PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 11

Post Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:34 pm      Post subject: Surname "Kuklis"

I was just wondering if anyone knows the origins of the name Kuklis.....in my research for surviving members of my moms family after the Holocaust I have found its as popular as Smith or Jones in the USA....
Visit poster's website
Elzbieta Porteneuve
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 3098

Post Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:08 am      Post subject: Re: Surname "Kuklis"

Moreland_Kuklis wrote:
I was just wondering if anyone knows the origins of the name Kuklis.....in my research for surviving members of my moms family after the Holocaust I have found its as popular as Smith or Jones in the USA....

Searching for etymology.

First, I found it in Stankiewicze:
http://www.stankiewicze.com/index.php?kat=44&sub=811

Kuklis - w grupie nazwisk pochodzących od podstawy kukl-, por. staropolskie kukla ‘podłużna bułka; kaptur’, kukła ‘lalka, marionetka’, kuklać ‘bić, nękać’. // Kuklis - in the group of names derived from the base kukl-, cf. Traditional Polish kukla 'oblong roll; hood 'puppet' doll, puppet ', kuklać' beat, harass'.

But, "kuklus" in Lithuanian means "modest".

Best,
Elzbieta
Moreland_Kuklis

Replies: 11

Post Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:54 am      Post subject:

thank you Ellzbieta....with yalls help and Facebook I may have found living relatives in Poland and Germany.....possibly Lithuania also....I Found over 75 currently new people with the last name GAJDZIS ...it seems one of the people I messaged with the last name GAJDZIS has a great grandmother named Kuklis...maybe my aunt......he contacted his father and grandmother and replied to me that it looks likes there is a big possibility we are related......his dad and grandmother are going thru old pictures and records looking to see what they can find,,,both his dad and grandmother are very exited...seems the 2 families have been friends and connected for many many decades in the past......grandmother remembers spending a lot of her childhood in my moms village growing up and she said the two families were very close....excuse spelling and grammer...very tired no sleep in 38 hours ..hard to stop research once I am maybe this close to finding out about my mom and her family prior to the war and after the war....I am soo excited.......wish mom was here.....I may just be able to fulfill my promise to her before she died.....thank you and everyone else here for your help.....
Visit poster's website
PolishLibrarian
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 311

Post Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:37 am      Post subject:

Congratulations! I had a similar experience - my grandparents each came in 1909, as well as a couple of siblings. I found an obituary from 1949 of my grandmother's sister saying she was survived by a brother in Poland (yea, b/c he would still have her surname and then his male children as well). Luckily both grandparents surnames are unusual. I searched the Internet & found someone in Chicago with the same surname. I wrote a letter to him, he talked to his father, and then he called to say his grandfather was my grandmother's brother. Eureka! This second cousin was born in Poland, but came to the U.S. 10-15 years ago, so the immigration continues. He told me of the living relatives in Poland & I was able to meet one of them on my trip the following year. Making the trip to Poland & meeting living relatives is an amazing experience, just as is related on the blogs here at PO. How great that the folks here were able to help you on this journey. ~PL
lorak282002

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:24 pm      Post subject: Kuklis in Dieveniskes

I saw your post about Kuklis in Dieveniskes. I have a family line of Kuklis, born in Dailides, but baptised in Dieveniskes. Dailides is just north of Dieveniskes. Most unusual to find someone looking for this name in that part of Lithuania. If you would like to dig further into a connection, email me at lorak 28 2002 at yahoo dot com.

I have a tree that goes back to early 1800s. A little bare, but maybe something we could connect to if related to this line.

Have you considered a DNA test?

lora
Magroski49
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 1762

Post Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:51 pm      Post subject:

DANE OSOBOWE
nazwisko KUKLIS
imię HELENA
data urodzenia 1928-07-01
miejsce urodzenia DZIEWICNISZKI

INFORMACJE O PRZEŚLADOWANIACH

Źródło: International Tracing Service (ITS) in Bad Arolsen
rodzaj represji deportowany do III Rzeszy
dodatkowe informacje po zakończeniu wojny przebywał na terenie Niemiec

http://www.straty.pl/index.php/en/szukaj-w-bazie

Gilberto
Send e-mail
lorak282002

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:17 am      Post subject:

My direct line left Lithuania around 1905-1908. Not sure of exact date. I believe there are still relatives in the town, but have not been able to locate them. I also think this may be a distant cousin. Do you have any ancestor's names?

lora
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Origins of surnames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: