PolishOrigins Forum

 FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Surname "Marut"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author
Message
nfstev



Joined: 17 Feb 2015
Replies: 53

Back to top
Post Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:13 pm      Post subject:
Reply with quote

volare wrote:
The World War 1 Draft card is interesting in that it doesn't match the one that I've already found for him! The signature on the card below is visibily similar to known signatures of his that I have, unlike the one you have found. They were in Chicago in 1910, but by 1920 they have moved to Wisconsin in the area of Weyerhauser. I have found death certificates for young children that died in Chicago in 1912 with father Martin and mother Agnes living on 1866 Seward St.


Martin Marut and Agnes Popek had a son "Vaclav" (Walter) Marut that was born on July 18, 1915 in Cook County, IL. It would be interesting to know where the family was living when he was born.

_________________
Norbert Stevens
View user's profile
Send private message
PolishLibrarian
PO Top Contributor


Joined: 28 Aug 2010
Replies: 307

Back to top
Post Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:14 pm      Post subject:
Reply with quote

volare wrote:
The World War 1 Draft card is interesting in that it doesn't match the one that I've already found for him! The signature on the card below is visibily similar to known signatures of his that I have, unlike the one you have found. They were in Chicago in 1910, but by 1920 they have moved to Wisconsin in the area of Weyerhauser. I have found death certificates for young children that died in Chicago in 1912 with father Martin and mother Agnes living on 1866 Seward St.

Note that his nearest relative is Agnes Marut living in Weyerhaeuser. Apparently the railroad line ran straight from the Twin Cities to Weyerhaeuser and many NE Mpls. residents relocated to Weyerhaeuser in the 1910s and 1920s. Your GGF was working for the RR in Weyerhaeuser according to the 1920 census. ~PL
View user's profile
Send private message
volare



Joined: 20 Feb 2015
Replies: 21

Back to top
Post Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:16 pm      Post subject:
Reply with quote

PolishLibrarian wrote:

Interestingly my GF in that year was living at 2535 NE 7th St. (3 blocks directly east of your GGF). In addition my GM's sister & her husband moved from NE Mpls. to Weyerhaeuser in 1916, and in 1930 they were living in the same township (Strickland) as Martin & Agnes. According to the Strickland Township map my relatives lived in Section 36 and yours lived in Section 24, about 2 mi. up the road from my relative's farm. The children of my relatives were of similar age to Martin's children so they may have attended country school together. I was just in Weyerhaeuser in Oct. taking pictures of gravestones at St. Peter & Paul church cemetery. If you don't have the township map & are interested I can send you the image or post it here. ~PL



THAT is Incredible!!

I have a STACK of old deeds for land up there in in Strickland Township. He was always buying and selling land I guess for farming. I will have to go thru them and see if I can find your relatives. How crazy would that be?!


Last edited by volare on Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile
Send private message
volare



Joined: 20 Feb 2015
Replies: 21

Back to top
Post Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:27 pm      Post subject:
Reply with quote

nfstev wrote:

Martin Marut and Agnes Popek had a son "Vaclav" (Walter) Marut that was born on July 18, 1915 in Cook County, IL. It would be interesting to know where the family was living when he was born.


I was just talking to my Dad about this today, and he remembers (great) Uncle Wally.
View user's profile
Send private message
PolishLibrarian
PO Top Contributor


Joined: 28 Aug 2010
Replies: 307

Back to top
Post Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:38 pm      Post subject:
Reply with quote

The 1900 census has an Annie Decz, age 24 (born Mar 1876) and an Anna Decz, age 22 (born May 1878) boarding with the same family in Passaic, NJ. There were eight boarders living with a husband (age 30), wife (27) & daughter (2) surname Murijas. Both Anna/ie came in 1897, both born in Austria, both working as mill hands.
View user's profile
Send private message
PolishLibrarian
PO Top Contributor


Joined: 28 Aug 2010
Replies: 307

Back to top
Post Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:40 pm      Post subject:
Reply with quote

[quote/] THAT is Incredible!!

I have a STACK of old deeds for land up there in in Strickland Township. He was always buying and selling land I guess for farming. I will have to go thru them and see if I can find your relatives. How crazy would that be?![/quote]

I'll send you a PM with their names. ~PL
View user's profile
Send private message
volare



Joined: 20 Feb 2015
Replies: 21

Back to top
Post Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:49 pm      Post subject:
Reply with quote

PolishLibrarian wrote:

Marcin in 1898 says he's going to a brother in Pittsburg. If you found a family tree for the Martin Marut who was married to a Frances, they may have “taken” this 1898 Marcin for their tree because it was the only one they could find as well. Doesn't mean he is not your Marcin – they could be wrong.


Yes, that's the other Martin Marut. And of course you're right that they might have taken it since it was the only one they could find. I couldn't tell from looking at their tree how much of an immediate relative it was, so it might have just been plugged in without much thought. Althought they did have gravestone photos from what I recall.

One thing gave me pause was that the ship manifest says he's going to his brother. My typed family "history" said no family in the US. But maybe he just lied to get thru the immigration line? Notice too that address that's handwritten out to the side of the rest of the data on his line? It's in a different handwriting and everything. I've wondered if that's the address he was supposedly going to. It does seem to map to a street in Pittsburg. I've not been able to find any 1900 census records that seem to correspond.
View user's profile
Send private message
volare



Joined: 20 Feb 2015
Replies: 21

Back to top
Post Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:51 pm      Post subject:
Reply with quote

PolishLibrarian wrote:
The 1900 census has an Annie Decz, age 24 (born Mar 1876) and an Anna Decz, age 22 (born May 1878) boarding with the same family in Passaic, NJ. There were eight boarders living with a husband (age 30), wife (27) & daughter (2) surname Murijas. Both Anna/ie came in 1897, both born in Austria, both working as mill hands.


I'm lost. Is this meant for this thread or perhaps a different one?
View user's profile
Send private message
nfstev



Joined: 17 Feb 2015
Replies: 53

Back to top
Post Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:27 am      Post subject:
Reply with quote

volare wrote:
PolishLibrarian wrote:
The 1900 census has an Annie Decz, age 24 (born Mar 1876) and an Anna Decz, age 22 (born May 1878) boarding with the same family in Passaic, NJ. There were eight boarders living with a husband (age 30), wife (27) & daughter (2) surname Murijas. Both Anna/ie came in 1897, both born in Austria, both working as mill hands.


I'm lost. Is this meant for this thread or perhaps a different one?


You are off by one line on the manifest. Agnes' destination was her sister Maria Popek in Passaic NJ (not Mayanna Dec).

_________________
Norbert Stevens
View user's profile
Send private message
nfstev



Joined: 17 Feb 2015
Replies: 53

Back to top
Post Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:35 am      Post subject:
Reply with quote

I did some family research in the same Passaic neighborhood a while back and determined that the Polish Roman Catholic Church there was Holy Family Parish located at 6 Wall Street in Passaic.
The reason I mention that is if this Agnes Popek married in Passaic, then that would be the most likely church.

_________________
Norbert Stevens
View user's profile
Send private message
PolishLibrarian
PO Top Contributor


Joined: 28 Aug 2010
Replies: 307

Back to top
Post Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:49 am      Post subject:
Reply with quote

nfstev wrote:
volare wrote:
PolishLibrarian wrote:
The 1900 census has an Annie Decz, age 24 (born Mar 1876) and an Anna Decz, age 22 (born May 1878) boarding with the same family in Passaic, NJ. There were eight boarders living with a husband (age 30), wife (27) & daughter (2) surname Murijas. Both Anna/ie came in 1897, both born in Austria, both working as mill hands.


I'm lost. Is this meant for this thread or perhaps a different one?


You are off by one line on the manifest. Agnes' destination was her sister Maria Popek in Passaic NJ (not Mayanna Dec).


Sorry for the confusion - the 1902 manifest that I posted (that Volare linked to Agnes Popek on her family tree) has Agnieszka Popek (indexed Topek) going to Anna Dec in Passaic. So I tried to find this Anna Dec in 1900 census and found 2 Anna/ie Decz living together in Passaic (could they be sisters if one is Anna and one is Annie?). On this same 1902 manifest there was a Maryanna Popek going to Passaic. I thought perhaps Maryanna Popek in 1902 could be the Maria Popek in 1904 that Norbert's manifest had Agnes Popek going to. Is that a little clearer?

Makes one think there may have been more than one Popek family in Mazury as well as more than one Decz family. Making it difficult to determine which Agnes Popek is the correct one since these manifests don't list the nearest relative left in Poland. ~PL
View user's profile
Send private message
Magroski49
PO Top Contributor & Patron


Joined: 10 Nov 2008
Replies: 1742
Location: Joao Pessoa - Brazil

Back to top
Post Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:14 am      Post subject:
Reply with quote

Agnieszka Popek and Anna Dec born on the same day in Mazury. Records #41 and 42. Coincidence? The year is 1890.
http://szukajwarchiwach.pl/59/1327/0/-/1/skan/full/CQFRcdqFYP_DRsNHKNS_iQ

Gilberto
View user's profile
Send private message
Send e-mail
volare



Joined: 20 Feb 2015
Replies: 21

Back to top
Post Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:18 am      Post subject:
Reply with quote

Magroski49 wrote:
Agnieszka Popek and Anna Dec born on the same day in Mazury. Records #41 and 42. Coincidence? The year is 1890.
http://szukajwarchiwach.pl/59/1327/0/-/1/skan/full/CQFRcdqFYP_DRsNHKNS_iQ

Gilberto


1890 seems too late for this Agnes if she came over in 1902.
View user's profile
Send private message
nfstev



Joined: 17 Feb 2015
Replies: 53

Back to top
Post Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:04 pm      Post subject:
Reply with quote

Magroski49 wrote:
Agnieszka Popek and Anna Dec born on the same day in Mazury. Records #41 and 42. Coincidence? The year is 1890.
http://szukajwarchiwach.pl/59/1327/0/-/1/skan/full/CQFRcdqFYP_DRsNHKNS_iQ

Gilberto



Gilberto
The Agnes Popek that is the subject of our search was born around March 14, 1883 or 1883-1884.
Norbert

_________________
Norbert Stevens
View user's profile
Send private message
volare



Joined: 20 Feb 2015
Replies: 21

Back to top
Post Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:18 pm      Post subject:
Reply with quote

I've just spent a while going through my mortgages and deeds that I have for the Wisconsin property. Martin and Agnes purchased their land in Rusk county in August of 1917. I didn't find any of PL's relatives listed in the records, but I did record some other names that I'll PM to her to see if they coorespond to anyone else on her tree. I've attached a photo of one of the earliest documents which has Martin's signature. As you can see most of the document is done in ink, and everywhere it says "Agnes" it has been appended in pencil with a "szka" ending. Cute. Later documents simply refer to her as Agnes.


mortgage20aug1917Rusk.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.3 MB
 Viewed:  2386 Time(s)

mortgage20aug1917Rusk.jpg


View user's profile
Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Origins of surnames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB ©

© 2019 COPYRIGHTS BY THE OWNER OF POLISHORIGINS.COM