PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 1

Post Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:56 pm      Post subject: Do I have Polish ancestors?

So I am of German descent and my ancestors came from Plathe an der Rega, Witzmitz and 'of Tonnebuhr'. Surnames are: Daberkow, Ehmke, Zirwen, Grunmann, Hoppnow and Kiehn.

I have heard that last names that end in -ow have Slavic origins. And also last names that end in -ke. The last name Grunmann means Green man in English and supposedly my ancestors changed their name from Zielinski to Grunmann. I am wondering if that sounds true or not.

I have heard that most ethnically German people from Pomerania have certain DNA which indicates Slavic ancestry. I have heard that most Germans from this part of the world descend partly from Germanized Slavs.
rsowa
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 177

Post Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:00 pm      Post subject:

I can't answer your questions, but according to Wikipedia, Plathe an der Rega is Płoty in modern day Poland. Similarly Witzmitz is Wicimice in modern Poland. Before 1945 both towns were part of the German Province of Pomerania. However, the Polish border was very close, and I am sure there were a lot of blending of ethnic German and Polish families in the area. In fact, while ethnically Polish, my great grandmother told the story that her family had been "Pomeranian". Following World War II Polish borders were extended west, and the native German populace was expelled and replaced by Poles.
ossnhughie
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 354

Post Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:39 pm      Post subject: Rudolf nice to meet you

Rudolf,

I know the feeling of being curious of my own diverse ethnic past. I always thought that I had strictly Polish ancestry on my maternal grandfathers side, however new evidence supports the real possibility of having Lithuanian and even Ruthenian ancestors. Poland and Eastern Europe in general have such a chaotic history that there are probably very few "purebred" folks. My ancestors for instance are from the Eastern borderlands and it has been a very eye opening experience looking into it, it is so interesting. I can only imagine the diversity of the borderlands in the west of Poland.

Best of luck in your research my friend.

Hugh

Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Other topics related to Poland and Polish roots All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: