PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 10

Post Posted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:27 pm      Post subject:

WOW:) http://genforum.genealogy.com/swiderski/messages/5.html those names I remember hearing alot.
Visit poster's website
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:40 pm      Post subject:

Phillip.

If Alexander Swiderski is your ancestor, a good place to look for information would be in the Catholic Church marriage, birth and burial registers from the parishes they attended. Usually those records contain a good amount in information and sometimes especially in marriage records locations in Poland are entered for the brides and grooms who were foreign born. The Polish Genealogical Society of America (PGSA.org) in Chicago has a database which indexed the names of parishioners who appear in parish jubilee books. There are two entries for Alex Swiderski in jubilee books from Detroit. They may possibly be for the same Alexander or possibly for the elder, who could be your great grandfather, and for the younger Alexander who would be your grandfather, or they may both be for the same person at two different times. In the 1923 jubilee book of St. Stanislaus Bishop & Martyr parish in Detroit there is an entry for Alexander Swiderski and then in the 1948 jubilee book of St. Louis the King in Detroit there is another entry for an Alex Swiderski. Often the names in a jubilee book are simply lists of parishioners or lists of members of the parish who made donations toward the jubilee celebration, but they can direct your search for Church records. My suggestion would be to contact the parishes and request info. If the Alex in 1948 is your grandfather and your father was born in 1946, your father's baptismal information may possibly be found in the records of St. Louis the King parish. Anyway, those parishes may be a good place to search.

Best of success in your quest.

Dave
Cheri Vanden Berg
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 497

Post Posted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:06 pm      Post subject:

At Family Search their are 2 WWI draft registrations for Alex Swiderski. One he signed, and one must have been signed for him: http://tinyurl.com/l5ldsh3 The one he signed looks like Alaks Swyderski, or maybe even Swydereski (there wasn't always consistent spelling back then). Also, he has a different birth date than his WWII registration. That can be common too, as they didn't celebrate birthdays as we do.

Once again, it doesn't get any more specific than Russia-Poland for his birth place. I did notice in the 1940 census that he was a citizen, in 1920 he had just applied for papers. I don't have a subscription to Ancestry.com right now, but I was able to see his name is in the index in Michigan: Alaksander Swyderski, Alexander Swiderski, Alexander Sedurski. I imagine that is all his papers, with different spelling throughout. Someone should be able to get you a date, and maybe a number from Ancestry (if you don't have a subscription), and you could send for his papers. That should have his specific birth place, and maybe his wife's birth place as well. My grandfather's did.
Shellie

Replies: 998

Post Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:13 am      Post subject:

Here is some of the information that Cheri mentioned above and also the 1910 and 1920 census info:

Swyderski Sedurski in nat index.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  199.67 KB
 Viewed:  9217 Time(s)

Swyderski Sedurski in nat index.png

1910 census.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  48.23 KB

1910 census.png

swyderski census 1920.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  145.33 KB

swyderski census 1920.png

Last edited by Shellie on Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:54 am; edited 2 times in total
PolishLibrarian
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 311

Post Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:45 am      Post subject:

1930 census says Alex was 21 when married, he’s 45 and he arrived in 1904, while Theodora was 44, 20 when married and arrived in 1903 [this would imply they were married in 1906]. 1920 census says Alex is 35, arrived in 1903 and had filed papers for naturalization. In all 3 census years they were living at 1413 Joseph Campau St. in Detroit.

On Ancestry there was the manifest from Hamburg with him departing March 27, 1905 and his hometown is indexed as Disobali, Russian Polish (I couldn’t find his name on the manifest – writing is very hard to decipher). Coming into NY on Apr. 12, 1905 on the ship Dania, he was going to his brother Franz S. in Philadelphia, his last location looks like Disobabr, Russian Polish. There’s a date added later by his name - Apr. 9, 1941 - probably when he was naturalized. ~PL
Cheri Vanden Berg

Replies: 497

Post Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:09 am      Post subject:

Philip, This is really great that you have places to look now. I hope you hear from your cousins. I think it was Alice that thought that Alexander and Theodora married in Poland. I am curious about that, because it looks like they might have married in the U.S., and Dave's advice about the churches is great. It's wonderful to have places to look narrowed down. It would be nice if they married in the U.S. because you might be able to find out who their parents were, and where they were baptized (probably easier than finding that information in Poland). Also, Alexander Jr. and Natalie's marriage record would be great to get so that you could learn her maiden name if it's not on her death certificate.

You can see the Alexander that Polish Librarian found at Ellis Island, line 25: http://tinyurl.com/n6jh76u He was indexed as Alexander Swidorsky. Not sure this is your Alexander, because IF that 1941 written on the manifest is the date of naturalization, I think your Alexander was naturalized earlier than that. Hopefully his naturalization papers will clear that up. If you don't know how to send for them, there is advice on this forum at Polish Origins: http://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?t=657 I wrote about how I had gotten my grandfather's in just 2 days for $10.

Maybe Alice already has those records.

Last edited by Cheri Vanden Berg on Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:59 am; edited 1 time in total
likeinwonderland

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:16 am      Post subject:

Philip in am the daughter of your father's first cousin Carolyn Swiderski. Our grandfathers were brothers. Your grandparents were two of the most awesome people I have ever known!! I am so very happy to meet you and I have info to share also. I live in metro Detroit and would be happy to have you over to visit and see photos and even some home video we have.
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:18 am      Post subject:

Phillip,
Alexander & Theodora were married in Detroit on May 9, 1907 by Rev. F. A. Mueller. According to a history of Polish parishes from the Orchard Lake Mission, Fr. Frank/Franciszek Mueller was the pastor/rector of St. Albertus Catholic Church from 1894 until 1913 so that would be the parish where they were married. According to that history, it was the first Polish parish in Detroit and since the history is in Polish the parish is referred to as sw. Wojciecha. The Latin for Wojciech is Adalbertus and it seems that the chancery officials in Detroit in the 1870s were not aware that Albert and Adalbert are two distinct names which are not interchangeable. The intended name of the parish should have been Adalbertus rather than Albertus but once the mistake was made the name stuck. Anyway, the record of the marriage posted here is a civil registration and does not indicate where Alexander & Theodora were from in Poland. However, the genealogy gods are favoring you because microfilms of the parish records are available in the Detroit Public Library's Burton Historical Collection so a trip to the library should allow you to make a copy of the actual entry in the parish register and, if your luck holds, the place of origin in Poland should be part of that record. You should also be able to find the birth/baptism record of your grandfather either in the films for that parish or in the films for St. Stanislaus Bishop & Martyr, which are also part of the Burton Collection. The film you would want to view for the 1907 marriage record would be BHC #1024, Reel 7. There are no LDS films for Catholic Churches in Detroit so it is a stroke of luck that films of the records were made by some other group.

Two different entries for the civil marriage record are on the Family Search site and the both contain the same information. The record does list both Alexander's and Theodora's parents with the maiden names of the mothers which should prove useful for research in Poland. Alexander's father was Martin/Marcin Swiderski and his mother was L. Pawlowska. If I were to guess, possible first names which come to mind could be Ludwika or perhaps Leokadia which were common in Poland in the 1800s. Theodora's father was Constance/Konstanty Burzynski and her mother was M. Bylinska. There are more possible first names for her but two of the most frequent would be Maryanna and Malgorzata followed by Magdalena and Marta. Also one of the witnesses listed is Praseda/Prakseda Burzynska who probably is related to Theodora and possibly her sister. Whoever she is, she was living in Detroit in 1907.

The other attachment is a copy of the 1910 Census record.

Hope your research gets a good jump start.

Dave

szwydersk-swiderski.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.27 MB

szwydersk-swiderski.JPG

record-image(92).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  435.29 KB

record-image(92).jpg

record-image(91).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  230.61 KB

record-image(91).jpg

pasjrwoctx

Post Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:39 pm      Post subject:

WOW thank you so much everyone. I cant wait to really begin this project in depth. I have several reasons as to why I want to. Thank you for your help and all the help I will get to do this.
Visit poster's website
likeinwonderland

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:42 pm      Post subject:

All of these records are in fact our family!! Thank you all so much for the help with this research for Philip. Alexander and Theodora are buried in Mt Olivet Cemetery in Detroit.
pasjrwoctx

Post Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:26 pm      Post subject:

Just a quick update or more of a notice -- Who Am I? Where Do I Come From? The Swiderski Story http://woctxphotog.com/?p=816
Visit poster's website
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:39 pm      Post subject:

Phillip and cousin likeinwonderland,

A sort post to make sure that you don't miss something about the 1910 Census.... The enumerator was Polish and she entered names with the correct Polish spelling based upon what she heard complete with Polish diacritical marks. A couple of quick examples would be the spelling of names like Cecylia and Kazimierz---both entered as they would be in Polish. Another note---I saw the 1940 Federal Census for your family but didn't post it because it exceeded the size limit for posts. In the Census the informant (Theodora) told the enumerator that neither she nor her husband had any formal education---a situation not uncommon in peasant farmers from Russian Poland. What this means is that they would probably not have been able to write and thus to spell the names of their children and their own names which goes a long way towards explaining variant spellings in records.
Anyway, I just wanted to point out that the spelling of names on the census is the way the names would be written in Polish.

Dave
PolishLibrarian
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 311

Post Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:13 pm      Post subject:

dnowicki wrote:
Phillip and cousin likeinwonderland,

In the Census the informant (Theodora) told the enumerator that neither she nor her husband had any formal education---a situation not uncommon in peasant farmers from Russian Poland. What this means is that they would probably not have been able to write and thus to spell the names of their children and their own names which goes a long way towards explaining variant spellings in records.
Anyway, I just wanted to point out that the spelling of names on the census is the way the names would be written in Polish.

Dave

Interesting that in 1910 the Polish enumerator said that Aleksander spoke English and Theodora did not, so he was assimilating quite well - probably because he was out in the workforce and Theodora was home with the children in a neighborhood populated by other Polish immigrants.
pasjrwoctx

Post Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:04 am      Post subject: Does this help

Can the following be used to narrow down my Origins? Please see pdf, if pic too small
[/img]

FAMTree2018.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  53.37 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

FAMTree2018.jpg

SWIDERSKILIST-1.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  SWIDERSKILIST-1.pdf
 Filesize:  61.33 KB
 Downloaded:  316 Time(s)

Visit poster's website
JDombrowski89

Replies: 40

Post Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:13 am      Post subject:

pasjrwoctx,

Any dates of births/deaths/marriages along with an idea where you think your ancestors came from within Poland would be helpful. Are you able to provide those to us?

Regards,
Justin
Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Origins of surnames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next Page 2 of 3

Jump to: