PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 11

Post Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:22 am      Post subject: What My Ancestors Ate and Drank in Middle Ages

Do you like Polish cuisine?

Are you curious what kind of food and beverages were common or popular in Middle Ages in Poland?

Check the new article on our Blog "What My Ancestors Ate and Drank in Middle Ages?"

http://blog.polishorigins.com/2015/02/26/what-my-ancestors-ate-and-drank-in-middle-ages/

If you ask a contemporary Pole what are traditional Polish dishes, certainly, among others, he will mention “schabowy” (pork chops) with potatoes or “bigos”. But only a few know that both dishes are quite new to Polish cuisine.

So what should you eat if you want to experience old Polish delicacies?"

Potatoes were brought to Europe from America, initially as ornamental plants. Their culinary advantages had not been noticed until the late eighteenth and early nineteenth century. In Poland, potatoes became widespread by the end of nineteenth century, which was slightly more than 100 years ago. “Kotlet schabowy” became popular in the PRL period (Communist Poland 1945 – 1989), and it is a copy of the Austrian Viennese style schnitzel (not Wiener Schnitzel which is made from veal). “Bigos” was already known in the sixteenth century, but, in fact, it was rather similar to contemporary “goulash” – just pieces of chopped meat. It did not evolve into the contemporary form – dishes made of cabbage and meat – until the eighteenth century.

If you want to read more click here:

http://blog.polishorigins.com/2015/02/26/what-my-ancestors-ate-and-drank-in-middle-ages/[/i]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Polish cuisine All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: