PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PolishOrigins Patron

Replies: 22

Post Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:12 am      Post subject: Translation help?/ Cyrillic script

Hello all,
While researching microfilm at my local LDS Family History Center, I was extremely lucky to locate what I believe to be the marraige document of my great-grandparents (from 1873 !!). They were from a village in the Radziwie/Plock area of Poland.

The official document was written in Cyrillic script, but I was fortunate that the priest/scribe from that time also wrote a few names in Polish language script--and I recognized them as I slogged through the microfilm.

I copied the document, have it in jpeg & .pdf and wonder if anyone in our forum would be willing to do a general translation of it.

With our moderator's OK, I'll upload the file to an appropriate area on the Polish Origins site...

Thanks for any input or help--
J.Krysiak
[/b]
Zenon
PolishOrigins Team Leader

Replies: 1515

Post Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:15 am      Post subject:

Of course Jim, you can upload your document scan in jpg file here.

There is a genealogy forum in Polish http://www.genealodzy.pl/PNphpBB2.phtml where are a few volunteers who translate Russian records into Polish. Although you are not fluent in Polish I am sure you will manage with your request. I have noticed that one of our members with only basic Polish language knowledge was able to send such request and received very good translations of his Russian documents.

So, this is what I suggest:

1. Upload your file here in our Forum (as far as I know they don't have the functionality of uploading files in genealodzy.pl Forum).

2. Go http://www.genealodzy.pl/PNphpBB2.phtml forum.

3. Register and send request to translate your Russian document into Polish (if you want I will write for you simple request formula) and give link to your post or scan uploaded here.

4. When you have Polish translation I think we can help you here Smile.
Send e-mail
BobK
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 231

Post Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:05 pm      Post subject:

I'm the member that got the translation of Russian documents about church events of my ancestors. Zenon has pointed you to the right website, genealodzy.pl. As he explained, you will need a userid and password there. Though they have an English area for you to post in, 98% of the web site and it's navigation require Polish.

If you, as me, don't understand enough Polish to find your way - open their web site under Google translate (http://translate.google.com). Enter their URL (http://www.genealodzy.pl) in the box and set Polish -> English & go.. Once you have the English version - OPEN A SECOND version in Polish (use a TAB, or another page of your browser) You will find it MUCH easier to go back and forth from the English to the Polish version with both open.
Why both? I found that you can not reply, or register while google translate is showing you the English translation! .. You MUST register and post your request on the UNTRANSLATED Polish display. Or you will have numerous fustrations wondering why you get Polish Error messages!

Once you have your document posted somewhere that you can point to (here as Zenon suggests), then find their "Russian Translate" Forum, (click "forum" under the "Main Menu" on the upper left). Scroll down to nearly the bottom of their first section, look for: In English: "Translation - Russian", in Polish: "Tłumaczenia - rosyjski"

Post your request in English (I kept it simple, most can read English, but the replies will be in Polish). Include your URL.

When you get your reply, you can use Google translate to get the English back. Google translate is MUCH better than any other translate website I tried, and will give you a fairly accurate version.

There is an English section, but it doesn't get as much action as other fora. But after a few weeks I did get someone that kindly translated from the Russian to English. It proved that Google did a good job.

Having two or more versions of the translation doesn't hurt, particulary from old Russian as I had someone explain to me that certain idioms had to be understood or you would get a misunderstanding.. I.E. on the death of my great grandmother, the Russian wording did not say "she was 39 years old", it said "she was 39 years from birth". Minor, but the context had a sense that she died in child birth! ..

If you have problems, their web master is helpful and can read/write English. If my explanation needs clarification, email me.

Bob K.
(krampetz at aol.com)
Send e-mail
Jakrysi
PolishOrigins Patron

Post Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:56 am      Post subject:

Pan Zenon and Bob,

Thanks for the great, detailed information in your responses! This is a "new" site for me (genealodzy.pl) and I explored it a bit. Thanks for that info.

I will do as suggested and register, etc and make my request for a general translation of the marraige document. (I'll give it a try myself first..but it'll take me a day or so..Wink

Also, will upload the jpeg here.

Just a comment that I'm familiar with the google translate tool, and have used it in these last months to explore Polish language sites that previously I spent hours with my Larousse angielsko-Polski dictionary. I realize the limitations of the tool, but it IS veryuseful and a time-saver for overviews or to get the "gist" of a site.

Also, I really enjoyed the post about Lent traditions & passed it on a few elderly relatives to see if they can recall or relate, etc..

I began to read an early English translation of Reymont's "The Peasants" (Winter) a few weeks ago and am enjoying it, though it was a difficult book to find. As much as I have enjoyed the geneology facet of my family research, I really have a love of lit, history and "context." It helps me with visualization and understanding of what came before, i suppose..

Yet, the strength, power (and lucky blessings!) of my various experiences during my first trip to Poland in 2007, continues to sustain this passion for my "other" mother country.

Ok, I'll get off off the soapbox--Thanks again for the assistance!

Dobranoc--Dziekuje!
JimK
Jakrysi
PolishOrigins Patron

Post Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:01 am      Post subject:

Hi Zenon.

After a few fatal errors, I realize that my jpeg was too large (2.14mg) to succesfully attach to the site...should I zip the file and resubmit or...?

Sorry--(I must have saved it at the LDS at a high resolution ratio format ..Ugh)

JimK
Zenon

Post Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:10 am      Post subject:

Jakrysi wrote:
After a few fatal errors, I realize that my jpeg was too large (2.14mg) to succesfully attach to the site...should I zip the file and resubmit or...?

Will you manage to resize it (decrease) to about 1 MB ? You can use any pictures editing software.

This article may be helpful in this case to manage images: http://polishorigins.com/document/computers_and_genealogy4
Send e-mail
Zenon

Post Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:49 am      Post subject:

Jakrysi wrote:

Thanks for the great, detailed information in your responses! This is a "new" site for me (genealodzy.pl) and I explored it a bit. Thanks for that info.

I will do as suggested and register, etc and make my request for a general translation of the marraige document. (I'll give it a try myself first..but it'll take me a day or so..Wink

Also, will upload the jpeg here.

Let us know how you managed Exclamation

Jakrysi wrote:
I began to read an early English translation of Reymont's "The Peasants" (Winter) a few weeks ago and am enjoying it, though it was a difficult book to find. As much as I have enjoyed the geneology facet of my family research, I really have a love of lit, history and "context." It helps me with visualization and understanding of what came before, i suppose..

You are right, I have been recently coming back to these books and authors: Trilogy of Henryk Sienkiewicz, Boleslaw Prus, Maria Dąbrowska, Eliza Orzeszkowa... And I enjoy and understand them much more than years ago.
For those who maybe didn't hear about it, Władysław Reymont was awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature for Chłopi ("The Peasants") over rivals Thomas Mann, Maxim Gorky and Thomas Hardy in 1924.

Jakrysi wrote:
Yet, the strength, power (and lucky blessings!) of my various experiences during my first trip to Poland in 2007, continues to sustain this passion for my "other" mother country.

Ok, I'll get off off the soapbox

You are very welcome to do this Very Happy . That's one of the main reasons this website was created for: to freely talk about your experience and passions Exclamation
Send e-mail
Jakrysi
PolishOrigins Patron

Post Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:21 pm      Post subject:

Ok, uploading a smaller version--

JK

Stanislaw_Joanna_Marraige_1873_b.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  220.76 KB
 Viewed:  7265 Time(s)

Stanislaw_Joanna_Marraige_1873_b.gif

Zenon

Post Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:37 pm      Post subject:

Jakrysi wrote:

Jim,

Inspired by you I posted short article about "The Peasant". What about watching a 10 minutes abstract from Polish film based on Chłopi Question Click here: http://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?p=782#782 Smile
Send e-mail
Zenon

Post Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:40 am      Post subject:

Jim,

This is translation of your record sent for you by Richard (username in our Forum: staripolak64) Smile :

---
Page No. 58
Brwilno This took place in the village of Sadziw on 28 January/9 February, 1873 at 1:00 pm. We declare that in the presence of witnesses Anton Rogalsky, age 46, and Jan Krysiak, age 38, both farmers residing in the village of Bwilno, there was concluded on this date the religious marriage union between Stanislaw Krysiak, single, age 25 years, born and residing with his father in the village of Brwilno, the son of Peter and Maryana Garwacka, legal marriage, Krysiak, farmers residing in the village of Brwilno, and Johanna Figiel, single, age 24 years, daughter of the deceased [name unclear] and Ewa nee Pokorska, legal marriage, Figiel. This marriage followed the thrice published banns announced at the local parish church on 7/19, 14/26 January and 21 January/2 February of this year. The newlyweds stated that no prenuptual agreement was concluded. Religious rites of marriage were completed by priest Alexander Dombrowsky, administrator of Sadziw [?] parish. This statement was read aloud to the witnesses who can neither read nor write, by the undersigned.

Father Alexander Dombrowsky

---

You can all read all more about Russian records translations in our Forum here: http://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?t=336
Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: