PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 1

Post Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:43 am      Post subject: Help with Polish Origins

Hi, I am seeking help in trying to piece together my family history. Unfortunately my grandparents have both passed on and very little information was ever passed on to their sons. This leaves major holes in my research especially when I hit dead ends all the time.

This is what I have so far and this was obtained from the National Archives in Australia.

Name; Oksana Jacewicz (nee Antonec (sp?)) Born 20/1/1915 in Miliceve but on the declaration for immigration it is marked as Novo Melitzin
Parents; Carol Antonec - born 2/1/1886 & Anna Perucka - born 20/5/1886

Name; Waclaw Jacewicz - born 23/3/1906 in Minsk Bialorusia (as noted on immigration application)
Parents; Karol Jacewicz born - 1864 Poland
Maria Rosso born - 1864 Poland

My grandparents noted down on their application they were married in Baranovitch Poland on 10/4/43

I know that they spent a number of years going from displaced persons camps all throughout Germany and Poland before immigrating on the Anna Salen from Naples Italy to Sydney Australia in 1949.

Can someone help me in where I can go now and if they have the new names for some of these towns or if you have come across any of these names during your research. I would be greatful for any little bit I can get.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart.
Ness
Zenon
PolishOrigins Team Leader

Replies: 1515

Post Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:09 am      Post subject:

Welcome to the Forum Ness Smile,

To see Mińsk and Baranowicze location in today's Belarus click here: http://tinyurl.com/cxv3dn . If there are any records from this area I think they should be stored in State Archives in Belarus. Click here for website of State Archives of Belarus in Minsk http://archives.gov.by/eng/ .

Unfortunately, Belarus is one of the most challenging countries to do genealogy research, but it doesn't mean it is impossible to get information from there. Click for example here: http://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?t=169 to read thread about how our Forum members have dealt with Grodno Archives research in Belarus.

As for two remaining places Miliceve and Novo Melitzin, I am afraid that without information about the name of parishes where these villages (?) belonged to or at least bigger town nearby them it will be very difficult to find anything... From cursory look at Geographical Dictionary.... and phonetic transcription of your names I can only guess that it could be for example Milicz and Nowy Milicz in Homel district (now Belarus, too). But this is only wild guess, not suggested direction for further research.
Send e-mail
ewisn

Replies: 1

Post Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:01 pm      Post subject: Another guess

Baranovichi is a town in Belarus( part of Poland until 1946)
Send e-mail
Visit poster's website
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: