PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 10

Post Posted: Fri May 15, 2009 6:12 am      Post subject: Advice researching my father in law

My father in law was Wilhelm SIKORA and he was born in Rydultowy in February 1919. He died in England in 1986. He never talked about his family in Poland. My wife and I would like to find out more about him.

I have found that in 1938 he was living in Saarland Strasse, Rydultau. I have also managed to find that his father was Franciszek and his mother was Julia CZEMPIK.

My wife and I have planned a trip to this area of Poland in September this year to see where he lived. I worked in Poland for a little while in 1997 and 1998 but my wife has never been there. Neither of us speak any Polish, my wife speaks a little Swiss German.

Prior to travelling later in the year can anyone give me any pointers to finding out some genealogical information about him prior to us visiting the area.? Would we have more luck asking when we visit? Or anything else that we could do to find out more about him and whether there are any relatives of his still alive today?

Any advice would be most welcome. (I have years of research experience in the UK but this will be a new challenge).
Zenon
PolishOrigins Team Leader

Replies: 1515

Post Posted: Fri May 15, 2009 9:09 am      Post subject:

Hello Colin,

I am in the middle of preparation for the next Forefathers Traces Tour with my honorable guest from West Virginia and when I am back, at the beginning of the last week of May, I can make initial investigation what can be done in case of your research.

What I can say now is that if there are any records existing from the years you are telling about (1919, 1938) they can be stored in a local Civil Registry Office for Rydultowy.

Maybe in the meantime someone else will have a good piece of advise, too.
Send e-mail
Zenon

Post Posted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:28 am      Post subject:

Hello Colin again,

I checked that in Rydultowy Civil Registry Office there should be birth records from 1919. It is possible that part of the records is in Rybnik CRO, in case your father in law lived in part of the town called Dziadoszowo.

The best way to get the full abstract of the record is to visit CRO in Rydultowy personally and to prove your or your wife's relation to him.

I also checked that currently there live at least five persons bearing surname Sikora and three bearing surname Czempik. I have phone numbers to all of them.

Here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rydu%C5%82towy you will find more information about the wotn and here: http://www.rydultowy.pl/ is the official website of the town.

Hope it helps a little.
Send e-mail
colin

Replies: 10

Post Posted: Wed May 27, 2009 11:28 am      Post subject:

That is great information. Smile Thank you for all your help. I hope someone there speaks a little English Confused
Zenon

Post Posted: Thu May 28, 2009 2:07 pm      Post subject:

colin wrote:
That is great information. Smile Thank you for all your help.

My pleasure Smile

colin wrote:
I hope someone there speaks a little English Confused

Well, I am afraid it may be a problem... I would recommend you to learn a few basic sentences like "akt urodzenia mojego ojca" - "birth certificate of my father", or maybe find someone who would help you while talking with the office workers. However, I think there can be people, native Silesians, speaking German.

Good luck Exclamation
Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: