PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 4

Post Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:21 am      Post subject: Records 1922 lvuv/lviv

Hello

I'm trying to obtain a birth record of my grandfather who was born in 1922 lviv/lvuv which was Poland at the time but now is Ukraine.

I paid a research firm who searched all the major archives across Poland, Ukraine and Germany and they could only obtain a document from the international tracing service.

I think he was born in a town called Sknyliv and he was a Roman Catholic.

I'm not sure if the documents have been released from that time period.

Name Roman Piotr Lobas
Year of birth 1922
Religion Roman Catholic
mcdonald0517
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 960

Post Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:12 pm      Post subject:

Hello Sabol,

I could not find his birth record, but I did find his DP index card from the Arolsen Archives. It provides some details about him, including names of his parents and his date of emigration to England.

See attached 2 pages.

Best,
Cynthia

14B53735-0DEB-4E63-A133-C76889462696.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  91.41 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

14B53735-0DEB-4E63-A133-C76889462696.jpeg

E3A397AA-11C5-4CC5-9C29-D90019448BBE.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  63.52 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

E3A397AA-11C5-4CC5-9C29-D90019448BBE.jpeg

Send e-mail
Sabol

Post Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:13 pm      Post subject:

Thanks but like I said in my original message I have that ????
mcdonald0517
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 960

Post Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:21 pm      Post subject:

Sorry, but Arolsen had 4 different documents for him, and you did not specify which one you had.

Best of luck with your research,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:24 am      Post subject: Re: Records 1922 lvuv/lviv

Sabol wrote:
Hello

I'm trying to obtain a birth record of my grandfather who was born in 1922 lviv/lvuv which was Poland at the time but now is Ukraine.

I paid a research firm who searched all the major archives across Poland, Ukraine and Germany and they could only obtain a document from the international tracing service.

Name Roman Piotr Lobas
Year of birth 1922
Religion Roman Catholic

Hi Sabol,
Present-day Sknyliv, Ukraine was called Skniłów when it was part of Lwów, Poland.
If you were to go to FamilySearch.org and look for church records that have been filmed from Skniłów, you will find only Greek Catholic records (but you may wish to take a look at this anyway, as it verifies the Sknyliv-Skniłów connection).
It appears that the Roman Catholic church for Skniłów was in Zimna Woda. FamilySearch has records from there:
https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/259709?availability=Family%20History%20Library
Some of those records are locked, others are open. Some are from the Zimna Woda church but only for specific villages. If you look at the very last entry in the list, it says Film # 2398603, Item 6, has births 1899-1935 for Skniłów and these digital images are not locked.
I cannot read the images, so I cannot do the search for you. Do you know why your researcher said they could not find the record you want? A professional researcher should be able to tell you whether the record you are seeking is in a particular timeframe which is missing or illegible. If the records from that place and time are there, but your ancestor is not, then it means you need to search elsewhere. This is a basic piece of information that I would expect from a professional researcher who says they could not find your record.
Good luck with your search,
Sophia
Sabol

Post Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:26 am      Post subject: Re: Records 1922 lvuv/lviv

Strangely it says it goes up to 1935(the last) box but the actual raw images don't even go into that time period

Sophia wrote:
Sabol wrote:
Hello

Name Roman Piotr Lobas
Year of birth 1922
Religion Roman Catholic

Hi Sabol,
Present-day Sknyliv, Ukraine was called Skniłów when it was part of Lwów, Poland.
If you were to go to FamilySearch.org and look for church records that have been filmed from Skniłów, you will find only Greek Catholic records (but you may wish to take a look at this anyway, as it verifies the Sknyliv-Skniłów connection).
It appears that the Roman Catholic church for Skniłów was in Zimna Woda. FamilySearch has records from there:
https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/259709?availability=Family%20History%20Library
Some of those records are locked, others are open. Some are from the Zimna Woda church but only for specific villages. If you look at the very last entry in the list, it says Film # 2398603, Item 6, has births 1899-1935 for Skniłów and these digital images are not locked.
I cannot read the images, so I cannot do the search for you. Do you know why your researcher said they could not find the record you want? A professional researcher should be able to tell you whether the record you are seeking is in a particular timeframe which is missing or illegible. If the records from that place and time are there, but your ancestor is not, then it means you need to search elsewhere. This is a basic piece of information that I would expect from a professional researcher who says they could not find your record.
Good luck with your search,
Sophia
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:45 pm      Post subject: Re: Records 1922 lvuv/lviv

"Strangely it says it goes up to 1935(the last) box but the actual raw images don't even go into that time period"

Hi Sabol,
I just went into the images and they are indeed legible. They are in Latin. I looked at every birth from 1911 to 1933 and I do not see your Roman Piotr Lobas. Admittedly, I just scanned down the columns and read the given names. You could easily go there yourself and look at the parents' names (it will be much more tedious) to see if you can spot him or possible siblings.
Not sure what you mean when you say that the raw images do not go to 1935, so let me guess at what the problem may be, and mention that when you pull up the images for that film, you must get to ITEM 6 and look at the images there. I suspect you went past item 6 and were looking at the last image of the entire film.
Best of luck,
Sophia
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:43 pm      Post subject: Re: Records 1922 lvuv/lviv

Sophia wrote:
"Strangely it says it goes up to 1935(the last) box but the actual raw images don't even go into that time period"

Hi Sabol,
I just went into the images and they are indeed legible. They are in Latin. I looked at every birth from 1911 to 1933 and I do not see your Roman Piotr Lobas. Admittedly, I just scanned down the columns and read the given names. You could easily go there yourself and look at the parents' names (it will be much more tedious) to see if you can spot him or possible siblings.
Not sure what you mean when you say that the raw images do not go to 1935, so let me guess at what the problem may be, and mention that when you pull up the images for that film, you must get to ITEM 6 and look at the images there. I suspect you went past item 6 and were looking at the last image of the entire film.
Best of luck,
Sophia

Hi Sophia & Sabol,

I checked from 1921 (Image 546) to 1924 (Image 557) and did not find anyone whose father’s surname was Edmund Lobas. Perhaps if he had siblings it may prove worthwhile checking prior to 1921 and after 1924 for them.

Good luck.

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> In search of relatives / Poszukiwani krewni All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: