PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 354

Post Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:00 pm      Post subject: most recent discovered surnames Subotowicz and Swirkowska

Greetings to PO friends,

These are the most recent two names I have found in my tree I know from prior family surnames just about all -ewicz or owicz names, that it means in essence son of whatever is before it. Previous names include Michalkiewicz, Szymkiewicz, and Narkiewicz or as I have been told Son of Michael, Simon, and Narkus. Any ideas what Subotowicz translates roughly too? Also Swirkowska is refering to my Great great grandmther Anna so I am assuming Swirkowska is in effect Swirkowsk(i)(y)? which I also have no idea about.

Any expert input would be most appreciated, or for that matter any input Smile

Hugh

Send e-mail
Elzbieta Porteneuve
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 3098

Post Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:12 am      Post subject: Re: most recent discovered surnames Subotowicz and Swirkowsk

ossnhughie wrote:
Any ideas what Subotowicz translates roughly too? Also Swirkowska is refering to my Great great

Subotowicz is from "subota" or "sobota", Saturday in slavic, as confirmed in Stankiewicze:
http://www.stankiewicze.com/index.php?kat=44&sub=827

Suboto - (pod wpływem wschodniosłowiańskim) od sobota.

Swirkowski:
http://www.stankiewicze.com/index.php?kat=44&sub=551

Świrkowski - od świerk ‘drzewo iglaste’ lub od świerkać ‘ćwierkać’.
//
Etymology: świerk = spruce 'conifer tree' or świerkać = 'to tweet' (in the sense sound made by a bird, not yet social network Wink )

Best,
Elzbieta
ossnhughie
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 354

Post Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:46 pm      Post subject: curious as to how name could have come to be

Elzbieta,

If Subotowicz comes from Saturday does this name translate to "Son of Saturday". I wonder how such a name came to be? Perhaps and ancestor was born on saturday?? Any ideas or speculation?

Hugh

Send e-mail
SubbotaAnton

Replies: 6

Post Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:44 pm      Post subject:

Hello!

I do research of "Saturday" surname. It includes Ukraine, Belarus, Russia, Serbia. I would like to add as many countries as possible.

In Ukraine I tracked my roots (I am Subbota). After ±1730 year they had surname "Subota", but before had surname "Subotenko", which is pretty much close to Subota and means practically same.

And it's not only for my ancestor, I saw same several times and in same period - 1710-1750, where Subotenko changes his surname to Subota. But still in Ukraine there are Subotenko, but Subota is common case.

(btw I am going to test Y-DNA of Subotenko soon and it will discover are we relative or not).

Also in list of cossacks in 1649 year there are 3 Subotenko (and one more with surname close to Subotenko).

I have a project where I do research of surname, using DNA test (only Y chromosome, not autosomal). https://www.familytreedna.com/groups/subota/about

There are people from Ukraine, Russia, Serbia, Belarus in project. I hope new people will join this project too.

For now, there are 3 independent branches (different haplogroup) of Subota.

One probably came from Serbia (or close to this country).

Origin of second isn't clear.

The third one (my) is N-M231, with mutation L1027. It's really interesting that my Subota are relative with Giedroyć family

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giedroy%C4%87_family?fbclid=IwAR219yOZf35WGSxL_nhFS8V_F5_puEu7G5B8z7kwJX4GsjvABIpzQHy-VVk

That motivated me to write this post also. There are a lot of Sobota in Poland, and I checked some online sources and see that Sobota mentioned hundreds years ago. For example, https://szukajwarchiwach.pl/53/4391/0/-/I_%202?q=sobota&order=data_poczatkowa&wynik=43&rpp=15&page=3#tabJednostka

So my goals now is:

1) to invite people from Poland, who have surname "Sobota", to do DNA test (Y-12). I may pay for this test in case it's needed.
2) to share my information about Subota and ask about Sobota
3) I can share my information about origin of that surname, I have some examples, but of course it covers just some cases.

Best regards,
Anton Subbota
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Origins of surnames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: