PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 960

Post Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:31 pm      Post subject: Origin of surname Bielec

Hello,
My grandfather's surname is Bielec, although I have also seen it spelled as Belec on some of his documents. He was born in the area of Dynow. I have also seen similar names such as Bielecki and Bielek, and am wondering if these are different surnames or variations of the same family?
Any information on the origins of this surname is greatly appreciated.
Best Regards,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
Elzbieta Porteneuve
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 3098

Post Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:53 am      Post subject: Re: Origin of surname Bielec

mcdonald0517 wrote:
Hello,
My grandfather's surname is Bielec, although I have also seen it spelled as Belec on some of his documents. He was born in the area of Dynow. I have also seen similar names such as Bielecki and Bielek, and am wondering if these are different surnames or variations of the same family?
Any information on the origins of this surname is greatly appreciated.
Best Regards,
Cynthia

Cynthia,

The etymology of Bielec, Bielecki, Bielek, etc. is easy:
biel = whiteness (co za biel za oknem! what a whiteness outside! when you have a strong fogg)
biały = white

Ornatowski' lists Bielec in its short section "Nazwania" (nazwac means to name something or someone), as one-word naming used to designate a person in very old times, before XII century. That one-word naming of people were not inherited.
http://www.ornatowski.com/sname.htm

Let's consider it's a starting point for you.

Best,
Elzbieta
mcdonald0517
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 960

Post Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:06 pm      Post subject:

Thank you, Elzbieta. If I am understanding you correctly, these "names" were given to an individual and not to a family, so the names were not inherited. Yet, it seems that at some point in 19th and 20th centuries, the individual names were adopted as family surnames. It will be interesting to see how far back I can trace Bielec as a family name before the trail is lost... but first I have to figure out how to get a response from the archives in Przemysl.... my email requests are not answered.
This is interesting...
Thanks again for your help,
Cynthia

PS, I notice that Google translates "Bielec" as "termite" !!
Send e-mail
Elzbieta Porteneuve
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 3098

Post Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:23 pm      Post subject:

mcdonald0517 wrote:
but first I have to figure out how to get a response from the archives in Przemysl.... my email requests are not answered.

Cynthia

PS, I notice that Google translates "Bielec" as "termite" !!

Re: Przemysl - me too! I even did not write to archives, because I was told the parishes and Curia are keeping everything hidden. The legen is that everything is difficult in Przemysl (also in souvenirs from my little childhood, when listening to my aunts).

Re: "Bielec" as termite. Wow. Using French, I get explanation that termite is a white ant. White is an answer!

Best,
Elzbieta
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Origins of surnames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: