PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 164

Post Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:32 am      Post subject: Location of Lubawa

I found a delayed birth certificate that might lead to some clues about one of my GG grand parents origin. I'm trying to figure out what area to start searching for Lubawa, more specifically, Lonkos and Lipinki, that are listed as the areas of birth of the parents. I'm fairly certain that Helen was my GG grandmother's sister. The photo was too large so I posted the link to WVculture. After Frank Dombrowski died in 1933, Helen remarried at 67 in 1939 to Joseph Machnik, which is the name she gave when the delayed birth certificate was filed, around 1940 I figure. Oddly when she died in 1947, her parents were listed as Frank Mangnske and Mary, which matches my GG grandmother's information. Not sure where the name Lenikowski she gave on the birth certificate comes in though.

http://www.wvculture.org/vrr/va_view.aspx?Id=3323999&Type=Birth

Anyways, the location of the villages is where I'm going to start, looking for a Frank Mengnski and Mary(Lucy might be first name according to 1939 marriage, and Kubylski might be the maiden name) having 2 daughters, Helen in 1872 and Mary in 1883. Also found voyage record from 1892 line 28 that lines up and has WV as destination. Ancestry listed the last residence as Lovkosh, but I'm sure that is right or even close. All this because my uncle mailed my great grandmother's wedding photo from 1916 that had 3 of her cousins named "Dombeck" written in by my grandmother years back. They are Helen's children. The only thing I can figure is Helen was married before Frank to someone named Lenikowski...her sister Mary married 4 times, including one in her 60's like her sister.
Any help would be appreciated.
John

IMG_0134.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  672.29 KB
 Viewed:  12059 Time(s)

IMG_0134.JPG

Franz and Helen Dombrowski voyage 1892.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  398.98 KB

Franz and Helen Dombrowski voyage 1892.jpg

Helen Mengenski death 1947.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  122.26 KB

Helen Mengenski death 1947.gif

Magroski49
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 1762

Post Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:21 am      Post subject: Re: Location of Lubawa

starkey76 wrote:
I found a delayed birth certificate that might lead to some clues about one of my GG grand parents origin. I'm trying to figure out what area to start searching for Lubawa, more specifically, Lonkos and Lipinki, that are listed as the areas of birth of the parents. I'm fairly certain that Helen was my GG grandmother's sister. The photo was too large so I posted the link to WVculture. After Frank Dombrowski died in 1933, Helen remarried at 67 in 1939 to Joseph Machnik, which is the name she gave when the delayed birth certificate was filed, around 1940 I figure. Oddly when she died in 1947, her parents were listed as Frank Mangnske and Mary, which matches my GG grandmother's information. Not sure where the name Lenikowski she gave on the birth certificate comes in though.

http://www.wvculture.org/vrr/va_view.aspx?Id=3323999&Type=Birth

Anyways, the location of the villages is where I'm going to start, looking for a Frank Mengnski and Mary(Lucy might be first name according to 1939 marriage, and Kubylski might be the maiden name) having 2 daughters, Helen in 1872 and Mary in 1883. Also found voyage record from 1892 line 28 that lines up and has WV as destination. Ancestry listed the last residence as Lovkosh, but I'm sure that is right or even close. All this because my uncle mailed my great grandmother's wedding photo from 1916 that had 3 of her cousins named "Dombeck" written in by my grandmother years back. They are Helen's children. The only thing I can figure is Helen was married before Frank to someone named Lenikowski...her sister Mary married 4 times, including one in her 60's like her sister.
Any help would be appreciated.
John

John,

Lipinki, Lubawa and Ląkorz. Map attached.
Additional info: both Lipinki and Lakorz are available at www.genealogiawarchiwach.pl
However, birth records start 1874 on, so you will find Mary but not Helen.

Gilberto

Lipinki.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  322.79 KB

Lipinki.jpg

Send e-mail
starkey76

Replies: 164

Post Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:15 pm      Post subject:

Thank you Gilberto. Should I assume that if I use Geneteka, that the area I focus on then is Warminsko-Mazurskie? Or would that town overlap into another area? I'm trying to mess around with that site you mentioned, but am struggling a bit.
Thanks again
John
Magroski49
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 1762

Post Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:43 pm      Post subject:

starkey76 wrote:
Thank you Gilberto. Should I assume that if I use Geneteka, that the area I focus on then is Warminsko-Mazurskie? Or would that town overlap into another area? I'm trying to mess around with that site you mentioned, but am struggling a bit.
Thanks again
John

John,

Yes, it is WM area, though those two places are not indexed in Geneteka. The AP Torun site was down to maintenance this morning.

Gilberto
Send e-mail
Tina Ellis

Replies: 74

Post Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:57 pm      Post subject:

I just noticed the word Lubawa. This village/parish is now located in Lithuania. It's name is now Lubavas. The church burned to the ground after WW II in 1946. It was not one of the churches bombed during the war. All records were destroyed. The current priest does not speak Polish or English.

I learned all of this during a visit to the area in 2006 with my cousin. Her grandfather lived in Polimonie. We found someone named Zajkowski in that village, and went to visit them. We learned they were not the same family, but a relative of this other family, who was in her 90's told us where they used to live and took us to the location. Lubavas was sometimes too hard to get to in the winter so they used to go to the church in Wizajny when the weather was very bad. I have found records in this church for some of my other families who had the parish in Lubavas.

You only hope of getting any records for Lubavas would be possibly the Lithuanian State Archives in Vilnius, the capitol of Lithuania.

Hope this helps you. One more thing: if whoever you are trying to find is male, remember that people of the Catholic faith normally marry in the brides parish, not the grooms parish.

Tina Ellis
Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Villages and towns of our ancestors' origins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: