PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 117

Post Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:03 am      Post subject: NEW Database - Toruń Archives

For those who haven't read this post here: http://polishorigins.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2327

The Toruń Archives has published a new website full of documents from their archives.
They are still managing to upload more!

The Toruń archives + the Bydgoszcz archives comprehend most of the Kuyavan-Pomeranian Voivodeship documents.

This is the NEW database: http://genealogiawarchiwach.pl

This is the Toruń archives website: http://www.torun.ap.gov.pl/

This is the Bydgoszcz archives website: http://www.bydgoszcz.ap.gov.pl

I hope this helps!

Maybe later I will write all the cities and towns that are part of this archives.

I think this post should be used for questions and tips related to this NEW website.
tkowalska
PolishOrigins Patron

Replies: 51

Post Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:58 am      Post subject: Re: NEW Database - Toruń Archives

Philip wrote:
For those who haven't read this post here: http://polishorigins.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2327

This is the NEW database: http://genealogiawarchiwach.pl

I think this post should be used for questions and tips related to this NEW website.

I read the the post under the previous topic asking for ideas about how to save images from this database. Until someone figures out a more sophisticated solution, researchers can make a JPG image of anything they see on a computer screen by using the Microsoft Windows "snipping tool" -- you just draw a box around the part of your screen you want to capture, and save it as a JPG. It is very easy and effective to use and should come with any computer that runs Windows 7 or later (it's in Programs in the Accessories folder): http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/use-snipping-tool-capture-screen-shots#1TC=windows-7
Philip
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:06 am      Post subject: Re: NEW Database - Toruń Archives

tkowalska wrote:

I read the the post under the previous topic asking for ideas about how to save images from this database. Until someone figures out a more sophisticated solution, researchers can make a JPG image of anything they see on a computer screen by using the Microsoft Windows "snipping tool" -- you just draw a box around the part of your screen you want to capture, and save it as a JPG. It is very easy and effective to use and should come with any computer that runs Windows 7 or later (it's in Programs in the Accessories folder): http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/use-snipping-tool-capture-screen-shots#1TC=windows-7

Thanks for remembering this method.
Howrver I was wondering abou a "conventional" and regolar way to download the docs, as the Polish State Archives provide! The problem of tje snipping tool and for Mac users (CMD+alt+3) don't provide high res. images.
But still it's the only way to obtain, save and share the documents!
tkowalska
PolishOrigins Patron

Post Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:16 am      Post subject: Re: NEW Database - Toruń Archives

[quote="Philip"]
tkowalska wrote:
Thanks for remembering this method.
Howrver I was wondering abou a "conventional" and regolar way to download the docs, as the Polish State Archives provide! The problem of tje snipping tool and for Mac users (CMD+alt+3) don't provide high res. images.
But still it's the only way to obtain, save and share the documents!

Good point--I wish I knew, but hopefully someone with more tech expertise will be able to come up with an idea. I agree, it's a shame they didn't make the files easy to download and access like the Mława archives. And I don't know why in most archives the index pages aren't always separately identified when scanning--they should be marked with a star or something so they can be identified quickly. Maybe when users of the new archive find the handwritten index pages they can save those images (even poor images) to share with others to save everyone time . . . .
Philip
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:33 am      Post subject: Re: NEW Database - Toruń Archives

Quote:

Good point--I wish I knew, but hopefully someone with more tech expertise will be able to come up with an idea. I agree, it's a shame they didn't make the files easy to download and access like the Mława archives. And I don't know why in most archives the index pages aren't always separately identified when scanning--they should be marked with a star or something so they can be identified quickly. Maybe when users of the new archive find the handwritten index pages they can save those images (even poor images) to share with others to save everyone time . . . .

I completely agree with you! But it seems all the work is concentrated on the contents rather than to the experience (usage)! Anyway, in this case I think the documents and their history are more important than everything else!

Last edited by Philip on Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:57 am; edited 1 time in total
jdupon

Replies: 25

Post Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:58 pm      Post subject:

I am very grateful for the new records now availabla online but am curious about the choices of which records are chosen and the order in which they are made available. For example, I located Mokowo records for 1908, Lipno records for 1853 and Zaduszniki for 1830. All are interesting to my research but is there a plan for future offerings?
Visit poster's website
Philip
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:07 pm      Post subject:

jdupon wrote:
I am very grateful for the new records now availabla online but am curious about the choices of which records are chosen and the order in which they are made available. For example, I located Mokowo records for 1908, Lipno records for 1853 and Zaduszniki for 1830. All are interesting to my research but is there a plan for future offerings?

I think they're going to publish more docs in the future.
Since the website has been released, I've noticed the uploads have increased on the main page.
tkowalska
PolishOrigins Patron

Post Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:06 am      Post subject: Re: NEW Database - Toruń Archives

Philip wrote:
I completely agree with you! But it seems all the work is concentrated on the contents rather than to the experience (usage)! Anyway, in this case I think the documents and their history are more important than the everything else!

True--we are lucky to have them at all. The digitization going on in Poland is just wonderful.

Note to other readers interested in the Torun database: It doesn't look like all the records for Zielona parish are uploaded yet, but if anyone starts locating and saving even poor, but legible captures of the annual index pages from the Zielona metryka books, I would be grateful to see those images.
Cmstanley
PolishOrigins Patron

Replies: 67

Post Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:24 pm      Post subject:

Is there any way to get a list of the towns that are included in each database?
tkowalska
PolishOrigins Patron

Post Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:14 pm      Post subject:

Cmstanley wrote:
Is there any way to get a list of the towns that are included in each database?
For the new Toruń archive, if you go to the main page for their genealogy project (http://genealogiawarchiwach.pl/), there is a thin, dark bar you can press lower on the page--it says "browse collected resources." That takes you to a page that has a drop-down menu for various levels of community--town, village, etc., and one can peruse the names by continuing to drop down through the alphabet.

As for the Poczekalnia site, which includes the Mława archive scans, they have a nice, simple, file-directory structure. Each archive location is listed here: http://poczekalnia.genealodzy.pl/pliki/, and clicking on the archive name, such as Mława, yields all the parish/town names in a list.
Cmstanley
PolishOrigins Patron

Replies: 67

Post Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:29 am      Post subject:

Thank you, I see it now!
Magroski49
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 1762

Post Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:20 pm      Post subject:

Hello, everyone!

I eagerly waited almost two years to see this project become available online and now I must say I am very disappointed with the results. However, I would like to hear the opinion of other members about some issues I have faced.

1. In the main page there is a statement that anyone is welcome to indexing their records. I have sent a message to [email protected] and never got any response. Did anyone else here volunteered? What was their answer, if any?
2. I have also detected some errors. For instance, birth records in Grabkowo. The title states the year 1902, but the records are of 1903; the title states 1903, but the records are of 1904. Did anyone ask them how to report about errors found?
3. As an example, I have chosen to view birth records for 1876 in Ostrowo, gmina Kruszwica. I then selected each of the boxes with the information requested.
4. The image attached (APT 01) appears. About 3 minutes later, one of the images is uploaded. I then click on it and now it appears the image attached (APT 02), in blank.
5. If I click on the ‘plus’ sign of the vertical bar, it starts displaying all the 169 frames, in ordinal number (though it took about 10 minutes to upload all images).
6. If I click on the ‘plus’ sign of the horizontal bar, it starts displaying some images. (APT 03) However, they are not displayed in ordinal number. On my screen it starts in 140 to 170, then 34, then 2 to 9….and nothing else.
7. Does anyone know what is the purpose of displaying the same images in vertical and horizontal way? What is the difference, if any?
8. I then selected an image and it took about 3 minutes to become visible and more 2 minutes to become completely legible. By the way, my internet speed allows me to view any image from Metryki, Poczekalnia or ZoSIA in less than 10 seconds.
9. Some images do not upload at all, no matter how long I wait, or how many times I click on them, or refresh the page, or use Firefox or Google Chrome.

Gilberto

APT 01.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  136.79 KB
 Viewed:  13373 Time(s)

APT 01.jpg

APT 02.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  44.05 KB

APT 02.jpg

APT 03.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  139.2 KB

APT 03.jpg

Send e-mail
Philip
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:01 am      Post subject:

Quote:
Hello, everyone!
I eagerly waited almost two years to see this project become available online and now I must say I am very disappointed with the results. However, I would like to hear the opinion of other members about some issues I have faced.
Gilberto

Hi Gilberto,

It seems you're not the only one who has problem with it.

About your interest in indexing the docs:
it seems it's necessary to register before adding infos, BUT once you register, receive the email, the page doesn't work and you're not fully permitted!

Maybe they will open this service in some months, I hope so.

Philip

PS. You could contact the Torun Archives directly, they also manage this project.
Magroski49
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 1762

Post Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:56 am      Post subject:

Hi,

www.genealogiawarchiwach.pl is displaying a message "Trwaja prace optymalizacyjne". So, it must work fine soon.

Gilberto
Send e-mail
dsherry

Replies: 49

Post Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:49 pm      Post subject:

Some of the Torun records have been indexed here:
http://www.szpejankowski.eu/index.php/metryki-wykazy-osob/102.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research Resources, Tools & Tips All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next Page 1 of 2

Jump to: