PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 14

Post Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:56 am      Post subject: Question on item from ancestral village

Czesc
Recently on a trip to Poland, we were presented a copy of the Parish History book from Krostkowo, Poland.
I'm working on translating it page by page with Google Translate, knowing that it will not be a perfect translation, but will give a good idea of the content.

I've come across one item in the translation that is of interest and is also puzzling.
It is on a grave marker and seems to denote ownership of the village.
A friend of mine, originally from Poland, read it and thought it meant that the person, at one time, owned the village.
My family were tenant farmers, of that village, prior to emigrating to America in 1877

So my question is what would your thoughts be? Would this have been a common occurrence in Poland?
Here is the Polish vs the Google translation. (Krostkowa, Kosztowa are villages of my ancestors. I'm not sure where Jeziorek is located)

"Tu spoczywa s.p. Walenty Sikorski dziedzic dobr Krostkowa, Kosztowa i Jeziorek zm dn 22 maja 1824 r. i malzonka tegoz Wiridianna z Lakinskich Sikorska zm. dn. sierpnia 1827 r. Prosza o westchnienie"

"Here rests s.p. Walenty Sikorski, heir to the property of Krostkowa, Kosztowa and Jeziorek on May 22, 1824, and the wife of Wiridianna, née Lakinski, Sikorska, died on dn. August 1827 I am asking for a sigh"

Thank you kindly,
Mick Grochowski
Norfolk, VA
Visit poster's website
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2782

Post Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:34 pm      Post subject: Re: Question on item from ancestral village

mickgmickg wrote:
Czesc
Recently on a trip to Poland, we were presented a copy of the Parish History book from Krostkowo, Poland.
I'm working on translating it page by page with Google Translate, knowing that it will not be a perfect translation, but will give a good idea of the content.

I've come across one item in the translation that is of interest and is also puzzling.
It is on a grave marker and seems to denote ownership of the village.
A friend of mine, originally from Poland, read it and thought it meant that the person, at one time, owned the village.
My family were tenant farmers, of that village, prior to emigrating to America in 1877

So my question is what would your thoughts be? Would this have been a common occurrence in Poland?
Here is the Polish vs the Google translation. (Krostkowa, Kosztowa are villages of my ancestors. I'm not sure where Jeziorek is located)

"Tu spoczywa s.p. Walenty Sikorski dziedzic dobr Krostkowa, Kosztowa i Jeziorek zm dn 22 maja 1824 r. i malzonka tegoz Wiridianna z Lakinskich Sikorska zm. dn. sierpnia 1827 r. Prosza o westchnienie"

"Here rests s.p. Walenty Sikorski, heir to the property of Krostkowa, Kosztowa and Jeziorek on May 22, 1824, and the wife of Wiridianna, née Lakinski, Sikorska, died on dn. August 1827 I am asking for a sigh"

Thank you kindly,
Mick Grochowski
Norfolk, VA

Hi Mike,

In the 19th Century it was common for members of the szlachta to own estates and villages. Peasant who lived on the estates or in the villages owned by the noble were tenants of the landowner who paid rent either in cash or in labor, unless they had managed to purchase a cottage and/or a plot of ground, which they owned outright. Attached is an entry from the Słownik geograficzny which indicates that the owner of Kosztowo had once been L. Sikorski, most likely an heir/descendant of Walenty.

Hope this helps.

Wishing you success with your translation project,

Dave

Screenshot_2019-08-20 Słownik geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego i innych krajów słowiańskich, Tom IV - wynik wyszukiwania - [...].png
 Description:
 Filesize:  36.64 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Screenshot_2019-08-20 Słownik geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego i innych krajów słowiańskich, Tom IV - wynik wyszukiwania - [...].png

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: