PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 88

Post Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:22 pm      Post subject: Zagura/Zagora/Zadora

My great-grandfather Konstanty Osiecki lived in the Luslawice area. He had either a step-brother or half-brother named Ignacy/Ignatz Zagura or Zadura or Zagora. I've seen his name spelled many different ways. This brother left Galicia for the United States in the early part of the 20th century. I need help solving the mystery of this brother. Thanks!
Zenon
PolishOrigins Team Leader

Replies: 1515

Post Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:24 am      Post subject:

Lisa,

Zagóra means literally "beyond/past/behind (za) the mountain (góra)".

As you can see on the map: https://nazwiska-polskie.pl/Zag%C3%B3ra there are no Zagóra people living in Tarnow county where Lusławice belong or in any neighboring area.

However, if you enter Zadora https://nazwiska-polskie.pl/Zadora you will see that there are many of them, especially in mountain areas (red places).

And Zadora is a personal name noted as early as 1387, also Zadora coat of arms. Root of the name is from Polish drzeć, "tear, rend".

Sources
Send e-mail
Lisa

Post Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:30 am      Post subject: Zagora/Zagura/Zadora

Hi,

Thanks for the info. I'm not sure which spelling applies! It is, though, interesting information : )

Lisa
Shellie
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 1000

Post Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:07 am      Post subject: Zadora coat of arms

Your reply about the Zagora surname came at the same time I discovered the Zadora coat of arms online.

This is the coat of arms of the Lanckoronski family who owned the manor house at Luslawice.

http://www.poland.pl/archives/ww1/article,,id,284221.htm
Lisa

Post Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:01 pm      Post subject:

Interesting! I'm finding all the information I'm receiving fascinating! Actually, the more I learn, the more confused I get - easy for me!

My great-uncle Freddie - Konstanty's youngest son - always referred to his father's step/half brother as "Zagura". Since then I've seen it spelled "Zagura", "Zagora", "Zadora", and Ellis Island had him listed as "Zagova". It's hard to figure out how he's related to Konstanty when I'm not even sure what his true last name is!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Origins of surnames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: