PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
bobbin laces
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Author
PolishOrigins Team

Replies: 69

Post Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:23 pm      Post subject: bobbin laces

Have you ever heard about bobbin laces? First they appeared in Italy and Belgium, next they spread into France, Germany, Spain, England, Slavic countries and all over Europe. In Poland bobbin laces have also very long tradition. This technique came to Poland in 16th century from Italy thanks to Bona Sforza (the second wife of Sigismund I the Old the king of Poland) who brought to us new vegetables, artists and also ... laces teachers. Little by little each region created his own style.
Today the most known place in Poland where these laces are still alive is Bobowa in Galicia.
I had some lessons there so I would like share with you this composition as an example of Polish lace.

IMG_3224.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.16 MB
 Viewed:  16525 Time(s)

IMG_3224.JPG

kelesney

Replies: 65

Post Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:24 pm      Post subject: Re: bobbin laces

loved your post magdalena!
i am half danish and one summer when i went back after high school in the states...my mother introduced me to her childhood friend who had become quite known for her work...large scale bobbin lace tapestries,too.
though the technique to the untrained eye seems impossible...i recall how relaxing the simple turns and twists could be in revealing the finally piece of work.
i still have my bolster and bobbins...and all the pieces i have made over the years.
those lessons many years ago taught me great patience and especially, appreciation of other old world crafts.
thank you for sharing this one with the group.
it's a lovely example!
karen

Magdalena wrote:
Have you ever heard about bobbin laces? First they appeared in Italy and Belgium, next they spread into France, Germany, Spain, England, Slavic countries and all over Europe. In Poland bobbin laces have also very long tradition. This technique came to Poland in 16th century from Italy thanks to Bona Sforza (the second wife of Sigismund I the Old the king of Poland) who brought to us new vegetables, artists and also ... laces teachers. Little by little each region created his own style.
Today the most known place in Poland where these laces are still alive is Bobowa in Galicia.
I had some lessons there so I would like share with you this composition as an example of Polish lace.
All Polska

Replies: 48

Post Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:29 am      Post subject:

I used to live near Somerset, PA, USA. Every fall, the Historical Society has a huge craft fair. Artists made Colonial items to show you how. They had about 6 ladies doing the bobbin lace. It was very beautiful...just like yours. thanks for sharing Smile

All Polska
Magdalena
PolishOrigins Team

Post Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:08 pm      Post subject:

I am really happy that you appreciate bobbin laces Smile

Karen,
I agree, doing this it is a great pleasure. I am excited every time when I do a new lace. It is calming and relaxing and great to keep brain longer young because of precise fingers moves.

Karen and All Polska
It would be wonderful if you had any photo of the pieces you wrote about. Have you them? Is it possible to show them to all of us?

By the way I attach a short video how bobbin laces are created.

[html-link]
All Polska

Replies: 48

Post Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:54 pm      Post subject:

Thanks! That's what they did at the festival. I posted the U Tube video on my fb wall Smile
kelesney

Post Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:49 pm      Post subject: bobbin lace...keeping the tradition alive

love the video!

i say if a curious eighteen year old (when i first learned) can do it...and i have seen those into their eighties do it - anyone can learn if their curiosity is there.

little idea...i was thinking it would be nice to have a thread going here with post photos and patterns to share...
what do you think, magdalena?

i need to take my bolster out of storage (thanks for the inspiration) and then find my pieces to post along with any patterns i might have...and resume making lace again.

karen
kelesney

Post Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:47 pm      Post subject: bobbin lace...keeping the tradition alive

here is a copy of how my red bobbin lace bolster (half bolster) looks like...but, this example is in green.
the bobbins are the same type as i use.
note: center cylinder part of bolster holds the pattern and rotates on a ratchet...and bobbins (with thread) are suspended off this area and then pinned / aligned in place per pattern. the ones not in use are held in place by a crocheted runner (shown in pink yarn)

blog 009.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  295.34 KB
 Viewed:  16525 Time(s)

blog 009.JPG

Magdalena
PolishOrigins Team

Post Posted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:28 pm      Post subject:

Karen,

It sounds really great that you intend to refresh your skills. I will wait impatiently for the effects of your work.

I think that this forum is a good place to share photos.

There is a little complication with patterns. If I share my own pattern which I created myself or if it is well known traditional pattern or the author of it agrees to show it publicly - then it is ok.
On the other hand I know that many creators sell their patterns and for them it is one of the way of earning money. So sharing patterns will be great but with respect for intellectual property.
I hope you understand what I mean.
Magdalena
PolishOrigins Team

Post Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:46 am      Post subject:

I wanted to learn how to make bobbin laces ever since I watched a TV program about it. There were hundreds of bobbins and thousands of pins and it was .... amazing. I just had to try to learn a little bit, and although it is not very easy, it is possible to learn it and have a great pleasure whilst working.

Not so many people know what the bobbin lace is, so I prepared a short video to present you one little doily which I like very much.

[html-link]
Zenon
PolishOrigins Team Leader

Replies: 1515

Post Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:57 am      Post subject:

I just wanted to add that my wife agreed to make a short presentation of Bobbin Lace making on the PO Galicia Tour: galicia.polishorigins.com this September and October in the evening of Your Ancestors' Day Smile. Everyone who wants will have opportunity to try and make something simple for herself Exclamation
Send e-mail
Magdalena
PolishOrigins Team

Post Posted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:36 pm      Post subject:

Hello,

Although Christmas passed I still feel the atmosphere Smile I have found some nice combination of laces and Christmas. I hope you will also like them:

http://koronkologia.wordpress.com/2013/12/31/przeglad-koronkowych-szopek-bozonarodzeniowych-i-lace-nativity-scenes-roundup/
Magdalena
PolishOrigins Team

Post Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:37 am      Post subject:

Hello,

If you are lover of handicraft or just like to read uncommon stories we have prepared for you a short article concerning bobbin laces on our blog.

There are some new photos and some stories that you may find interesting.

You can read it here:

http://blog.polishorigins.com/2014/12/17/bobbin-lace-making-workshop
Magdalena
PolishOrigins Team

Post Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:14 am      Post subject:

Hello,

For lovers of handicraft I prepared a small Christmas gift Smile

At the end of October I had a chance to be on Bobbin Lace Festivat in Bobowa (Poland).

I made enormous number of photos. I like returning to them and watching for hours.

I thought you might like them too so I shared some of them on our blog, here:
http://blog.polishorigins.com/2015/12/21/bobbin-lace-festival-in-bobowa/
MDuplaga
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 103

Post Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:26 pm      Post subject:

Magdalena,
Thank you for sharing the incredible photos from the festival. You showed us the beautiful Lace patterns and styles that we most likely would not know existed!
MaryAnne
Magdalena
PolishOrigins Team

Post Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:47 am      Post subject:

I am happy you liked it SmileExclamation This is my great hobby.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Handicraft All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next Page 1 of 2

Jump to: