PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 20

Post Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:50 pm      Post subject: Can anyone help me locate this village/town/city?

I am requesting assistance in locating the place indicated on the attached WWI draft registration.

Novedark, Molinsa or Mobinsa, Austria?

Wicioh WWI Draft Card.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  219.1 KB
 Viewed:  4981 Time(s)

Wicioh WWI Draft Card.jpg

Elzbieta Porteneuve
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 3098

Post Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:01 am      Post subject: Re: Can anyone help me locate this village/town/city?

Tjleszcz wrote:
I am requesting assistance in locating the place indicated on the attached WWI draft registration.

Hi,

No "V" letter in Polish, so the random try (nothing else is possible) is Nowy Targ.

What is M? Nowy Targ is in Małopolskie voivodship, or Małopolska.
Going from that M-o-s-a to Małopolska is as random as the first word and Nowy Targ.

Austria is Austian Empire, that is OK (and Nowy Targ was in Austrian Empire).

Wicioh does not exist as Polish name. The full name looks like Joz Wicioh, which let me think the scibe was cuting half word everywhere. Joz should be Jozef. But Wi?

Sorry.
Best,
Elzbieta
TadWysocki

Replies: 70

Post Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:03 am      Post subject:

All places and names are given phonetically and... shortened, let's try to read it with old Polish eyes, sorry if the path is wrong:

Maybe living people in the present-day Poland can help? In this Nowy Targ we can find nowadays:
Anna Wiercioch
Elzbieta Wiercioch
Kazimierz Wiercioch
Maria Wiercioch
etc.

Thus we can suppose the full family name is: Jozef Wiercioch

The family name Wiercioch is noted with Polish etymological works, it derived directly from Polish language and verbs "wiercić", old Polish "wiercieć', thus the roots are cognominal. The surname Wiercioch is noted in Poland from the year 1603.

Family origin: Nowy Targ/area, south Poland, the heart of Polish Podhale and Polish Gorals - Highlanders culture, customs, and history, here is the link to Polish Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nowy_Targ

Do hope it will help.

Good luck in your search and life,
Tad
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2783

Post Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:46 am      Post subject:

I have a research suggestion for you. Since the record states that he declared his intention to become a naturalized citizen (filled his "first papers') the chances are good that he did become naturalized. If you can find him on a naturalization index you should be able to locate the repository where his naturalization papers are stored. Those papers should name his place of origin much more clearly. If you found him in either the 1910 or 1920 Federal Censuses you should be able to get a better handle on his immigration & naturalization data. I presume that he is a direct ancestor of yours so I'm sure you know the more correct spelling of his surname so the name is probably not an issue for you. The other place to search for a more correct version of his place of origin would be the Ellis Island site.

Best of luck to you.

Dave
rsowa
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 177

Post Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:02 pm      Post subject:

Dave...you are right about the naturalization...the Declaration of Intent normally includes a LOT of good information. However, I found that of all my relations that filed a Declaration of Intent, only about half of them actually followed through and became naturalized. In fact, one fellow filed his Declaration twice...they were only good for (I think) seven years before the expired.

Richard
Ute
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 593

Post Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:00 am      Post subject: Re: Can anyone help me locate this village/town/city?

Tjleszcz wrote:

Nowy Targ is also my first guess. Wierzioch (Wierczioch) is an old Podhale name that was noted as early as 1607 in Nowy Targ according to Jozef Bubak's book on the history of surnames in the Nowy Targ district. An entry was made in the year 1934 in Ksiega sadu wojtowskiego lawnieczego miasta Nowego Targo, Archivum Powiatowe w Nowyn Targo (which I think is referring to a court book).
Tjleszcz

Replies: 20

Post Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:28 pm      Post subject:

I thank everyone for their help with my question. I look forward to any other responses as well. I have requested the naturalization papers and they should be here soon. I am hoping they will add to what I already have learned.

I would like to find information about his family in Poland, his parents, brothers, sisters, grandparents, etc. but have not been able to locate any records. I would also like to find out if there are any living relatives, as well.

Any suggestions? I have been I have checked just about every site I can find from Ancestry.com to family search, to a few in Poland (Basia, etc.). I am open to any suggestions. I would really like to find him in Nowy Targ.

Again, I thank everyone for their time and suggestions. I am new to this as I only started researching about 4-5 months ago.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Villages and towns of our ancestors' origins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: