PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
German records translations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 93, 94, 95  Next
Author

Replies: 543

Post Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:08 am      Post subject: Re: Translation of German Marriage Records

jajan wrote:
Could someone please translate the attached 2 marriage records that I think are in german? I can figure out the basic information but am missing some of the details and an understanding of the complete records. Both are from Lipusz parish in Pommeranian\Kashubian Poland. One is from 1835 for Mathias Krieger and Agnes Knitter. The other is for Johann Kruger and Augustina Rogalska from 1865. Your assistance would be very much appreciated.

Thank-You!
jajan

Please find attached the translation of the two marriage records which are written in German.

Best regards,
Michael

The record from 1835 for Mathias Krieger and Agnesia Knitter:

[No.] 15 Squieraven [also Squirawen or Polish Skwierawy]
on September 23, I, Joseph Ruchniewicz, priest, married the widower and cottager Mathias Krieger, 38 years old and the widow Agnesia Knitter, 34 years [old] after submitting the necessary permission, publication of the banns for three times and in the presence of the two witnesses Simon Behrend and Franz Wolter.

The record for Johann Krüger and Augustina Rogalska from 1865:

No. 29

Day of marriage: June 22, [1865]

Of the groom:
Name and residence: Johann Krüger from Lippusch [Polish Lipusz]

Of the bride:
Name and residence: Augustina Rogalska from Squieraven [Polish Skwierawy]

Approval:
Of the groom: parents
Of the bride: guardianship court (Vormundschaftsgericht)

Date of the banns: [The date is given for entry no 28 but is the same for entry no 29 (“dito”):]
Dominica 6ten post Pascha: The sixth Sunday after Easter Sunday, i.e. May 28, 1865
Dom[inica] Pentecosten: Pentecost, i.e. June 4, 1865
et 1ten [Dominica] post Pentecosten: the first Sunday after Pentecost, i.e. June 11, 1865

Witnesses: Mathias Pellowzki and Johann Sztachlewicz

Name of the clergyman who performed the marriage [“dito” i.e. same as in entry no 28:] xxx, priest
jajan

Replies: 71

Post Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:40 pm      Post subject: RE: German Record Translations

"Please find attached the translation of the two marriage records which are written in German."

Michael: I can't Thank-You enough for taking the time to do the translations of the 2 Krieger\Kruger marriages for me! You definately provided the details and understanding that I was missing. The "Vormundschaftsgericht" may explain why I have not (yet) been able to find a birth record for Augustina nor any information on her parents. After I received your reply, I spent some time studying another marriage for a Catharine Rogalska who md at age 21 in the same parish in 1870. I had thought she might be a sister. Under the marriage approvals for the bride in that record, it seems to say "gericht" which I now see means "court" and "gericht" appears fairly frequently in the approval columns for the grooms and brides for this parish and time period. So I don't think it reflects a guardianship court as Augustina's marriage record does.

Your translation assistance has also resulted in my being able to understand more portions of other records in the parish. That is very valuable and very much appreciated!

Sincerely,

jajan
Edu

Replies: 8

Post Posted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:45 pm      Post subject: German translation: German Ironworks Employee Records 1884

Dear All,

I have come across a relatively obscure goldmine of information online on several of my ancestors from an 1884 Employee Record Book http://historia.metalpol.com/ARCHIWALIA/Dokumentacja%20Archiwalna/Spis%20Pracownik%C3%B3w%20za%201884%20rok/index.html from a ironworks factory in Węgierska Górka, Żywiec County, Silesia (today still in existence as Metalpol). I have tried to translate the German text as best I can but still have a few critical "holes" that I hope someone may be able to help me fill in. The handwriting and print is sometimes difficult to read in the image provided. I am attaching a Word document template with German words I cannot make out highlighted in yellow. Any advice or suggestions on interpreting key information highlighted in yellow - particularly Place (Ort), Country (Land) and positions, would be greatly appreciated. I can find no reference to a "Kleprazow" in "Moravia" but perhaps I am not interpreting them correctly.

Many thanks in advance!

Employee Book from 1884 Syrowy 6-156 p 11.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  88.73 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Employee Book from 1884 Syrowy 6-156 p 11.JPG

Franciszek Syrowy Employee Book p 11.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Franciszek Syrowy Employee Book p 11.pdf
 Filesize:  518.32 KB
 Downloaded:  506 Time(s)

Kmichael8

Post Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:22 pm      Post subject: Re: German translation: German Ironworks Employee Records 18

Edu wrote:
Dear All,

I have come across a relatively obscure goldmine of information online on several of my ancestors from an 1884 Employee Record Book http://historia.metalpol.com/ARCHIWALIA/Dokumentacja%20Archiwalna/Spis%20Pracownik%C3%B3w%20za%201884%20rok/index.html from a ironworks factory in Węgierska Górka, Żywiec County, Silesia (today still in existence as Metalpol). I have tried to translate the German text as best I can but still have a few critical "holes" that I hope someone may be able to help me fill in. The handwriting and print is sometimes difficult to read in the image provided. I am attaching a Word document template with German words I cannot make out highlighted in yellow. Any advice or suggestions on interpreting key information highlighted in yellow - particularly Place (Ort), Country (Land) and positions, would be greatly appreciated. I can find no reference to a "Kleprazow" in "Moravia" but perhaps I am not interpreting them correctly.

Many thanks in advance!

Hello Edu,

This is a very fascinating document indeed. Unfortunately the resolution of the scans is so low that is difficult to recognize the details. However, you managed to get a lot out of it. Some additions from my side in the sequence of the columns:

I would support your interpretation regarding the country of birth as “Mähren” or Moravia.

The next column is a bit confusing. I read the heading as “Hat vorher gedient wo und in welcher Eigenschaft“ and would assume it to be an information about military service. Military service was compulsory and it was in the interest of an employer to know whether it was completed or not. But the word in the column is “kathol.”, short for “katholisch” or Catholic. So this column was used for information about the religion.

The following two columns are the date of the worker’s entry into the factory (“Ist in die jetzige Arbeit getreten”), his first position, his development or career and a kind of classification. Franz entered in 1856 as a “Former” or molder. There was no change to that (compare for an example of a career development in the first entry on page 10). All the job roles where kind of classified: a Roman I or II and in some cases a suffix I read as “Cl”, short for “Classe” or class. I would assume this was a sort of classification according to seniority and / or payment group.

To marry, Franz needed the director’s approval which he got on February 2, 1872 (in German the date is written dd/mm/yyyy). He married the same month. The day is not provided. What is noted below the date of the director’s approval seems to be a reference to this approval (X 619/illegible).

I would support your interpretation that the daughter Karolina was born in July 1871, and the youngest daughter in March 1880. I read her name as “Paula”.

The entry for Katharina in the column “Wurde bei diesem Werke in Abgang gebracht“ seems to have two words, the first being “nicht” and a second abbreviated one I am not sure about, but it might have a meaning like “not applicable”.

Hope this helps. A scan with a higher resolution might help to clarify the still open points.

Best regards,
Michael
Edu

Post Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:37 am      Post subject: German translation: German Ironworks Employee Records 1884

Hello Michael

Thank you so much - this is a HUGE help to me, unlocking the mysteries of the German in this record has opened so many new clues to explore! Unfortunately, these poor quality images are all I have to work with for now - apparently the original documents are scattered in various locations in Poland. Franz (Franciszek) Syrowy was my 2nd great grandfather.

1. Confirming the Moravia is the county of birth greatly helps narrow my search now. Searching for a "Kleprazow" (or some derivative of that name) has been a painstaking search - it could be a village, town, district - in Czech, German or possibly Polish (the -zow ending seems Polish). Unless I am not deciphering the German handwriting correctly?
2. Thanks for the clarification regarding the "military service" column - which makes complete sense. Perhaps given Franciszek's age in 1884 (53 years) it was no longer an issue? Perhaps religious affiliation might have been more relevant information for a dangerous workplace (the ironworks) in case of death, accident, etc. Life was so much shorter back then.
3. Can you confirm what the German text in the column heading (Kategorie beim Eintrille und deren weitere Verwendung) is correct and what the translation would be? I would like to have it for my template (I have several ancestors who worked at this factory).
4. It was also good to confirm that that Franz was a molder as was his son Carl (Karol), my great grandfather and immigrant ancestor, was an iron molder as well in West Virginia and Ohio. Like father, like son.
5. It is fascinating that one needed approval from one's supervisor to get married. These dates will help me track down official marriage records. The reference 619 may refer to the date permission was requested (June 19) with the year below (illegible, possibly "72").
6. As for the last daughter's name "Paula" - it could well be, it's very hard to read. I have other documentation that refers to a daughter by the name of "Josefa," but given the handwriting and poor image quality, it's hard to decipher exactly.

Again, thank you SO MUCH for your assistance with this!!!
Kmichael8

Post Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:30 am      Post subject: Re: German translation: German Ironworks Employee Records 18

Edu wrote:

3. Can you confirm what the German text in the column heading (Kategorie beim Eintrille und deren weitere Verwendung) is correct and what the translation would be? I would like to have it for my template (I have several ancestors who worked at this factory).

Hello Ed,

The German text in the column heading is “Kategorie beim Eintritt und dessen weitere Verwendung“. I would translate it as: category in terms of job role when entering and his (i.e. the worker’s) further utilization in terms of “he worked as”.

Let’s have a look at two other column headings, too.

The next column is “Dermaliger Aufenthaltsort”. “Dermalig” is old German for “jetzig” or current, so it’s “current abode”.

The penultimate column is “Wurde bei diesem Werk in Abgang gebracht“. This is old and formal German and has a meaning like “reducing a number”, i.e. “reduced the number of workers in this factory”. A good example can be found in entry 80 on page 32: the worker left the factory in 1879 and reentered the same year.

Best regards,
Michael
Edu

Post Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:26 am      Post subject: German translation: German Ironworks Employee Records 1884

Many thanks again, Michael for your generous and insightful help - I never realized I was up against old German in this document - which shows some definite limitations with Google Translate (which has still been a tremendous help). There is no substitute for someone who knows both context and content well, like yourself! All of this is extremely helpful and I will update my template accordingly. I have many other ancestors in this Employee Book to research still. All the best!
rfiorille

Replies: 26

Post Posted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:05 pm      Post subject:

Hello Forum,

This is my first German document and I would very much appreciate a translation! I'm attaching the documents for marriage of Anton Zawadski and Veronika Pural. I'm not sure, but it appears that Anton's father was possibly widowed and remarried. And Veronika is listed as "Janowska alias Pural". Would like some help in better understanding her surname and also about who the parents of the bride and groom are. Any information regarding the town and witness information is greatly appreciated as well. Looking for as much info as possible!

Thank you!
Robert

Zawadski Pural marriage 1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.15 MB

Zawadski Pural marriage 1.jpg

Zawadski Pural marriage 2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1018.97 KB

Zawadski Pural marriage 2.jpg

Kmichael8

Post Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:18 am      Post subject:

rfiorille wrote:
Hello Forum,

This is my first German document and I would very much appreciate a translation! I'm attaching the documents for marriage of Anton Zawadski and Veronika Pural. I'm not sure, but it appears that Anton's father was possibly widowed and remarried. And Veronika is listed as "Janowska alias Pural". Would like some help in better understanding her surname and also about who the parents of the bride and groom are. Any information regarding the town and witness information is greatly appreciated as well. Looking for as much info as possible!

Thank you!
Robert

Hello Robert

Please find the translation of the marriage document and some additional comments in [ ]:

Page 1

B [indicating it’s a marriage record] No. 3

Weißenhöhe [The place was renamed in 1875, the old German name was Bialosliwe, Polish Białośliwie, Powiat Pilski], on January 29, 1879.

Before the undersigned registrar appeared today for the purpose of marriage:

1. the farmhand [Knecht] Anton Zawadski, of known identity, of Catholic religion, born on January 25, 1856 in Mrozowo, county [Kreis] Wirsitz [Polish Wyrzysk], residing in Rzenszkowo [later renamed in Walddorf], previously in Altdamm [I assume it is meant he moved from Altdamm/Polish Dabie to Rzenszkowo], son of Lorenz Zawadski and his wife Agnes, born Kruschka residing in Jobshöhe [was also renamed, the old German name was Lischkowke, a “Vorwerk” or farm belonging to the landed estate Witzleben], county [Kreis] Wirsitz. [There is no hint that Anton's father was widowed and remarried.]

2. the unmarried Veronica Janowska alias Pural, of known identity, of Catholic religion, born on January 6, 1858 in Gorka zagajne, county [Kreis] Schubin, residing in Rzenszkowo, daughter of Constantia Janowska, later married Pural, residing in Rzenszkowo. [As the name of the bride’s father is not provided, it looks as if Veronica was the illegitimate child of the unmarried Constantia Janowska who later married, but her husband was not the child’s father.]

Page 2

The following were present and appeared as witnesses:

3. the forester [Waldwärter] Joseph Bujewski, of known identity, 55 years old, residing in Rzenszkowo

4. the xxx [unsure about this word] Paul Kowalski, of know identity, 36 years old, residing in Rzenszkowo.

In the presence of the witnesses the registrar put to each of the betrothed in turn the question: whether they were willing to enter into marriage with one another. The betrothed answered this question in the affirmative, whereupon the registrar pronounced that by virtue of the Civil Code they were henceforth legally joined in marriage.
Read aloud, authorized and due to that Veronica Janowska alias Pural cannot write provided with her mark, signed by the others

Anton Zawadski, +++ [the bride’s mark], Joseph Bujewski, Paul Kowa[lski]

The Registrar.
(Signature).

Best regards,
Michael
rfiorille

Replies: 26

Post Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:14 pm      Post subject:

Thank you Michael! I truly appreciate your translation and will use it in the future as a guide for any other German records I come across. I also thank you for giving the extra information in brackets. That is very helpful. I had a feeling Veronika was possibly illegitimate. My reasoning for wondering about Anton's father being widowed and remarried is based on information I found in the poznan project database online. I've found these entries in the database that I believe are the marriage records for Anton's father Lorenz:

Catholic parish Glesno
entry 5 / 1872
Laurentius Zawadzki (50 years old, widower)
father: Thomas Zawadzki , mother: Rosalia Wasiak
Agnes Kruszka nee Kwiatkowski (36 years old)
father: Carolus Kwiatkowski vel Blum , mother: Marianna Kolender

Catholic parish Sadki [Sadke]
entry 11 / 1846
Laurentius Zawadzki (26 years old)
father: Thomas Zawadzki , mother: Rosalia
Agatha Łukomka (21 years old)
father: Bartholomaeus Łukowski , mother: Catharina

I'm mapping all these villages where they lived and moved to, and even though they are not extremely far apart, these families seem to have migrated to a lot of different locations. Do you think this is because they were farmers? I've noticed this in some of my other Polish documents from family in the Russian part of Poland.

Thank you again for the very thorough translation!

Sincerely,
Robert
Kmichael8

Post Posted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:25 am      Post subject:

rfiorille wrote:
Thank you Michael! I truly appreciate your translation and will use it in the future as a guide for any other German records I come across. I also thank you for giving the extra information in brackets. That is very helpful. I had a feeling Veronika was possibly illegitimate. My reasoning for wondering about Anton's father being widowed and remarried is based on information I found in the poznan project database online. I've found these entries in the database that I believe are the marriage records for Anton's father Lorenz:

Catholic parish Glesno
entry 5 / 1872
Laurentius Zawadzki (50 years old, widower)
father: Thomas Zawadzki , mother: Rosalia Wasiak
Agnes Kruszka nee Kwiatkowski (36 years old)
father: Carolus Kwiatkowski vel Blum , mother: Marianna Kolender

Catholic parish Sadki [Sadke]
entry 11 / 1846
Laurentius Zawadzki (26 years old)
father: Thomas Zawadzki , mother: Rosalia
Agatha Łukomka (21 years old)
father: Bartholomaeus Łukowski , mother: Catharina

I'm mapping all these villages where they lived and moved to, and even though they are not extremely far apart, these families seem to have migrated to a lot of different locations. Do you think this is because they were farmers? I've noticed this in some of my other Polish documents from family in the Russian part of Poland.

Thank you again for the very thorough translation!

Sincerely,
Robert

Hello Robert

You’re welcome.

Regarding Anton's parents, it might be an idea to have a look into the baptismal register of the Catholic church book of Sadki, which was the parish for Mrozowo, too. I would expect they are available at familysearch.

In deed you can observe during the second half of the 19th century a significant migration process within the Eastern provinces of Prussia, within Germany from the East to the West (to Berlin, to the areas along Rhine and Ruhr) and overseas, too. It was driven by a growing, mainly rural and landless population in search of work.

Best regards,
Michael
Mrudnik

Replies: 61

Post Posted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:16 pm      Post subject: Marriage Record

Hello,

I am looking for some assistance with the attached Marriage Record. I am looking for help with deciphering the names of where the groom and witness are from. The bride is listed as being from Gross Schonbruck (which is Szembruk Poland), but I am having a hard time deciphering the other two cities. They look like Gr Ortlem and Oszczewit to me, but I am not sure.

Any help is appreciated.

Michael

JKOS 1848.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.26 MB

JKOS 1848.png

a4u2fear

Replies: 230

Post Posted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:37 am      Post subject: translation of marriage

There are two pages of the marriage of Andrew Rachela and Magdalena Kudrzynska

would love if someone could help translate; what I'm most interested about is about the groom and his parents (whether alive or not or consent). I do not need every piece translated.

thank you

Andrew Rachela marriage to Magdalena Kudrzynska 1877 basia2.jpg
 Description:
page 2
 Filesize:  1.31 MB

Andrew Rachela marriage to Magdalena Kudrzynska 1877 basia2.jpg

Andrew Rachela marriage to Magdalena Kudrzynska 1877 basia.jpg
 Description:
page 1
 Filesize:  1.16 MB

Andrew Rachela marriage to Magdalena Kudrzynska 1877 basia.jpg

Kmichael8

Post Posted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:10 am      Post subject: Re: translation of marriage

a4u2fear wrote:
There are two pages of the marriage of Andrew Rachela and Magdalena Kudrzynska

would love if someone could help translate; what I'm most interested about is about the groom and his parents (whether alive or not or consent). I do not need every piece translated.

thank you

The groom was the farmhand (Knecht) Andreas Rachela, of Catholic religion, residing in Lopienno. He was born on November 21, 1846 in Polskawies, county (Kreis) of Gnesen. His parents were the deceased spouses Michael Rachela and his wife Marianna, born Rojecoska from Polskawies.

The Catholic parish for Polskawies was Kletzko. The church books from Kletzko are available at familiysearch. The groom’s parents Michael and Marianne married on October 18, 1840. He was 27, she 21 at that time. Please see:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSXF-T2LC?i=13&cat=766718

The bride was the maid (Magd) Magdalena Kudrzynska, of Catholic religion, residing in Lopienno. She was born on May 15, 1851 in Janowitz and the illegitimate child of the deceased Hedwig Kudrzynska.

Best regards,
Michael
Kmichael8

Post Posted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:14 am      Post subject: Re: Marriage Record

Mrudnik wrote:
Hello,

I am looking for some assistance with the attached Marriage Record. I am looking for help with deciphering the names of where the groom and witness are from. The bride is listed as being from Gross Schonbruck (which is Szembruk Poland), but I am having a hard time deciphering the other two cities. They look like Gr Ortlem and Oszczewit to me, but I am not sure.

Any help is appreciated.

Michael

Could you provide the name of the parish, the year of the entry and a link to the document, please?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 93, 94, 95  Next Page 24 of 95

Jump to: