PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 26

Post Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:46 pm      Post subject: Czernina (Duck soup)

When I was younger mom use to make this soup, when she access to a freshly killed duck usually from a butcher store. Haven't had in in a very very very long time.

I found the recipe online at this address
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/duck-soup-czarnina/
Mary Pate

Replies: 59

Post Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:58 am      Post subject:

I remember it at Thanksgiving. Didn't really like the idea when it was called Duck's Blood Soup but ate some picking out the raisins.
"Thanks for the memory!" Taking the recipe to a family reunion this evening.
frozendoll

Replies: 1

Post Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:58 am      Post subject:

In old times it used to be served to a man who's proposal was rejected. If you've ever read "Pan Tadeusz" by Mickiewicz, there was example of it. So... It says something about this soup Smile
WSheleski

Replies: 7

Post Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:39 pm      Post subject: Czernina

When I was a child, my grandfather (born 1890), father (born 1921), and my father's brothers (b. 1924 and 1933) used to talk about my long-departed grandmother making Czarnina. After several years of hearing about this, my mother decided to make a batch. My siblings and I watched the process and agreed that it was about the most disgusting thing we had ever seen. My mother used the recipe passed on down from my grandmother. To do it right, you had to leave the duck's skeleton in the soup, make the soup sour, and, since dried duck blood is black, you ended up with something that looked like a witch's brew/swill that you served on Halloween as a joke. When people ate this stuff, the idea was that they would pick the duck bones out of their bowls of soup and suck/chew the duck remains from them. As my grandfather broke open and slurped the marrow from the duck bones (which was disgusting in itself), he said that the soup wasn't sour enough. The way you made the soup more sour was to add more vinegar. Forget this nonsense about lemon juice. Peasants in Poland didn't have much access to lemons! Eating this stuff is definitely an acquired taste. And I never acquired it. To each his own.
sheep17
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 123

Post Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:51 pm      Post subject: czarnina

Czarnina is not a favorite memory - However, we need to think of it as being a wise use of what was available for meals years ago. My grandmother (b. Poland 1866 d. Ill 1943) made it for her family - they had ducks on the farm. and there were very, very few grocery stores to buy food. Pigs, cows and sheep raised were a source of income - rarely for family meals My mother ()1895-1967) also made czarnina - it was an inexpensive meal for a family during depression years. And in those years, restaurant meals were for the wealthy. (McDonald's didn't exist Smile ). In Poland, I'm told, farms were small - a duck was more likely to be available than other meat, and no part of an animal was wasted my parents told me, so they had recipes for animal parts that we wouldn't consider today (ham hocks, head cheese?)
sheep17
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Polish cuisine All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: