PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:51 am      Post subject:

Hi! i just registered; great website:compliments! i have done a lot of research on the internet for my great grand father origins. he is wassili miroslaw ostrowski a nobleman with the c.o.a korczak. he was born in 1856 and died in 1898 (43 years of age) he was an engineer and studied land surveying in a college in zytomyr (today ukraine) he was working in baku when he died and is buried there in the catholic church cemetery. his work certificate mentions that he was born in Warsaw. i am trying to find out more and possibly confirm his birthplace from church or civil records. i also will be happy to find his name in the school or university in zytomyr. there can't be too many colleges during that time who offered courses in land surveying. i understand that this kind of job was exclusive to decendants of nobility. not that i am looking to have my nobility descent confirmed, although it would be nice. but i would like to know if there are relatives. GGF Wassili did'nt siblings as fas as i know but i am sure there must have been relatives.
all the best!
andre
Zenon
PolishOrigins Team Leader

Replies: 1515

Post Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:12 am      Post subject:

Welcome to the Forum Andre,

Ostrowski is a very popular surname in Poland. In 2002 there were 19687 people bearing this surname and only in Warsaw there were 1292 of them.

I am afraid that without the name of parish in Warsaw where your great grandfather could be baptized it will be very difficult for you to find anything ....
Send e-mail
counto

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:11 am      Post subject: ostrowski

thanks Zenon, i agree that there are 19000 something ostrowski registered, but my great grand father (ggf)was born in Warsaw in the 1850s so how many parishes were there at the time? not so many to search.
he also was noble from the korczak clan, one of the oldest in Poland. so this an extra clue. i have written proof and a crystal seal with the coat of arms. i just don't know the language and even if i go to warsaw, i was told it will not be instant.
since my ggf carries a noble title, it means that his family must have fought for poland independence; that independence was earned by sweat and blood and not given easily, and it is something to be proud of.
Zenon
PolishOrigins Team Leader

Replies: 1515

Post Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:36 am      Post subject:

counto wrote:
my great grand father (ggf)was born in Warsaw in the 1850s so how many parishes were there at the time? not so many to search

According to Warsaw State Archives resources there were about 26 roman-catholic parishes in Warsaw in the second half of 19th century and at the beginning of 20th century. There were also more than 40 other parishes of different religions, mainly Eastern Orthodox church, as well as greek-catholics, Jewish and protestants.

There is a very interesting and valuable project of digitizing parish books from Warsaw Archive realized by Polish Genealogical Society, but it is on a very early stage (click here: http://www.asc.genealodzy.pl/index.php?op=zs&pw=59).

Currently, the only way to do research of those records is to visit the Archives personally...
Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: