PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 177

Post Posted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:03 pm      Post subject: Godparent issue

I found a record for the baptism of a Stanislaus Peszek on 1 March 1908 at Sacred Heart Church, Braddock, Pennsylvania. His parents were Joseph Peszak and Sophia (Sowa) Peszek. Sophia was my grandfather's sister.

The Godmother is listed as Agatha Sowa...another sister of my grandfather. What came as a surprise, is that all my research indicated that Agatha never immigrated to the US. In fact, later records prove she was living in Poland (near Manasterzec). Also, I have been unable to find any immigration records for her. Although there are several Agatha Sowas in Ellis Island records, none of them appear to be my relation.

My question and the reason for this post, was it possible for a Godparent to living in another country? It seems unlikely, but I have found stranger things. If not, that means that Agatha had to have immigrated, became a Godparent, and then later returned to Poland.
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2783

Post Posted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:44 pm      Post subject:

It was and still is possible for a person to be a baptismal sponsor/Godparent by proxy. Another person stands in the place of the sponsor or acts as proxy but the person who is not actually present at the baptism but has been designated as sponsor/Godparent is the sponsor/Godparent of record. My maternal uncle who lived in Florida was my younger sister's baptismal sponsor/Godparent without actually being present at her baptism in Chicago. Another uncle acted as proxy. According to Canon Law (1917 Codex Iuris Canonici, Canon 1089) it was and possibly still is possible to enter into marriage by proxy---certainly a very rare event but one which took place during the Middle Ages on occasion in marriages of the nobility.

Dave
rsowa
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 177

Post Posted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:39 am      Post subject:

OK...that makes sense...Thank you Dave! Although, to be honest, it can really throw a curve ball into genealogy research if folks aren't aware of that possibility.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in the USA and in other countries outside Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: