PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 12

Post Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:34 pm      Post subject: Decipher town name for Kida ancestor - 1906 passenger list

I'm trying to decipher the town of origin for an ancestor named Nellie Kida, who came to Lewiston, Maine, in 1906 with two cousins also named Kida. There are two attached files. The first one is the whole page from the passenger list. The second is a selection from the image showing the handwritten place name, just below the word "Austria". This, of course, means that the place was in the Austrian empire in 1906, which should help a little. The nearest I can come is Lastrwika. Can anyone help? Is the name Kida familiar to anyone, and if so, do you know what part of Poland the family might be from?

Many thanks,

Ted Russell

MysteryPlaceName.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  9.96 KB
 Viewed:  19569 Time(s)

MysteryPlaceName.jpg

1906ArrivalBostonNellieKida.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  779.82 KB
 Viewed:  12706 Time(s)

1906ArrivalBostonNellieKida.jpg

starkey76

Replies: 164

Post Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:28 pm      Post subject:

Maybe Lastowska?
sirdan
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 304

Post Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:28 pm      Post subject:

I have checked Kida surname on stevemorse.org, it looks like, that most frequent village whence Kida's come from is Łowisko http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C5%81owisko,_Podkarpackie_Voivodeship
tedrussell

Post Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:02 pm      Post subject:

Thank you very much! The town name is very close. And thanks also for the stevenmorse.org site - it is fantastic.
Magroski49
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 1762

Post Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:18 pm      Post subject: Re: Decipher town name for Kida ancestor - 1906 passenger li

tedrussell wrote:
I'm trying to decipher the town of origin for an ancestor named Nellie Kida, who came to Lewiston, Maine, in 1906 with two cousins also named Kida. There are two attached files. The first one is the whole page from the passenger list. The second is a selection from the image showing the handwritten place name, just below the word "Austria". This, of course, means that the place was in the Austrian empire in 1906, which should help a little. The nearest I can come is Lastrwika. Can anyone help? Is the name Kida familiar to anyone, and if so, do you know what part of Poland the family might be from?

Many thanks,

Ted Russell

Ted,

I clearly read it as Laskowka. There were three in what was then Galicia:
Laskowka
Laskowka Chorazka
Laskowka Dalastowka
now two of them in malopolskie and one in podkarpackie.

Gilberto
Send e-mail
tedrussell

Post Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:52 pm      Post subject:

Muito obrigado, Magroski49. I found Łowisko, and also all three Laskowkas, on a map. Łowisko is only about 2 miles (3 km) from Kamien, near Nisko, podparkaskie. Kamien is the town where Nellie's husband came from in 1905, so I think she must have come from Łowisko. I am confused, though, because the handwritten name certainly looks more like Laskowka.
Magroski49

Post Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:54 pm      Post subject:

tedrussell wrote:
Muito obrigado, Magroski49. I found Łowisko, and also all three Laskowkas, on a map. Łowisko is only about 2 miles (3 km) from Kamien, near Nisko, podparkaskie. Kamien is the town where Nellie's husband came from in 1905, so I think she must have come from Łowisko. I am confused, though, because the handwritten name certainly looks more like Laskowka.

Ted,

SteveMorse.org also show some Kida coming from Wulka (Wólka) Letowska. Since this place is very close to Kamien and Lowisko (map attached) I am now inclined to think that the name was misspelled in the manifest: could it be Le(s)towska written there?

Gilberto

P.S. Just noticed these ones and yours Kida were all going to Lewinston, ME. Bingo!

russell.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  78.95 KB
 Viewed:  12706 Time(s)

russell.JPG

Send e-mail
tedrussell

Post Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:29 pm      Post subject:

Gilberto, I think you've solved it! Thanks again to you and sirdan.

Ted
tedrussell

Post Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:54 am      Post subject:

One more question: Where on the stevenmorse.org site did you find more Kidas coming from Wulka Letowska? I'm just starting to learn about all of what is on this fantastic site.
Magroski49

Post Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:23 am      Post subject:

tedrussell wrote:
Gilberto, I think you've solved it! Thanks again to you and sirdan.

Ted

Ted,

Wolka Letowska 1890 birth records in parish Letownia:
http://szukajwarchiwach.pl/59/1236/0/-/1?q=letownia+XSKANro:t&wynik=1&rpp=15&page=1#tabSkany

Lowisko 1889 on birth records in parish Lowisko:
http://szukajwarchiwach.pl/59/1481/0/-/1?q=lowisko+XSKANro:t&wynik=2&rpp=15&page=1#tabSkany

Kamien:
http://www.szukajwarchiwach.pl/59/1480/0/-/1?q=kamien+XSKANro:t+XARCHro:59&wynik=2&rpp=15&page=1#tabSkany
Kamien, now I see, is written in the manifest, on the right side of the word "Laskowska"

all in Latin, columnar format.

Nellie declared she had never been before to the USA, which makes sense since she was just seventeen. However, Nellie is not a Polish name. Maybe you will have to look for her as Aniela? PetroNELLA?

Gilberto

Last edited by Magroski49 on Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Send e-mail
Magroski49

Post Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:25 am      Post subject:

tedrussell wrote:
One more question: Where on the stevenmorse.org site did you find more Kidas coming from Wulka Letowska? I'm just starting to learn about all of what is on this fantastic site.

Ted,

I have narrowed the search by marking the ethnicity boxes: austrian, galician, polish.
Some Kida names will lista Wulka, Wolka Cestowska (misspelled), etc.

Gilberto
Send e-mail
tedrussell

Post Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:05 pm      Post subject:

Gilberto, thank you for the link to the church archives. I'm quite familiar with these documents, having spent many hours searching through similar archives from Moravia, on the following site: http://actapublica.eu/

From this work, I know the key to quickly finding a particular record is finding an index. In the Moravian archives, the volumes were nicely organized by volume so that you could always find the index on the last few pages of a volume.

Nellie Kida reported her age as 17 on 4/13/1906 (excuse me for using the American standard for dates). This makes her date of birth between 4/14/1888 and 4/13/1889. However, her marriage record from 8/21/1920 says she was 32, and the US Census on 4/1/1930 says she was 42. Combining these two places her date of birth between 8/22/1887 and 4/1/1888, which is earlier than the period determined from the age on the passenger list.

I'm going to assume she had just turned 18 when she came on the ship, but reported her age as 17, and search through the latter date period in 1887-8. Then I'll continue the search into 1889.

Ted
tedrussell

Post Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:27 am      Post subject:

Gilberto, the records you provided start in 1889 or 1890. Are there any records available from earlier years? I have found many Kidas in the Lowisko archives, but Nellie was born a year or two earlier.
Magroski49

Post Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:43 am      Post subject:

tedrussell wrote:
Gilberto, the records you provided start in 1889 or 1890. Are there any records available from earlier years? I have found many Kidas in the Lowisko archives, but Nellie was born a year or two earlier.

Ted,

I could not find any, even in Diocese Archives. I am afraid they must be destroyed during the wars. Or records for earlier years where kept somewhere else, I don't know.

Gilberto
Send e-mail
tedrussell

Post Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:55 am      Post subject:

That's what I figured. Thank you for looking. I do have the names of Nellie's parents from another source, but they do not correspond to the names of the parents for any of the many births I found in the Records.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Villages and towns of our ancestors' origins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next Page 1 of 2

Jump to: