PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
German records translations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 93, 94, 95  Next
Author

Replies: 4

Post Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:57 am      Post subject: Stefan Malinowski

Seeking information on Stefan Malinowski . Stefan"s birthplace was Laznowek in Poland. He had two sisters and a brother. He had a forced exit from Poland arriving in Germany in 1943. He was born 29/8/25 and died in August 1964 aged 38 years . His burial plot is at the Mount Gambier Cemetery South Australia
Send e-mail
mcdonald0517
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 960

Post Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:20 pm      Post subject:

Hello Michael,

When you have the time, can you please help with the translation of the attached 1761 death record for an "unknown" female Radziminska. I can't make out her given name in the record; it almost looks like "frau" or "fraul" abbreviated. I can see that she was from Frankenau, and I see the date of death as 26 May, and I see she was 20 years old. That is all I can make out. The record is on the right hand side of the page and begins on the third line.

As always, I greatly appreciate your help. I have a couple other records I found as well, but I will post them separately.

Thank you!
Cynthia

1761 Female Radziminska death.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  1761 Female Radziminska death.pdf
 Filesize:  1.16 MB
 Downloaded:  278 Time(s)

Send e-mail
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:39 pm      Post subject:

Hello again, Michael,

Attached are two death records I found for the Radzyminski family; both were recorded in the parish book under the year 1800. One of them is for Jacob V. Radziminski and the other one, which was actually recorded on the same page as his, is for Eva V. Radziminski geb. V. Barska.

Here is my puzzle:

Jacob and Eva married in 1756 in Frankenau (I have that record, and you recently translated it for me).

The records attached for Jacob and Eva's deaths were both recorded in the Gmina Janowo parish book for the year 1800, BUT....

I also found a separate death record in Family Search for Eva Radzyminska with a different death date - 1796 (not 1800). But, there was no image of the record; just an index. I think this is the same Eva because the ages and location of death are the same. Just the year is different.

I also found a second marriage record for Jacob V. Radzyminski in family search dated 1797; also no image available. It seems he remarried after Eva's death, but then he died several years later in 1800.

Is it possible that when Jacob died and he was buried in Janowo, that the parish recorded both deaths (Jacob and Eva) even though Eva actually died several years earlier? In these two death records, I think I see that Jacob was buried in Janowo, but Eva was buried in Kozeniec. It is puzzling....

That is what I am hoping you can help me solve by your translation of the records.

Thank you for your generous help!
Best regards,
Cynthia

Eva Radzyminska nee Barska death.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  179.43 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Eva Radzyminska nee Barska death.jpg

1800 Jacob Radzyminski death.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  216.5 KB

1800 Jacob Radzyminski death.jpg

Send e-mail
Kmichael8

Replies: 543

Post Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:36 am      Post subject:

mcdonald0517 wrote:
Hello Michael,

When you have the time, can you please help with the translation of the attached 1761 death record for an "unknown" female Radziminska. I can't make out her given name in the record; it almost looks like "frau" or "fraul" abbreviated. I can see that she was from Frankenau, and I see the date of death as 26 May, and I see she was 20 years old. That is all I can make out. The record is on the right hand side of the page and begins on the third line.

As always, I greatly appreciate your help. I have a couple other records I found as well, but I will post them separately.

Thank you!
Cynthia

Hello Cynthia,

Please find attached the transcription of the death record you provided:

den Frans Radziminska aus Frankenau den 26
May gestorben und in der Kirche begraben xxx
xxx 20 gl [Gulden] Erdgeld 9 gl [Gulden] Glockengeld ddt [dedit].

Frans (short for Franziscus) Radziminska from Frankenau died May 26 and was buried in the church xxx 20 guilders burials fee and 9 guilders chimes or tolling fee were paid.

Although the family name ends with "-ka" I think it's an entry for a male person. I am not sure about the last characters of the second line after “begraben” and the first characters of the third line before “20 gl”. I can see no information about the age of the deceased in Frans’ entry. If you compare Frans’ entry with the others on this page you will see that the burial fees vary between 29 and 39 guilders. It was quite common to differentiate this fee according to the age of the deceased so this might give a hint that Frans died early.

Best
Michael
Kmichael8

Post Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:03 am      Post subject:

mcdonald0517 wrote:
Hello again, Michael,

Attached are two death records I found for the Radzyminski family; both were recorded in the parish book under the year 1800. One of them is for Jacob V. Radziminski and the other one, which was actually recorded on the same page as his, is for Eva V. Radziminski geb. V. Barska.

Here is my puzzle:

Jacob and Eva married in 1756 in Frankenau (I have that record, and you recently translated it for me).

The records attached for Jacob and Eva's deaths were both recorded in the Gmina Janowo parish book for the year 1800, BUT....

I also found a separate death record in Family Search for Eva Radzyminska with a different death date - 1796 (not 1800). But, there was no image of the record; just an index. I think this is the same Eva because the ages and location of death are the same. Just the year is different.

I also found a second marriage record for Jacob V. Radzyminski in family search dated 1797; also no image available. It seems he remarried after Eva's death, but then he died several years later in 1800.

Is it possible that when Jacob died and he was buried in Janowo, that the parish recorded both deaths (Jacob and Eva) even though Eva actually died several years earlier? In these two death records, I think I see that Jacob was buried in Janowo, but Eva was buried in Kozeniec. It is puzzling....

That is what I am hoping you can help me solve by your translation of the records.

Thank you for your generous help!
Best regards,
Cynthia

Hello Cynthia,

Well – let’s start with a transcription and a translation:

The entry for Jacob:

ist der Herr Jacob v[on] Radzimi-
sky den 10ten Novbr. im 80ten
Jahr gestorben, und den 12ten
ejusd[em] in Janowo beerdigt

Jacob von Radziminsky died on November 10th in his 80th year and was buried in Janowo on November 12th.

The entry for Eva:

ist die Eva von Radzimin-
ska geb.[orene] von Burska den
3ten Novbr. [November] gestorben und
den 5ten ejusd[em] begraben wor-
den

Eva von Radzimiska, born von Burska, died on November 3rd and was buried on November 5th.

I would guess the left column gives the place of death as “Kozeniec” and the right column gives the cause of death and I read it as “Alters” witch might be short for “Altersschwäche” or because of old age for the two of them.

To answer your puzzle: Jacob and Eva von Radziminsky died in Kozeniec in November 1800 and were buried in November too. I would not expect a kind of double entry for Eva in 1796 as well as in 1800. What I believe is most probable is that another Jacob von Radziminsky – born around 1727 and maybe even a relative – married another Eva and lived with her in Muschaken. By the way, they got a son, born in 1763, and named him Jacob, too. Eva died in 1796 and Jacob remarried in Muschaken. To proof this you might look for another marriage entry in 1763 or earlier of Jacob von Radziminsky and Eva whose family name is not known yet.

Hope that helps,
Michael
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:03 pm      Post subject:

Hello Michael,

Thank you VERY much for all of your help. It provides valuable clues for me as I search out the Radzyminski family.

I appreciate your suggestion, and I will try and search for a marriage record for 1763 or earlier for another Jacob Radzyminski.

A question for you: in your opinion, do you think the Eva Barksa and Jacob Radziminski from the 1756 marriage record in Frankenau (Skottau parish) you translated for me earlier and the Eva Von Burska and Jacob Von Radziminski from the 1800 death records in Kozieniec (Muschaken parish) are the same people? I have searched from 1731-1817 in the Skottau parish birth, marriage, and death records in the Archion database and found NO other records or mention of Jacob and Eva after their marriage in the Skottau parish. It makes me think perhaps they moved to Muschaken?

My head hurts from trying to understand this puzzle.....

Confused

All the best,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
Kmichael8

Post Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:08 pm      Post subject:

mcdonald0517 wrote:
Hello Michael,

Thank you VERY much for all of your help. It provides valuable clues for me as I search out the Radzyminski family.

I appreciate your suggestion, and I will try and search for a marriage record for 1763 or earlier for another Jacob Radzyminski.

A question for you: in your opinion, do you think the Eva Barksa and Jacob Radziminski from the 1756 marriage record in Frankenau (Skottau parish) you translated for me earlier and the Eva Von Burska and Jacob Von Radziminski from the 1800 death records in Kozieniec (Muschaken parish) are the same people? I have searched from 1731-1817 in the Skottau parish birth, marriage, and death records in the Archion database and found NO other records or mention of Jacob and Eva after their marriage in the Skottau parish. It makes me think perhaps they moved to Muschaken?

My head hurts from trying to understand this puzzle.....

Confused

All the best,
Cynthia

Hello Cynthia,

You're welcome.

If you compare the names, they look very similar. Additionally, in both entries Jacob is from Frankenau. These are strong arguments we are talking about the same people and they might have moved to Muschaken.

There is a “but”.

The main difference between the marriage entry of 1756 and the death entries of 1800 seems to be the “von” that is used only in 1800. It is not mentioned in Jacob’s entry in 1756, although the groom in the following entry is called “von”.

So one question could be, whether Jacob was nobilitated between 1756 and 1800. Another question might be, whether there were other “Jacob Radziminsky” born in or around the 1720ies in Frankenau. And what might also be an option is whether the couple moved to Wiersbau, Kreis Soldau, Eva’s home village.

Best
Michael
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:21 pm      Post subject:

Hello Michael,

Have you ever come across an abbreviation or writing convention for German records that uses the upper case "N." in place of a given name?

I have seen this (not often) in the older records. Attached is one example in which the witnesses (testes) are recorded as:
N. Gutkowska and N. Radziminska

Is this because the scribe did not ask their given names? Does it mean "unknown"? Or could it mean something else. I know it is not the initial of the first name because every other act has the full given name recorded - initials are not used.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Cynthia

what is the N notation for testes.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  what is the N notation for testes.pdf
 Filesize:  1.16 MB
 Downloaded:  246 Time(s)

Send e-mail
Kmichael8

Post Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:35 am      Post subject:

mcdonald0517 wrote:
Hello Michael,

Have you ever come across an abbreviation or writing convention for German records that uses the upper case "N." in place of a given name?

I have seen this (not often) in the older records. Attached is one example in which the witnesses (testes) are recorded as:
N. Gutkowska and N. Radziminska

Is this because the scribe did not ask their given names? Does it mean "unknown"? Or could it mean something else. I know it is not the initial of the first name because every other act has the full given name recorded - initials are not used.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Cynthia

Hello Cynthia,

The example you attached I would read as: H[err] Gustowska v[on] Radziminska.

My experience is that names of men were always written in the way 'given name + family name'. Names of women often too but you will also find many entries were only the given name of a married women was noted. The gentry was characterized with a "v." or "von" in front of the family name. Additionally you might find "H." or "Herr". What can also be found is an "H" or "Hon" for honesti or honest as a kind of generell appreciation.

Best
Michael
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:59 am      Post subject:

Thank you, Michael.

Can you or anyone else monitoring this forum answer this question:

If a family is of noble origins, would written designations such as Herr or V. Or Von only be applied to the oldest living head of the family or would it also be applied to the sons and daughters while the head of the family was still living? For example, if Balzer Radziminski and his wife had sons: Balzer, Jacob, and Michael, would written records use the Herr or Von designations for the sons while their father was still alive? Or, would only the oldest living son inherit the title and therefore the written designation after the father died?

I appreciate your thoughts on this...

All the best,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:31 pm      Post subject: pls translate Radziminski death record

Hello Michael,

I have recently discovered a connection between my Radziminski family in Frankenau (Skottau parish) and the Radziminski family in the Muschaken parish. It seems they are of the same family and it also seems they traveled between the two locations. After gathering as many records as possible from both locations, my working theory is that Balcer (Balzer, Baltazar) Radziminski is the patriarch, i.e., the oldest family member in both locations I have found thus far.

Balcer appears in both Frankenau records and Muschaken records. I even found a death record for Balcer in Muschaken. It is attached. I would greatly appreciate if you could translate this German script for me. I can only make out name and his age of 77. I also see cause of death is old age. I am hoping for small clues in the record that may provide more connections.

My theory is that Balcer had the following sons: Jacob b. 1720 (Frankenau and Muschaken), Simon b. 1731 (Orlau), and Michael b. 1734 (Frankenau and Muschaken).

I also found an entry in a lexicon of Prussian Nobility from 1834 that lists the Radziminski family h. Lubicz and the location/years of their estates and land holdings. The list includes Frankenau and all of the areas around Muschaken I found in the vital records of the family members. Perhaps the sons were given certain estates (Frankenau, Wiersbau, Orlau, Pentzen, Koczienietz, etc.), and they traveled between them on family business. That could be why I am seeing their names on vital records in both Skottau Parish and Muschaken Parish. Also, in my looking through the parish books, I found inconsistencies in the usage of V. or Von - sometimes it is noted and other times not, even for the same person. So, it seems I cannot depend solely on the whims of the scribes.

Again, I appreciate your help in translating this death record when you have the time. It is the second entry on the page.
Best regards,
Cynthia

1779 Balcer Radziminski death 2.jpg
 Description:
1779 death record for Balcer Radziminski
 Filesize:  1.61 MB

1779 Balcer Radziminski death 2.jpg

Send e-mail
Kmichael8

Post Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:43 am      Post subject: Re: pls translate Radziminski death record

mcdonald0517 wrote:
Hello Michael,

I have recently discovered a connection between my Radziminski family in Frankenau (Skottau parish) and the Radziminski family in the Muschaken parish. It seems they are of the same family and it also seems they traveled between the two locations. After gathering as many records as possible from both locations, my working theory is that Balcer (Balzer, Baltazar) Radziminski is the patriarch, i.e., the oldest family member in both locations I have found thus far.

Balcer appears in both Frankenau records and Muschaken records. I even found a death record for Balcer in Muschaken. It is attached. I would greatly appreciate if you could translate this German script for me. I can only make out name and his age of 77. I also see cause of death is old age. I am hoping for small clues in the record that may provide more connections.

My theory is that Balcer had the following sons: Jacob b. 1720 (Frankenau and Muschaken), Simon b. 1731 (Orlau), and Michael b. 1734 (Frankenau and Muschaken).

I also found an entry in a lexicon of Prussian Nobility from 1834 that lists the Radziminski family h. Lubicz and the location/years of their estates and land holdings. The list includes Frankenau and all of the areas around Muschaken I found in the vital records of the family members. Perhaps the sons were given certain estates (Frankenau, Wiersbau, Orlau, Pentzen, Koczienietz, etc.), and they traveled between them on family business. That could be why I am seeing their names on vital records in both Skottau Parish and Muschaken Parish. Also, in my looking through the parish books, I found inconsistencies in the usage of V. or Von - sometimes it is noted and other times not, even for the same person. So, it seems I cannot depend solely on the whims of the scribes.

Again, I appreciate your help in translating this death record when you have the time. It is the second entry on the page.
Best regards,
Cynthia

Hello Cynthia,

That's a fascinating story.

In your entry the first three columns give information about the residence (Rozieniec), the no. (25) and whether he was of military status (no).

The main text says:

Balcer Radiminski ein alter Mann von daselbst [Rozieniec], ist im 77ten Jahr seines Alters an ei-
ner langwierigen Krankheit den 25ten Mai verstorben und darauf den 26ten dito [Mai] begraben worden.

Balcer Radiminski an old man from Rozieniec, died in the 77th year of his age from a lengthy disease on May 25th and was buried on May 26th.

The right column provides cause of death (alterswegen or because of old age), gender (männl. or male) and age (77).

Best regards,
Michael
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:48 pm      Post subject:

Thank you very much, Michael. I was hoping for small clues to prove relationships, but unfortunately these early records don't provide much more than the essentials. Even the marriage records don't include the parents names! What this translation does show is that Balcer was living in Kozieniec (in German: Koczienietz). I know you translated it as Rozieniec, but there is no such place in Muschaken parish. There is however a Kozieniec (shown in Meyers Gazetteer as an estate), which is also the place where Jacob V. Radziminski and his wife Eva died in 1800 (a record you translated earlier). A slim clue to relationship, but nevertheless, there it is.

Still excavating for the clues and following the trail with your help!
I have a couple of other records I will post in another reply.

Also, I have materially shown my appreciation for your help via the "donate" button yesterday Wink

All the best,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:57 pm      Post subject: pls translate Radziminski birth record

Hello again, Michael.

I was able to dig out the Muschaken baptism record for Jacobus Radziminski, 1763 at the Family Research Center near me. This is especially interesting to me for three reasons: 1) I think I see the location of birth as "Frankenau" (I could most certainly could be wrong), 2) The Jacob Radziminski marriage record I have for Frankenau shows he married Eva Burska/Barska and the mother in this record is Eva, and 3) One of the witnesses is Michael Radziminski (who would be his brother also of Frankenau).

When you have the opportunity, I would greatly appreciate your working your translation magic on this one!!! It is entry #51 on the page.

All the best,
Cynthia

1763 Jacob Radziminski birth 2.jpg
 Description:
1763 Jacob Radziminski birth
 Filesize:  1.68 MB

1763 Jacob Radziminski birth 2.jpg

Send e-mail
Kmichael8

Post Posted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:34 am      Post subject: Re: pls translate Radziminski birth record

mcdonald0517 wrote:
Hello again, Michael.

I was able to dig out the Muschaken baptism record for Jacobus Radziminski, 1763 at the Family Research Center near me. This is especially interesting to me for three reasons: 1) I think I see the location of birth as "Frankenau" (I could most certainly could be wrong), 2) The Jacob Radziminski marriage record I have for Frankenau shows he married Eva Burska/Barska and the mother in this record is Eva, and 3) One of the witnesses is Michael Radziminski (who would be his brother also of Frankenau).

When you have the opportunity, I would greatly appreciate your working your translation magic on this one!!! It is entry #51 on the page.

All the best,
Cynthia

Hello Cynthia,

You are right regarding the place: it’s Kozieniec, not Rozieniec.

Your entry 51:

The first line identifies the father and is continued in the middle of the second line: “Herr Jacob Radzymienski von Pentzken Pater“. I am unsure about the first letter in the name of the place, but if you have a look at the list of villages belonging to the parish of Muschaken, it seems to be the best fit.

The second line identifies the mother: “Fr[au] Eva Mater.” Her family name is not provided.

The next two lines inform about the born and baptized child, a son: “Jacobus filius natus die 6. baptizatus die 7. Julii.” Jacob, a son was born on the 6th and baptized on the 7th of July. There is an additional word used after the date. I am unsure about the word’s ending. For me it looks like “Janovid” or “Janoviel” and might be the name of the clergyman who performed the baptism.

The last three lines identify the godparents or Susceptores: Michel Radzymienski and what I read as Fr[au] Oryxxstein. I am not sure but I assume it’s the name of a woman. As there is no further information about the person provided, this might be a hint that she was Michel’s wife.

Hope this helps,
and Merry Christmas
Michael
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 93, 94, 95  Next Page 16 of 95

Jump to: