PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PolishOrigins Team Leader

Replies: 1515

Post Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:47 pm      Post subject: Article: Sitting Down In My GGGrandfather's House.

Sitting Down In My GGGrandfather's House. Louis Forefather's Traces Tour to Poland. Part 1. Part 2.

Abstract of the story:
"(...)Then the best thing happened! I found out that the home of Valentine Welna had chosen to be an 18th century representative home in an open air museum in 1957. So the next day, we all went to the museum. When the guide at the museum found out that we were direct descendants, she took down the barriers and gave us free access to the whole house.

To put things in perspective and help your understanding, the ancestry order is: Louis D Welna -> son of Louis J. Welna -> son of John C. Welna -> son of John Welna -> son of Valentine Welna, son of Martin Welna born about 1754.

I took many pictures of the inside which I will include in the family history started by Mitzi Welna. Valentine’s name (Valentine Welna), the date (1827) and the name of the builder is carved on one of the beams. I got to sit at the table of my great great grandfather Valetine Welna’s kitchen table and wept. (...)

To read the whole Louis story click here: http://polishorigins.com/document/welnas_story
Send e-mail
Zenon

Post Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:32 pm      Post subject:

If you want to see Louis gggrandparents house on the map of Opole Open-Air Museum click here: http://www.muzeumwsiopolskiej.pl/imapa.do?mid=mid222 and find house no. 8 (on the right side in the middle) . As you move your cursor over each building you will find short description of it and after clicking on each of them there will be more pictures and full descriptions (unfortunately in Polish only). Turn on your speakers to hear all the background sounds.

And here: http://www.muzeumwsiopolskiej.pl/index.do?mid=mid65 can be found the main page of beautifully made website of The Opole Open-Air Museum of Rural Architecture.
Send e-mail
Zenon

Post Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:13 am      Post subject:

Abridged version of Louis Story appeared in Summer issue of Polish Genealogical Society of Minnesota Newsletter Exclamation

Look at scans below sent to me by Louis (click on the pictures to enlarge).

IMG_19112.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  695.45 KB
 Viewed:  4810 Time(s)

IMG_19112.jpg

IMG_19092.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  669.76 KB
 Viewed:  4811 Time(s)

IMG_19092.jpg

IMG_19102.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  634.5 KB
 Viewed:  4810 Time(s)

IMG_19102.jpg

Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> PO Genealogy Tours All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: