PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Meaning of surname Lempek
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Author

Replies: 46

Post Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:32 pm      Post subject: Meaning of surname Lempek

My Great-Grandfather left Dlutowo Poland [Masowieckie region] in 1893 and came to the U.S.A . His surname was [Lempek] .Was wondering if
you might know the meaning of this surname?
Zenon
PolishOrigins Team Leader

Replies: 1515

Post Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:27 am      Post subject:

Welcome to the Forum billymatt,

According to William F. Hoffman book Polish Surnames:
Lamp-; Lempek from Polish lampa- „lamp”, also short for Lambert - Germanic dithematic name meaning "land" + "bright".

In 2002 there were 234people bearing the surname Lempek living in Poland. Detailed map can be found here: https://nazwiska-polskie.pl/Lempek .

Sources

Last edited by Zenon on Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Send e-mail
billymatt

Post Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:23 pm      Post subject:

Thank's Zenon. I found that information very useful and helpful
I appreciate your time and research. I would like to ask just couple more
questions. Doe's this finding mean that my later ancestors were possibly Germans? And is Dziadlowo the same as Dlutowo.

One again thanks for all your Help and Have A happy Fathers day.
Zenon

Post Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:10 am      Post subject:

billymatt wrote:
Doe's this finding mean that my later ancestors were possibly Germans?

Well, sounding of the surname, its possible origin (from Lambert), as well as deployment of Lempek people living in today's Poland: Działdowo, Iława, Ostróda (territory which for a long time belonged to Prussia and before that to the GermanTeutonic Knights - click here for map of Poland territory in 19th century: http://forum.polishorigins.com/files/map_polish_territory_in_19_century_437.jpg ) may suggest that Lempek were of German origins. On the other side, surname ones bear not necessary is the only and clear-cut determinant of ones origin. Here: http://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?t=59 can be found a few examples of Silesian surnames and their feelings about their national identity.

billymatt wrote:
And is Dziadlowo the same as Dlutowo.

No, but they are located very close, about ten miles, one from another. Click here for a map: http://tr.im/pitD

billymatt wrote:
One again thanks for all your Help and Have A happy Fathers day

My pleasure and thank you for the wishes Smile . Here in Poland we celebrate Father's day on June 23rd Smile.

Last edited by Zenon on Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Send e-mail
billymatt

Post Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:36 pm      Post subject:

Thank's that information really helps Me a lot. Because I had been researching a totally different Dlutowo the one just below plon'sk near Kimemcia because my Great-Grandfather had listed Plock as the biggest
city Near his hometown when He came to America. So I had been researching the Dlutowo in Plock Plon'sk region. This will really help me because I was way off course. As for how you mention the Prussians
that sounds a little familiar becuase my Grandfather used talk about how
the Prussians had something to do with the region His father came from
when He would explain the family history but nobody quite understood what He ment. However He only spoke Polish no German. Just one more
thing? Were'nt the Prussians Originally Lithuanians?

Well thanks again for all your time and help. Much appreciated...
Zenon

Post Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:22 am      Post subject:

billymatt wrote:
Thank's that information really helps Me a lot. Because I had been researching a totally different Dlutowo the one just below plon'sk near Kimemcia because my Great-Grandfather had listed Plock as the biggest
city Near his hometown when He came to America. So I had been researching the Dlutowo in Plock Plon'sk region. This will really help me because I was way off course.

Well, the two biggest towns in the neighborhood of this Dłutowo are Olsztyn (in German - Allenstein, about 100 kilometers) and Plock (about 98 kilometers). The Dłutowo was located just on the Prussia/Russia border then, there was a seat of parish and the village belonged to Mława county. In State Archives in Plock and Mława branches there are plenty of records from this parish, click here for database results: http://tr.im/pPwM .

Now, if you want to continue your research I (as usual) highly recommend you article written by James : "Remote" research in Polish State Archives - practical hints..

You can also always ask for advice here Smile .

billymatt wrote:
Were'nt the Prussians Originally Lithuanians?

No, they were of German origins. They were "invited" to the old Polish lands in 1226 as Teutonic Knights by Polish Duke Konrad I of Masovia. You can read more about them in Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teutonic_Knights and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teutonic_State
Send e-mail
billymatt

Post Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:22 am      Post subject:

Wow... Thanks again Zenon. This gets more interesting as I go along.
Well today I guess I'm going to go over to the local LDS library closest to were I live and order the microfilms for Dlutowo Dzialdowo region and
start the hunt there as well I will probably oder a couple from Kuczbork
region as well. Because I have seen a listing on the internet that
showed a listing of death year 1847 in Kuzcbork region of someone by the same first and last name as My Great -Grandfather that person may be one of my great greats.... and may be were my Great-Grandfather was born if I don't find Him in Dlutowo records.. Because it was His son and daughter that I know for sure were born Dlutowo. And it may possibly be that my He was born in Kuczbork and moved to Dlutowo when He got older and had family... Well who knows???

I'll keep you informed
Zenon

Post Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:24 am      Post subject:

Let us know about your research progress Exclamation
Send e-mail
billymatt

Post Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:37 am      Post subject:

I most definitely will...
billymatt

Post Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:58 pm      Post subject: LDS microfilms its all Latin to Me

Well I'm back. I just got my microfilms from the LDS center they came in yesterday I had chance to view them last night and today. I viewed the
Dlutowo films first and had mixed luck I found few people by my surname but can't seem to put them in place. I found one person by the same first and last name as my great grandfather but He seems ten years
to old to be Him. Everything seems to be in latin from what I can see. And
nothing seems to be crossed referenced. The copies I made did'nt come out very well. Because of the poor qaulity of some of the records. However the Kuczbork records seemed to be very nicely printed but still
in latin. Well I guess it's going to be a tough battle from here. If I could just find a way to cross reference the Dlutowo records better it probably would'nt be so difficult..
Zenon

Post Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:20 am      Post subject: Re: LDS microfilms its all Latin to Me

billymatt wrote:
I found one person by the same first and last name as my great grandfather but He seems ten years
to old to be Him.

From what kind source do you have information about birth date of your great grandfather? Are there any other Lempek families in that time in the books? It happens that the information/dates for birth put in e.g. death records are not very precise. If there are no other footholds I would try to find for example marriage record of the Lempek (about 16 years after his birth).

billymatt wrote:
Everything seems to be in latin from what I can see. And
nothing seems to be crossed referenced. The copies I made did'nt come out very well. Because of the poor qaulity of some of the records. However the Kuczbork records seemed to be very nicely printed but still
in latin. Well I guess it's going to be a tough battle from here. If I could just find a way to cross reference the Dlutowo records better it probably would'nt be so difficult..

If you want try to upload here scans of the records you have problem to decipher. Maybe together we will manage here with that.
Send e-mail
billymatt

Post Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:11 pm      Post subject:

Ok I'll see if maybe I can try to scan the copies I made then upload them.
As far as what I know about the date of birth of my great grandfather.
The ellis island records have him listed as being 22 years of age when he
arrived in port of New York USA and I believe the Hamburg records did as well so I calculated from that being my best source. He arrived in the 1893 so 22 from 1893 leaves 1870 as a possible year for birth
but also give or take depending on the month He was born in maybe 1869 or 1871 unless someone made a mistake or He lied about His age for some reason. THE Adam Lempek I found in the LDS records was born
in either 1862 or 1863 from what I could decipher it was unclear.
However when I read my read His obituarie it it stated that He 54 yrs old
at time of death and that was in the year 1919 so that would put Him
being born in the year 1865 if that was correct. But I think that may Have been a mistake I'm not sure. But my family does have a history of looking a lot younger than are age because people used to tell me I looked like i was 8yrs old when I was 14 many years years ago.. So maybe they made a mistake and thought He was 22 when He probably more like 33 well who knows.. One more thing. You mensioned to look for a marriage record 16 yrs after date of birth. Was it typical for polish men to get married at age 16 during that time period?
Zenon

Post Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:25 am      Post subject:

billymatt wrote:
You mensioned to look for a marriage record 16 yrs after date of birth. Was it typical for polish men to get married at age 16 during that time period?

No, it wasn't typical, but it happened (permission of parents was necessary then). That's why in search of marriage if I don't have any other hints, I start from the year which is 16 years after ones birth to be sure to not to miss the marriage record.
Send e-mail
billymatt

Post Posted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:53 pm      Post subject: I'm Back

Hey Zenon Dzien dobry... Sorry to have kept you waiting so long but I've
been very buisy with work . I've scanned those documents that I found on the LDS records like you requested and I'm going to paste them so you can view them. I tried to look for a marriage record like you said 16 years after birth but found nothing. The records in that district were in poor condition as you will see. So it was kind of hard to search. I'm pasteing a copy of letter that I've received from a polish archive I
was wondering if you could possibly translate it and tell me what the are
asking me to do if possible. Once again I thank you for all you time and help....
billymatt

Post Posted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:15 pm      Post subject:

Sorry about that I tried to send them but this website does'nt seem to allow my file extesion size... maybe you know anther way I could send them or attach then?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Origins of surnames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next Page 1 of 2

Jump to: