PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PolishOrigins Patron

Replies: 349

Post Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:16 pm      Post subject: Origin of surname on Baptism record

I recently sent away for a baptism record held by the Lithuanian State Archives and the initial data sheet has some rather interesting facts. Every baptism or marriage record I find pulls in new names and surnames into the family tree. One such name is Svirkovska it appears in the marriage record as the brides maiden name as follows:

Anna Narkiewicz-Svirkovska daughter of Josephat.

The interesting thing is on the birth records of her children (such as her son Jozef: my great grandfather) it says Anna Narkiewicz not the hyphened name. Were hyphenated names common in Poland in the 1800's? Also Ihave discovered the name Nakiewicz comes from the Lithuanian name Narkus.
The name Svirdovska the femanine of Svirdovski or Svirdovsky sounds more Russian than Polish to me but I 'll let you all give me your input in name origins.

The only theory proposed by a priest I know is that Svirdovsky(i) might be Ukrainian in origin, especially considering her father was named Josephat. He informed me of the Famous Greek Catholic Saint of the 17th Century Josaphat Kuntsevych we died a martyr do to the unrest from the Union of Brest.

I am sure once the full copies of the records get to me by mail, there will be more details to help fill in the puzzle but I figured I'd ask here (waiting for mail from Lithuania is not something I like to do) To see if any of my esteemed Polish Origins comrades had any idea(s) thanks in advance for your insights.

Hugh

Send e-mail
rsowa

Replies: 168

Post Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:32 pm      Post subject: Re: Origin of surname on Baptism record

ossnhughie wrote:

Anna Narkiewicz-Svirkovska daughter of Josephat.

The interesting thing is on the birth records of her children (such as her son Jozef: my great grandfather) it says Anna Narkiewicz not the hyphened name. Were hyphenated names common in Poland in the 1800's? Also Ihave discovered the name Nakiewicz comes from the Lithuanian name Narkus.

Hi Hugh...I have seen a LOT of my ancestors records that look like what you posted.

It means Anna Narkiewicz nee Svirkosvska, daughter of Josephat. In other words, her maiden name was Svirkovska and her father's name was Josephat Svirkovski. I think it's as simple as that.

Best,
Richard
ossnhughie
PolishOrigins Patron

Replies: 349

Post Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:56 pm      Post subject: thank you Richard

Thanks for your imput Richard, but I don't think I wa clear enough unfortunately at exactly what i meant. Anna Narkiewicz-Svirdovska married Wincenty Michalkiewicz so her name became Anna Michalkiewicz. Her maiden name is listed as Anna Narkiewicz-Svirdovska on her 1868 marriage record but in 1875 (on my great grandfather Jozef's Baptism) her Name is listed as Anna Michalkiewicz (nee Narkiewicz) without the hyphened name Svirdovska.

To add to the confusion on the 1870 Baptism record for her son Wincenty (whom she had with Wincenty Sr.) her name is listed Anna Michalkiewicz (nee Svirkowicz) or Svirkovic (in Lithuanian spelling). I am sure this is not all that unusual but it is fascinating none the less.

Hugh

Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Origins of surnames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: