PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 29

Post Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:41 am      Post subject: Joseph Seklecki

I'm trying to find more information on this ancestor...it's the only I for I found for the parents of Michael Seklecki who died in 1944 which I found on the Illinois death index
Name Joseph Seklecki
Birthplace Sagowiki, Poland
Gender Male
Wife UNKNOWN
Son Michael Seklecki

If you could help me find any info that would be great.
Thanks,Lisa Kocanda
mcdonald0517
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 961

Post Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:51 pm      Post subject:

Hi Lisa,

Before looking for Polish records, I searched for records in the US and found these:

First, I found a 1920 census for Michal Seklicki (of course they spell it wrong) age 40, married to Catharine age 33. they were living at the time in Detroit, Wayne, Michigan. They had 4 children: Marya 12, Balreina 11, Sronislawa 8, and Felix 5. It says Michael immigrated to the US in 1903 from Russian Poland. I also found 1940 census records for their son, Felix Sicklecki (spelled wrong again) who was living in Cook County, IL. at the time (the same place Michael died in 1944).

Then I searched for his immigration in 1903, and found a NY passenger list for Michael:

Name: Michael Sicklecki
Arrival Date: 2 Jan 1903
Birth Date: abt 1881
Ethnicity/ Nationality: Russian
Port of Departure: Bremen
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Neckar
Birth location: Lagiew??ki (note that written in the passenger list, it looks like Sagowiki, but in fact, it is could be Łagiewniki - see below)

Then, I searched for Łagiewniki in the Russian (now Masovian Province) and found this:

Łagiewniki [waɡʲɛvˈniki] is a village in the administrative district of Gmina Bodzanów, within Płock County, Masovian Voivodeship, in east-central Poland.

I am attaching the passenger list so you can see it. His entry is line #24.

If you think these documents (1920 census and passenger list) are in fact your Michael, then next step is to see if the records for this village are available online.
I will check some databases and post again.

Finally, I suggest you post in the Surnames forum to ask for help in identifying the Polish spelling of your family surname. I can tell by how many times it was mis-spelled in US documents that the version you are working with now is far from the original Polish. You will need to know that before trying to search for records in Poland.

Best,
Cynthia

NYT715_316-0167.jpg
 Description:
Passenger list for Michael Sicklecki
 Filesize:  897.18 KB
 Viewed:  5388 Time(s)

NYT715_316-0167.jpg

Send e-mail
lkocanda

Replies: 29

Post Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:11 pm      Post subject:

Thanks for the hel...can you tell if he was coming to see a relative and who or where in the U.S.
mcdonald0517

Replies: 961

Post Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:19 pm      Post subject:

It says his destination was Pittsburgh, Pa to see brother in law but I can't make out the name. Perhaps someone else who is more accustomed to reading these passenger lists can make it out. If you don't get a reply in this thread, I suggest you post the image as a separate request asking for help reading line #24.

Cynthia
Send e-mail
Magroski49

Replies: 1762

Post Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:07 pm      Post subject:

Lisa and Cynthia

I read his surname, in the manifest, as Sieklecki. According to www.herby.com.pl there are:
Sieklecki
Siklecki
Sieklicki
Siklicki

I also agree is Lagiewninki....but there are 35 with that name. At least half a dozen in what was Russia-Poland.

His b-i-l name Jozef Brzeznas??. Deciphering it may take us to the correct Lagiewniki.

Gilberto
Send e-mail
PolishLibrarian
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 311

Post Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:55 pm      Post subject:

I agree with Gilberto and see Sieklecki. In www.Moikrewni.pl./mapa the surname Sieklecki shows only 6 people in Poland, 3 in the city of Płock and 3 in the city of Słupsk which is in the northernmost part of Poland almost on the Baltic. The spelling Sieklicki has 245 listings, with the most in Rypin and the surrounding powiats which neighbor Płock to the north. Since Cynthia found a Łagiewniki very near Płock, this might be a good place to start, if there are records online for here.

Since Michael is single, if Jozef is his brother-in-law, then Jozef is married to Michael's sister.

On Jozef's name, it's hard to tell if there are additional letters after the line defining the column or if that is bleed through from the reverse page. If it's not bleed through, then I would say the name is Brzezinski (as in Zbigniew, former US National Security Advisor). The letters after the second z appear to be similar to the last two letters of the name Antoni, 2 lines below Jozef. If other agree on Jozef's surname, you could try to find his ship manifest to see where he came from.

If the surname is this unusual, I think it will help your search. Best of luck. ~PL
PolishLibrarian
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 311

Post Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:55 am      Post subject:

Lisa~ I found this marriage record on Ancestry. If this is the correct family, then it gives Michael's father's name as Szczepan (aka Stefan) (more likely correct as Michael provided it in 1906, as compared to the death record info. provided by his wife or child in 1944) and mother T. Zosada. Also a lead – the priest who married them is listed as P. Kiernj. I believe this was copied wrong from a handwritten document, as I found a priest Feliks Kieruj who was the pastor at the St. Francis D'Assisi Church (4th Polish Catholic church established in Detroit) from 1898-1919. You could try to get an image of the church marriage record which to see the handwriting for his mother's surname & his birth town in Poland by either contacting the church http://stfrancis-sthedwig.org/StFrancis/Genealogy.htm or using the microfilm of the church records prior to 1944 (see the web address provided for further info.) ~PL

Seklecki.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  552.12 KB
 Viewed:  5388 Time(s)

Seklecki.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> In search of relatives / Poszukiwani krewni All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: