I will not be able to correctly determine my great grandparents names. I appreciate your help in confirming information. I will keep trying to find more info from Church records or other sources.

Thanks again - I am glad you and your family had a great weekend!

PS: I have not yet been to Warsaw, but did travel with my wife to Krakow (from Berlin) some years ago. Although we do not speak the language, it was a memorable trip including visits to Wawel Castle, the town center/churches and a side trip to the Wieliczka salt mines. There are some Ciesielski's in the Krakow area but it is unclear how or if we are related.
TadWysocki

Post Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:06 am      Post subject:

Tom,

The surname location in the present-day Poland confirms your family Polish homeland as this Olesnica, here is the analysis:
1. In this Olesnica (1773 inhabitants in 2013) are living:
# Marianna Ciesielska, Olesnica, Poland
# Andrzej Czarnecki, Olesnica, Poland
# Barbara Czarnecka, Olesnica, Poland
# Danuta Czarnecka, Olesnica, Poland
# Jan Czarnecki, Olesnica, Poland
# Jozef Czarnecki, Olesnica, Poland
# Stanislaw Czarnecki, Olesnica, Poland
# Zbigniew Czarnecki, Olesnica, Poland

In the nearby located villages:
In NE - Sufczyce - no families Ciesielski and/or Czarnecki
in NE - Podborek - no families Ciesielski and/or Czarnecki
in East - Bydlowa - no families Ciesielski and/or Czarnecki
in East - Wojnow - no families Ciesielski and/or Czarnecki
in SE - Borzymow - no families Ciesielski and/or Czarnecki
in SW - Klepie - no families Ciesielski and/or Czarnecki
in West - Kepie:
# Wit Czarnecki, Kepie, Poland
# Jozef Czarniecki, Kepie, Poland
If surname emigrated in the 20th century to near local small town?:
In NE - the town of Staszow - no families Ciesielski and/or Czarnecki
In East - the town of Polaniec -no families Ciesielski and/or Czarnecki
If surname emigrated in the 20th century to near local main town:
Yes, we can find in the town of Kielce few families surnamed Ciesielski, and Czarnecki.

Happy to see the surname, after 100 years of immigration, is still living in this Olesnica, Poland.

PS. Well, Poland after WWII Jalta political pact giving Poland to Sovier Union, and 45 years of sovietisation, is now recovering his national pride, and economy. Going now through many Polish villages and towns we can see big changes, slowly Poland becomes the one of the open and kind lands, to live, and to visit touristically. Thanks for your nice words about Krakow and Wieliczka, here is very small reward, please click and see the holy figure standing in the small park before a church in your family Olesnica, maybe remebers the day, where your Gpa Jan, and his brother Tomasz said there goodbye, and ask sacrifice, before going 3000 miles over unknown ocean to their new homelands in America:

http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plik:JKRUK_20080618_FIGURA_W_PARKU_NA_RYNKU_OLE%C5%9ANICY_DSC05696.JPG
gdeborski

Replies: 72

Post Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:34 am      Post subject:

Tad,

First - Thank you for offering this wonderful assistance to the Forum! I have used many of the tools you list, but not in the organized way you have presented them.

I have been able to trace my paternal grandfather's line as follows:

My great grandfather, Francizek Tyburski (the name evolved to Deborski in the US), was born 18 Feb 1859 in Okalewo. My great grandmother, Katarzyna Klimowska, was born 22 Jun 1859 in Szczutowo - Swiedziebnia Parish. They were married 13 Feb 1881 in Swiedziebnia Parish.

The father and mother of Francizek were Szymon Tyburski (died before 1881) and Marianna Szemborska. Little else is known about them. I have been looking through LDS microfilms for nearby parishes trying to find the marriage of Szymon and Marrianna and perhaps the names, birth dates, etc. for any other children of this marriage. So far, no luck. I am less than confident that I am even looking in the closest parishes.

I am really interested in 2 questions:
1. Did Francizek Tyburski have siblings and did they stay in the local area or leave and go the the US?
2. Are there Tyburski and/or Szemborska relatives still living in the area today?

Using the various maps for surnames, I know that a good many individuals with the Tyburski/Tyburska surname today live near to these villages. I also believe the mother's surname may possibly be Szymborska, which seems much more common than the Szemborska spelling.

Gary Deborski
Send e-mail
TC

Replies: 8

Post Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:49 pm      Post subject: Ciesielski/Czarnecki info

Thanks Tad for the information.
I have ordered the file from LDS and it should be available in CA in the next several days. Hopefully it will provide some answers regarding my great grandparents, then I can work see where else to look from there.
I agree with the bravery it took for my grandparents to leave everything and come so far away to a strange land. My grandfather Tomasz Ciesielski and his friends/cousins/brothers who came to the US were poor bricklayers by trade (even though my name - Ciesielski translates as carpenter!). There are still many examples of their expert brick work in churches and exclusive homes within the Detroit, Michigan area. Growing up, we understood the difficulty our grandparents and great grandparents faced and the conditions that "forced" them to emigrate to the US. However, most stories were about the beauty of the country, the people and the traditions. Our family still observes the traditions, as we learned them, around Easter and Christmas holidays.
As an aside, one of my proudest stories comes from my mother's mother - Helena Wojcik-Zaczkiewicz. As an elderly widow living in Detroit, she kept in contact with churches in Krakow, Poland. One day she told our family that we needed to come over early Sunday to help her clean, cook and then serve dinner to some visitors. She explained the priests she had invited over were special and one in particular was very, very important and would become even more so one day. Turns out the very, very important man was bishop Karol Wotyla - future Pope John Paul II. Our family carefully served a dinner of goose and potatoes, wines and dessert, listening quietly through the door as he thanked my grandmother for her support - the one or two dollars she put in a card and sent each month to Poland.

Thanks again Tad. I really appreciate the effort and time you put into helping me trace my roots.

Tom
TadWysocki

Post Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:34 am      Post subject:

Gary,

It would be pleasure for me to make such an analysis re your Tyburski's, and Klimowski's from Okalewo and Szczutowo, please give me one day.

Greetings!

Tad
TadWysocki

Post Posted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:57 am      Post subject:

Gary,

I think I have good, maybe the very good news for you, here they are:

SURNAME LOCATION IN POLAND

Etymological check and confirmation: According to Polish etymological works the surname TYBURSKI is right spelled in Polish, noted in Polish historical and etymological works, as patronymic in origin, and derived from the old Polish name Tyburcy, the name appears in Polish records as early as in the 14th century, this derived from Latin language, and name Tiburtius, going from the name of the old Italian town Tibur, today named as Tivoli.

In the present day Poland, according to Polish census 1990 they were 2463 adults in Poland surnamed Tyburski, and from parts of Poland, according to more detailed database we can find in this Okalewo, and local area/town:

Jozef Tyburski & family Tyburski, Okalewo, Poland
The postal address is:
Jozef Tyburski
87-511 Okalewo
Poland

2. In the nearby located villages, from South to North:
villages Szustek, Borki, Budziska, Kotowy, Pisaki, Czerwonka: no family surnamed Tyburski

3. In the Skrwilno (as old parish for this Okalewo from the 19th century) we can find:

Stefania Tyburska, Skrwilno, Poland
Ryszard Tyburski, Skrwilno, Poland

4. In the nearby located the main local town Rypin, we can find:

21 x Poles surnamed Tyburski !

The second family origin is the Szczutowo (the origin of GGma Katarzyna Klimowska), located in the "walking distance" from the origin of GGPa Franciszek Tyburski's Okalewo (abt 10 miles). Yes, the parish for this Szczutowo in the 19th century was Swiedziebnia. All family places (villages, and main local town Rypin) are like a geographical triangle, from family origin Okalewo, and Szczutowo to Rypin is same abt 10 miles.

The surname location with Klimowski in general confirms the family origin:

5. No families Klimowski living now in this Szczutowo, and/or in the nearby located villages, but in this main local town Rypin we can find:

# Jadwiga Klimowska, Rypin, Poland
# Krystyna Klimowska, Rypin, Poland
# Stanislaw Klimowski, Rypin, Poland
# Stanislawa Klimowska, Rypin, Poland

6. The last family name is given as Szemborska/Szymborska, and we can find in this Rypin:

Szemborski's x 2 inhabitants
Szymborski's x 7 inhabitants
But I suppose the correct is Szemborski (the point 7 below!).

====

7. Very fortunately some years of your family ancestral parishes Skrwilno, and Swiedziebnia are indexes by my PTG - Polish Genealogical Society, and I do suppose the record of your GGGMa Marianna Szemborska is found out, this is confirmation, she was baptized in the parish Swiedziebnia in the 1885, recorded in the book under number 21:

http://www.geneteka.genealodzy.pl/index.php?rid=1834&from_date=&to_date=&search_lastname=Szemborski&search_lastname2=&rpp2=50&rpp1=0&bdm=A&w=02kp&op=gt&lang=

From GENETEKA you have more about Tyburski, and Klimowski from parish Skrwilno, and Swiedziebnia, for eg:

Parish Skrwilno - births 1820-1889 - 52 Tyburski's!:
http://www.geneteka.genealodzy.pl/index.php?rid=983&from_date=&to_date=&search_lastname=Tyburski&search_lastname2=&rpp2=50&rpp1=0&bdm=B&w=02kp&op=gt&lang=

Marriages - 1820 - 1881 - 14 records with Tyburski:
http://www.geneteka.genealodzy.pl/index.php?rid=560&from_date=&to_date=&search_lastname=Tyburski&search_lastname2=&rpp2=50&rpp1=0&bdm=B&w=02kp&op=gt&lang=

Deaths - 1820 - 1881 - 17 records with Tyburski:
http://www.geneteka.genealodzy.pl/index.php?rid=560&from_date=&to_date=&search_lastname=Tyburski&search_lastname2=&rpp2=50&rpp1=0&bdm=B&w=02kp&op=gt&lang=

With same search engine you could see all Tyburski's, Klimowski's, and others, with some years from the 19th century.

You asked about marriage record of your GGGparents Szymon and Marianna, this would be from abt 1858 and earlier (the Franciszek was born in 1859), GENETEKA marriage index from Swiedziebina (the groom parish!) is starting just from year 1859, so I've checked system PRADZIAD, and full records are possibly in the AP Torun (the same source of the full record of your GGGMa Marianna Szemborska), here is the weblink to this archive, where you can send your query:

http://www.torun.ap.gov.pl/

Finishing my today help, HAPPY WEEKEND TO YOU DEAR GARY, seems you will have a good time with your computer, following this very interesting family roots search.

Tad, Warsaw, with almost same age, blond hair, and moustache, Zenon could confirm Smile
TadWysocki

Post Posted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:14 am      Post subject:

Ops, this Marianna is too young, sorry fault, moja wina!

7. Very fortunately some years of your family ancestral parishes Skrwilno, and Swiedziebnia are indexes by my PTG - Polish Genealogical Society, and I do suppose the record of your GGGMa Marianna Szemborska is found out, this is confirmation, she was baptized in the parish Swiedziebnia in the 1855, recorded in the book under number 21:

http://www.geneteka.genealodzy.pl/index.php?rid=1834&from_date=&to_date=&search_lastname=Szemborski&search_lastname2=&rpp2=50&rpp1=0&bdm=A&w=02kp&op=gt&lang=
gdeborski

Replies: 72

Post Posted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:34 pm      Post subject:

Tad,

Thank you. It appears that I may, in fact, have distant relatives still living in these areas of Poland. Perhaps with more research, I will be able to form connections to the records shown on the various Geneteka searches.

Gary D.
Send e-mail
Shellie
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 998

Post Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:52 pm      Post subject:

Hi Tad,
I would love to have some of your advice, even though I have done much research for my family. I have posted my request here: http://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?p=11886#11886

Thank you!
Shellie
TadWysocki

Post Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:33 am      Post subject:

Shellie,

You deserve the best our help and assistance from Poland, I see your many years efforts to uncover and preserve your family roots from this part of United Europe, all our ancestors deserve the best our memory and homage, I will do my best to help you in discovering your ancestors Lewkowicz - Rebizant, and Mazylak from Poland.

With the first view I see their religion was historically very rich Greek Catholics from East Poland, their homes Huta Rozaniecka and Rebizanty from the end of the 18th century, after beginning of the 3 political partitions, were located just on the border of the Austria-Hungary Empire, and Russia Empire, our duty would be to imagine their every-day life from that time, and from the beg of the 20th century when the part of the family decided to collect the huge money, and to buy the railway tickets to any European port, together with ship travel place, going 3000 miles over unknown ocean to the new land America, I see from your notes three brave and young sisters immigrated to the U.S., Mary in 1911, Anna in 1912, and Alice in ...., wonderful story.

Now, to tell something about the family life in Poland it would be wonderful to see the full GC records uncovered by you, I'm not sure what scope of information would be possible to see from them, if the full records were given in the "Austrian style", thus the names and dates are included, but if the records were given in the "Russian style", so, we can see the record like a story, giving on a half-page many sentences about the family names, dates, origins, occupations, witnesses, godparents, etc., sometimes they are additional notes given by civil/parish registrar about the additional names, marriages, deaths, adoptions, etc.

Without these records, it would be very difficult to tell the family story, so, I will try to cross some databases to tell you ANY SUPPOSITIONS:
1. I will check all family names with the Polish etymological works, including Prof. K. Rymut "Nazwiska Polakow Slownik Historyczno-Etymologiczny" - The Family Names in Poland ...., Prof. Zofia Kaleta "The Surname as a Cultural Value and an Ethnic Heritage", Instytut PAN, 1997.
2. The next step would be to compare some information going from a/m point with some Polish genealogical databases like Geneteka (indexes from the 18th and 19th century), Metryki, KZM (Katalog Zasobow Metrykalnych), Pradziad, Zosia, Szukaj..., etc.
3. Step three would be to check all family places with Polish historical sources from the 19th century, as Slownik Geograficzny - The Geographical Directory, 1890-1902, other works, finally with Prof. Rymut "Nazwy Miescowe Polski Historia Pochodzenie Zmiany - The Names of the Local Places in Poland The History Origin Changes" , trying to have the place and life description.
4. The next step would be to check the surname location in the present-day Poland, telling if any of these surnames/Polish versions survived in the area.
5. Finally, I will try to tell something about their life, customs, holy places, and tell what would be their homes in the 18th century, and maybe earlier.

Wish me luck, I see your family names are very rare, and untipical in Poland, I'm also very curious what would be possible to tell, basing only on a/m 5 points. Please forgive me if my search results will be tiny.

Happy weekend in the U.S.!

From your family old country Poland, now with cold and rainy days, slowly Winter is coming, but we like every season in Poland Smile

Tadeusz "Tad" Wysocki
Warsaw, Poland
TadWysocki

Post Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:33 am      Post subject:

POLISH FAMILY NAMES REBIZANT, MAZYLAK, AND LEWKOWICZ

Uncovering the family name origin and an ethnic heritage, we need the geographical exact location, and the imagination of the ancestors' life from the exact time. In this case we can find and imagine the place in SE Poland named Huta Rozaniecka, and all villages and settlements located around. In the end of the 18th century we can find there many places named as [thus, we can tell some informations on the local economy, customs, traditions, deceases, etc. from the 18th century and earlier]: Huta ....... [meaning in Polish a small foundry], Hamernia [meaning a blacksmith workshop, derived from Germany language and word hammern], Mazily [from Polish Maz~, meaning a place where the wood tar was produced], Majdan ..... [meaning a logging in wood, derived from Ukrainian language, this from Turkish language and word Mejdan - a square, a marketplace, etc.], Paary [from Polish para, meaning a hot air going from foundry production], etc.

In the years 1772-1795, after 3 political partitions in Europe, this quiet land was suddenly divided by the border of Russian Empire, and Austrian Empire. We can only imagine one day in the end of the 18th century The New Settler decided to construct his new home/establish a hamlet nearby the Huta Rozaniecka just on the small river Tanew. His new home was located just at the place named by local inhabitants as "Zamczysko" [a castle] and "Kosciolek" [a little church], where the very old soil stronghold from the 12th-13rd century was located, but only small bullwarks covering by trees remained, and also where the old wooden little church and monastery was constructed in the old centuries, this was a Unitate church and Basilian monastery under the name of Sw. Jan Nepomucen, as the filia of the GC parish in Tomaszow. The church with cemetery, and monastery was abandoned by the Basilian Monks in the 18th century, finally, accodring to local authorities decision from 1796 was totally disassembled.

FAMILY NAME REBIZANT

If in abt 1799 this New Settler Teodor Lewkowicz from a new hamlet was going to the parish to registrate and baptized his new born first child, the parish registrar would ask him what would be the name of the child, and his place of birth. Our New Settler gave the name of the child as Maria, and the name of his new settlement as for example "Rebizanty" or "Bazylianty" [the Polish suffix -anty for place name] - maybe "Bazylianty" as the people respected very much the memory about religion and Basilian monks. The registrar, maybe the parish parson, knowing very well Polish and Latin language would tell "Oh no, Bazylianty is too holy for your hamlet as a civil person, let's oficially confirm and record this place as "Rebizanty", as I very well know, as a priest, what the people are doing there to survive hard times, and to financially support my church".

Why the registrar would tell and write in family records the place name as "Rebizanty"? Why people had there a nickname "Rebizant". Here is the explanation with Polish, and Latin language with the Polish word "rebelizant", shortened to "rebizant": The Polish word "Rebelizant" is going directly from old Polish language [Jezyk Staropolski], this from Latin language and word "rebellis". Slownik Polskiego Jezyka [The Dictionary of the Polish Language] gives "rebelizant" as the rebeliant, buntownik - the person acts against law, insurgent, with this first meaning it was noted for eg in the 17th century by famous diarist of Polish Baroque Jan Chryzostom Pasek, who wrote: "bo Tekieli, rebelizant, ktory przy Turkach...", in the memoirs of the prince Albrycht Stanislaw Radziwill "Rebelizant z ojcem cesarski, który shizac w wojsku Gustaba, w zamku Brodnicy zyd i wojowac przestal", in the 18th century Polish preacher Samuel Wysocki wrote in his harangues "przed dubrym Panem, rebelizant przed Krolem, wyrodek brzydki...". In the following centuries in Poland the word "Rebelizant" would be shortened to "Rebizant", meaning still a person acts againt law, but as a trader, smuggler, especially in the places located on the borders, and to "Rebizanty" as the place where the traders/smugglers were inhabited.

Slownik Geograficzny..... (The Geographical Directory od the Kingdom of Poland), 1880-1902, confirmes the place name Rebizanty aka Ribizanty, as the few homes nearly located Huta Rozaniecka, in the powiat (county) Cieszanowski.

The last conclusion in this subject: If one day the New Settler from "Rebizanty" would ask to change his family name just to prevent the new born childs before any family future persecution (I met same situation in Polish genealogy with changing the family names, the reasons were very different), the parish registrar would accept the new family name as Rebizant, thus, creating it in the easiest toponymic way.

I see from your family tree, your Teodor Lewkowicz - Rebizant and his wife Maria nee family Mazylak had 9 children: Maria born 1799, Jan born 1801, Jakub born 1804, Semion born 1806, Anastazja born 1807, Mikolaj born 1813, Paraskewia born 1816, Pelagia born 1820, and Michal born 1824. Most of them in all the 19th century developed the hamlet named Rebizanty, some of the families Rebizant decided to sell part land to buy tickets for their childs to emigrate to America, I see amongst others three sisters Maria - Mary, Anna, and Alice - Alicja immigrated in the years 1911-..... We can only imagine how hard were their first years of their life in the new country.

Rest Rebizant's stayed in Poland, having hard life times in all the 20th century, meeting two cruel World Wars, and 45 years of communism time here after WWII Jalta political pact. I see with Polish internet, some of them have survived, and their descendents are trying to preserve the family history in Poland, like same you are doing in the U.S. Thank you!

The surname location in the present-day Poland: According to Polish census 1990 (I prefer this one, and not 2002, as 1990 is giving also the names disapeared), they were living in Poland 207 adults surnames Rebizant:
Rebizant 207 Wa:7, BB:4, Ch:5, Gd:2, JG:8, Ka:17, Lg:5, Lu:14, Ol:7, Op:6, Pl:3, Pł:2, Pr:35, Sd:1, Wr:4, Za:87

And as I told you in my message, very fortunately surname Rebizant has survived in this Rebizanty, living and farming there after 100 years of immigration of your family to the U.S.

FAMILY NAME MAZYLAK

This Polish family name Mazylak is cognominal in origin, belonging to that group of surnames derived from the very old Polish language, name, and word "maz" - fully spelled with Polish spelling as maz~, maź - having Polish z with Polish grammar diacritial mark over the letter, meaning "a wood tar, a grease". The surname Maz appears in Polish records as early as 1382, it is also found in the variant forms Mazelak, Mazela [1602], Mazyl, Mazyk, Mazik, Mazierak, etc.
As the basic root of the name is Polish "Maz", a term for a wood tar, I do suppose you might find the surname Mazylak applied at times to the first ancestor in old Poland who was the producer and/or trader of the wood tar products, the basic product in every farm and home, the producers of the wood tar grease exported it throughout Poland, and to the neighboured countries.

The surname location in the present-day Poland: According to Polish census 1990 the surname Mazylak disapeared from present-day Poland surname lists, here are the the records from other versions, as you see the Maz, Mazy, Mazyl are also with negative results.
Mazy 0 0
Maz 0 0
Mazyk 1 Kn:1
Mazyl 0 0

I suppose the surname Mazylak, as suffix -al was tipical for Ukrainian roots, maybe could be found now in the present-day Ukraine.

Finally, I see possibility your GGGGMa was originated as Mazylak from the nearly located village Mazily, thus, the GC and RC parish was the Tomaszow (Tomaszow Lubelski) where the GC & RC records from the 18th and earlier could be researched by you in future.

FAMILY NAME LEWKOWICZ

This Polish family name Lewkowicz is patronymic in origin, belonging to that group of surnames derived from the very old Polish language, name, and word "Lewy", derived from Polish name Leon, and/or from the Jewish name Levi. The surname Lewkowicz appears in Polish records as early as 1441, it is also found in the variant forms Lewko [1363], Lewkowiec, , etc.
The suffix -icz, tipical for East Poland, would have a meaning - the son of Lewko.

The surname location in the present-day Poland: According to Polish census 1990, they were living in Poland 2943 adults surnamed Lewkowicz:
Lewkowicz 2943 Wa:158, BP:183, Bs:436, BB:13, By:14, Ch:101, Ci:23, Cz:14, El:151, Gd:129, Go:26, JG:81, Kl:7, Ka:97, Ki:20, Kn:6, Ko:78, Kr:31, Ks:1, Lg:43, Ls:7, Lu:97, Ło:17, Łd:34, NS:2, Ol:189, Op:38, Os:3, Pl:64, Pt:8, Pł:29, Po:48, Pr:61, Ra:7, Rz:22, Sd:6, Sr:4, Sł:12, Su:149, Sz:63, Tb:51, Ta:1, To:20, Wb:83, Wł:28, Wr:67, Za:124, ZG:97

Finally, I see with Polish Geneteka giving names from the 19th century, the possible origin of your your GGGGPa Teodor Lewkowicz as nearly located the town of Chelm/area (Chelm Lubelski) where the GC & RC & Jewish (I see also few Lewkowicz as Jewish in Chelm, as surname Lewkowicz was popular in Jewish communities) records from the 18th and earlier could be researched by you in future, here are the records only from the Geneteka, and parish Chelm:
Births: http://www.geneteka.genealodzy.pl/index.php?rid=1138&from_date=&to_date=&search_lastname=Lewkowicz&search_lastname2=&rpp2=50&rpp1=0&bdm=A&w=03lb&op=gt&lang=
Marriages: http://www.geneteka.genealodzy.pl/index.php?rid=993&from_date=&to_date=&search_lastname=Lewkowicz&search_lastname2=&rpp2=50&rpp1=0&bdm=B&w=03lb&op=gt&lang=
Deaths: http://www.geneteka.genealodzy.pl/index.php?rid=2353&from_date=&to_date=&search_lastname=Lewkowicz&search_lastname2=&rpp2=50&rpp1=0&bdm=S&w=03lb&op=gt&lang=

They were Lewkowicz also in other towns/parishes, sorry, that with your Rebizanty the archival records are accessible only from 1785.

Hope this helps a bit in your search, with the best good luck!

Tadeusz "Tad" Wysocki
Warsaw, Poland

PS. Sorry any faults, and giving you wrong search paths, most of my conclusions are as the game with words and imagination only.
Elzbieta Porteneuve
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 3098

Post Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:01 am      Post subject:

REBIZANTY

When googling the name, I found an indication that the name is of French origin, from a Napoleonic soldier, wounded in battle for Moscow, who stayed in Poland in Roztocze area, then cured and settled there.

http://forum.gazeta.pl/forum/w,13550,11345943,,Skad_sie_wziely_Rebizanty.html?v=2
"A nazwa pochodzi podobno od nazwiska Francuza, który ranny po wyprawie Napoleona pod Moskwą został na Roztoczu i wyraźnie ozdrowiał, dając nazwę przysiółka i nazwisko potomkom, z którymi miałem przyjemność chodzić do szkoły."

The French word "rebisant" has a meaning quite adapted to a person making a health recovery

http://fr.wiktionary.org/wiki/rebisant
from "rebiser" - re-biser, "biser" http://fr.wiktionary.org/wiki/biser
1. In agriculture, the phenomenon of seeds getting dark grey (spoiled).
2. Or action of recolour someting (a fabric).
3. Or action of kissing again (faire la bise = make a kiss)

FWIW, no warranty, but not totaly absurd.

Best,
Elzbieta
Shellie
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 998

Post Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:29 pm      Post subject:

Thank you both so much for your thoughtful comments. I appreciate you both taking your valuable time to look up information about my family surnames! I have learned much from you!

The theory about the Napoleonic soldier is enticing, and I heard this story several years ago. But my recent discoveries suggest the name Rebizant was in use before the 1812 march into Moscow. The first Rebizant birth I've found in church records is from the year 1785. I believe this was the same year that Napolean (born 1769) actually began his military career. But the name has a nice French sound to it, doesn't it? I love the reference to "kissing again" <3
TadWysocki

Post Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:32 am      Post subject:

Ma Cherie Elzbieta, thank you for this theory about Napoleonic soldier Rebizant, you know, "Savoir c'est pouvoir", we don't know for today the true, but maybe you are right!. Life could give us more scenario that we can even imagine. Who knowns if any French soldier named Rebizant took place in Napoleonic campaign, and one day on way he very surprisingly met on the Austrian and Russian border the place named Rebizanty, and the people named Rebizant. But also maybe he was the first ancestor giving family name Rebizant to Polish family? I can promise you I will try to check the list of the Napoleon Army fighting in Poland, maybe I could try any traces.

My dear Shellie, as I told before, we must be careful in listening all family and local legends, in every store the piece of true could be stored, checking some sources I've met also the next legend/lore:

The place name Rebizanty derived from the name of the old local soldier named Rabizad (Rąbizad) who took part in the battles againts Swedish Invasion on Poland named "Potop" [The years 1655 - 1660}, and killed many Swedish invaiders.

Finally, I want to share my last "crazy" supposition: I don't want to exclude from the theories, that the name Rebizanty is just going from "Ribizanty" - as given in the Slownik Geograficzny... [The Geographical Directory of the Kingdom of Poland, 1880-1902]. If Ribizanty, maybe the local inhabitants of the 18th century, Basilian monks?, named the fine place on the Tanew river, where it was the best place for fishing [a fish - Polish ryba, riba], and the Ribizanty aka Rebizanty was storaged in the local memory and names, and this exact place was the family where the family Lewkowicz-Rebizant built their family home in the last years of the 18th century.

My teacher told me something like that: "If you think you know everything you are fool, just standing as fool on the hill, and seeing nothing", it was so many years ago, that I don't want to forget it, and say now I'm sure one of these theories are right, as maybe ALL OF THEM COULD HAVE A SENSE.

Happy next day of our wonderful life with a Smile

Yours, Tad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research Resources, Tools & Tips All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next Page 2 of 4

Jump to: