PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 5

Post Posted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:46 am      Post subject: Surname Swieczkowski

Hey guys,

I have been trying to do research on part of my mom's family, the Swieczkowski's. I have traced back a few generations to the Gdansk region, but I have had little luck after that. I know the name means something along the lines with "candles" or "candler", but I really am not completely sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Agnieszka Pawlus
PolishOrigins Team

Replies: 748

Post Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:08 am      Post subject:

stiggy356,

Świeczkowski is from Polish świeczka- „small candle”.
This might be also Święczkowski, the origin of this is unclear, most common in northeastern Poland.

In 2002 there were 1011 individuals using the surname Świeczkowski/Świeczkowska living in Poland. Detailed map of the surname distribution can be found here: https://nazwiska-polskie.pl/%C5%9Awieczkowski .

As for Święczkowski there were 238 individuals using this surname. See the distribution map: https://nazwiska-polskie.pl/%C5%9Awi%C4%99czkowski .

Listen how this surname is pronounced in Polish (click on the “Listen” button): https://translate.google.com/#pl/de/%C5%9Awieczkowski and https://translate.google.com/#pl/de/%C5%9Awi%C4%99czkowski .

Click here http://polishorigins.com/databases/index?s=Swieczkowski to check what can be found about your surname in the PolishOrigins Databases tool.

Sources
Visit poster's website
stiggy356

Post Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:07 am      Post subject:

Thank you Aga Pawlus!

I knew that the origin of Świeczkowski was in northern/northeastern Poland, as all of my Świeczkowski ancestors were from that region in Poland. I just know it isn't a super common surname, and finding records in Poland has been more challenging than I thought.
Ciot

Replies: 31

Post Posted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:16 pm      Post subject: Swieczkowski

stiggy356 wrote:
Thank you Aga Pawlus!

I knew that the origin of Świeczkowski was in northern/northeastern Poland, as all of my Świeczkowski ancestors were from that region in Poland. I just know it isn't a super common surname, and finding records in Poland has been more challenging than I thought.

I Rita Ciot (Ciotuszynski) had a great-great Grandmother who was Maryanna Swieczkowska married to Szymon Buze.....they lived in Woluszewo, Poland and some Swieczkowskich still live there today from info given by Buze cousins who live in Poland. Buze families also in Woluszewo today. Look up the family tree on MyHeritage.com and maybe you will find familiar family members.
stiggy356

Post Posted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:39 pm      Post subject:

Very interesting Rita!

I looked on MyHeritage.com and couldn't find any connections, that I could tell, between my Swieczkowski/a line and the one you mentioned that was from Woluszewo. My Swieczkowski's immigrated to the US in the late 1800s, and settled in the Detroit area. I do great-great grandfather was the last Swieczkowski to be born in Poland, in Wejherowo I believe. There is most likely a connection, as I know Swieczkowski/a isn't a very common Polish surname.
Ciot

Replies: 31

Post Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:56 am      Post subject: Swieczkowski

stiggy356 wrote:
Very interesting Rita!

I looked on MyHeritage.com and couldn't find any connections, that I could tell, between my Swieczkowski/a line and the one you mentioned that was from Woluszewo. My Swieczkowski's immigrated to the US in the late 1800s, and settled in the Detroit area. I do great-great grandfather was the last Swieczkowski to be born in Poland, in Wejherowo I believe. There is most likely a connection, as I know Swieczkowski/a isn't a very common Polish surname.

I will see what I can find out....my Ciotuszynski/Buze family was first to come to the US in late 1800s (1888) families often travel across the ocean together. The cousin that helped me tremendously has passed away last year....he would have known the history on the Swieczkowski family. He mainly helped me on my Ciotuszynski/Buze line.
stiggy356

Post Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:09 pm      Post subject:

Okay that sounds good! I do not know 100% of my ancestors whereabouts in Poland. I would love to look more into it but I am not sure where to look exactly for records due to records possibly being German/Prussian/Polish or Russian. I would hope that there is some connection here and would love to see if you could find anything.
stiggy356

Post Posted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:39 pm      Post subject:

By chance did you find anything out Ciot?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Origins of surnames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: