PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
German records translations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 93, 94, 95  Next
Author

Replies: 230

Post Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:49 am      Post subject:

thanks Michael. The german "e"s look like english "n"s to me; so this one was confusing.
Kmichael8

Replies: 543

Post Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:10 am      Post subject:

a4u2fear wrote:
thanks Michael. The german "e"s look like english "n"s to me; so this one was confusing.

That might be confusing indeed. The LDS provide a wiki "Deciphering German script" that deals with problems like this one. You might have a look at:
https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/Special:Search?fulltext=true&search=Deciphering+German+script
a4u2fear

Post Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:25 am      Post subject:

thank you this is very helpful
a4u2fear

Post Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:33 am      Post subject:

hi michael

attached are two marriage in 1782 from Berg, Germersheim Germany

the grooms are Ferdinard Harter and Ludovicus Harter who are brothers. I also posted this in latin forums and Sophia/Dave think their mother is Catharina Fisher or Ficher. They are not certain however.

Do you have an opinion of the mother's maiden name?

Both marriages are on the right side

ferdinand harder catharina hofman marriage 7947280 img 308.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.47 MB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

ferdinand harder catharina hofman marriage 7947280 img 308.jpg

Kmichael8

Post Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:28 pm      Post subject:

a4u2fear wrote:
hi michael

the grooms are Ferdinard Harter and Ludovicus Harter who are brothers. I also posted this in latin forums and Sophia/Dave think their mother is Catharina Fisher or Ficher. They are not certain however.

Hello Andrew, Sophia and Dave

I wonder whether Catharina’s maiden name was Miller / Müller.

Three arguments:

Sophia found the record from 1762, where the name is written Müller [“nata müllerin”].

The first letter of the name starts with an upward curve from the right to the left. If you compare it with the Ferdinand “F”, it’s the other way round. But if you look for example at the Michaelis “M”, you’ll see the same curve. Hence I would assume, the first letter is an “M”.

In 18th Century German – and may be even before – the letters “i” and “ü” could be used one for the other like in the German word “gültig / giltig” [valid].

What do you think?

Best regards,
Michael
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:59 pm      Post subject:

Kmichael8 wrote:
a4u2fear wrote:
hi michael

Hello Andrew, Sophia and Dave

I wonder whether Catharina’s maiden name was Miller / Müller.

Three arguments:

Sophia found the record from 1762, where the name is written Müller [“nata müllerin”].

The first letter of the name starts with an upward curve from the right to the left. If you compare it with the Ferdinand “F”, it’s the other way round. But if you look for example at the Michaelis “M”, you’ll see the same curve. Hence I would assume, the first letter is an “M”.

In 18th Century German – and may be even before – the letters “i” and “ü” could be used one for the other like in the German word “gültig / giltig” [valid].

What do you think?

Best regards,
Michael

Hi Michael,
Yes, I think you've got it exactly right. Müller, Miller.
Now, I just found another piece of the puzzle, which I will post on the Latin translation thread. I cannot make any sense of it.
Thank you so much,
Sophia
a4u2fear

Post Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:20 pm      Post subject:

thank you both. i agree, once i started comparing the "m"s i could see it, just strangely the last name always had the "m" very sloppily written than the others.
Peter.Wollinski

Replies: 10

Post Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:52 pm      Post subject: German Translation Request

Hi
It will be appreciated if the attached death certificate was translated.

Thanks Peter

Death certificate (1).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  921.68 KB

Death certificate (1).jpg

Kmichael8

Post Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:32 am      Post subject: Re: German Translation Request

Peter.Wollinski wrote:
Hi
It will be appreciated if the attached death certificate was translated.

Thanks Peter

Hello Peter

This is the death certificate of Samuel Wolinski, born in Gollantsch, child of Loiser Wolinski and Dora Jakobsberg, who was killed in action in 1916, we already discussed. In a little more detail:

C. No. 58.
Schlochau [Polish Człuchów], on Dezember 7, 1916

The Königlich Preußische Infanterie Regiment (3. Hannoversches) No. 79 [Meaning this regiment was the 3rd from the Prussian province Hannover and the 79th of the German Empire. In October 1916 the regiment was deployed on the Eastern front.] gave notice that

the musketeer [Musketier] of the 4th company of this regiment, businessman [Kaufmann] Samuel Wolinski, unmarried, 22 years old, of Mosaic religion, born in Gollantsch, county [Kreis] Wongrowitz, son of the servant to the synagogue [Synagogendiener] Loiser Wolisnki and his wife Dora, born Jakobsberg, both residing in Gollantsch in Poznan, in the fight at Zaturce” on October 2, 1916 died on the wounds received. The exact time of death could not be determined.

Above 23 printed words deleted.

The Registrar.
[Signature]
The accordance with the main register is approved.
Schlochau on December 7, 1916.
The Registrar.
[Signature]

Best wishes
Michael
lindqm2

Replies: 58

Post Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:25 pm      Post subject: Translation please :)

I have the "Europe, Registration of Foreigners and German Persecutees, 1939-1947"

There are two pages. My great grandfather's cousin is Zygmunt Prymas (he is 2nd from the bottom). I believe the 2 Andrzejak gentleman on the 2 lines above him are his cousins as well (their grandmother's maiden name is Andrzejewski). They're from Wrąbczyn (Zagorow parish).

My questions are - what does the information on page 2 say and why are they on the list? Did they die?

*Edit: I just added the headers of page 1 and page 2 because I just noticed they got cut off when I saved them.

Thank you in advance!

Headers Persecutees page 2.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  32.71 KB

Headers Persecutees page 2.JPG

Headers Persecutees page 1.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  27.65 KB

Headers Persecutees page 1.JPG

Persecutees page 2.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.56 MB

Persecutees page 2.png

Persecutees page 1.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.55 MB

Persecutees page 1.png

Kmichael8

Post Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:58 am      Post subject: Re: Translation please :)

lindqm2 wrote:
I have the "Europe, Registration of Foreigners and German Persecutees, 1939-1947"

There are two pages. My great grandfather's cousin is Zygmunt Prymas (he is 2nd from the bottom). I believe the 2 Andrzejak gentleman on the 2 lines above him are his cousins as well (their grandmother's maiden name is Andrzejewski). They're from Wrąbczyn (Zagorow parish).

My questions are - what does the information on page 2 say and why are they on the list? Did they die?

*Edit: I just added the headers of page 1 and page 2 because I just noticed they got cut off when I saved them.

Thank you in advance!

Hello,

I had a look at the documents you provided. My first impression is, the columns on page 2 were not used as the headers indicated. Regarding the context of these documents what can be found on page 2 looks like an information about (forced) labor with remarks like “Arbeitsamt zurück” [referred to the employment office]. In entries where a year is provided, it is 1941, so obviously the list is related to this year. To get a better understanding of this list it would be helpful, if you could provide more context information about the documents. Did you use https://arolsen-archives.org/en/ for your research?

Best regards,
Michael
lindqm2

Post Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:25 am      Post subject: Re: Translation please :)

Kmichael8 wrote:
lindqm2 wrote:

Thank you in advance!

Hello,

I had a look at the documents you provided. My first impression is, the columns on page 2 were not used as the headers indicated. Regarding the context of these documents what can be found on page 2 looks like an information about (forced) labor with remarks like “Arbeitsamt zurück” [referred to the employment office]. In entries where a year is provided, it is 1941, so obviously the list is related to this year. To get a better understanding of this list it would be helpful, if you could provide more context information about the documents. Did you use https://arolsen-archives.org/en/ for your research?

Best regards,
Michael

Thank you so much! I found that first document on Ancestry.com. It said that it was from "2.1.4 - Soviet Zone of Occupation in Germany - 2.1.4.1 - Lists of all persons of United Nations and other foreigners, German Jews and stateless persons; Soviet Zone (1)".

I went onto the website link that you provided and found 1 more document with his name on it (see attached). It is from "Excerpts from registration books - 1. of the town Benndorf - registration periods: 11.11.1939 - 28.5.1945". Can you tell what that says and/or means?

For context, my grandmother told my uncle when she was in her late years and had dementia that her father's grandfather was an hasidic jew and had a long black beard and the family was harassed by the towns people often and once had their barn burned down. She said he was born Jewish but married a Catholic woman and converted. This man's name was Franciszek Rakowski and I have found that he and his parents were Catholic. However his wife, Marianna Adrezjewski, was previously married to a man named Wojciech Prymas and had several children with him. I'm going on the hunch that maybe Wojciech was possibly baptized Jewish and/or his wife was and then converted to Catholicism later. Zygmunt Prymus is my grandmother's father's cousin.

ZP_page 2_Benndorf.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  27.54 KB

ZP_page 2_Benndorf.JPG

ZP_page 1_Benndorf.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  22.6 KB

ZP_page 1_Benndorf.JPG

Kmichael8

Post Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:34 am      Post subject: Re: Translation please :)

lindqm2 wrote:

Thank you so much! I found that first document on Ancestry.com. It said that it was from "2.1.4 - Soviet Zone of Occupation in Germany - 2.1.4.1 - Lists of all persons of United Nations and other foreigners, German Jews and stateless persons; Soviet Zone (1)".

I went onto the website link that you provided and found 1 more document with his name on it (see attached). It is from "Excerpts from registration books - 1. of the town Benndorf - registration periods: 11.11.1939 - 28.5.1945". Can you tell what that says and/or means?

It says: Prymus Zygmunt, a farm worker (land.[wirtschaftlicher] Arbeiter), born on July, 29 [18]96 in Wrombizyn [Wrąbczyn], Kr.[eis] Konin, of Polish nationality, unmarried, moved [from Benndorf] to Eilenburg on November 30, 1942.

Benndorf and Eilenburg belonged to the administrative district [Landratsamt] Delitsch in what is today Saxony in Germany. It might mean that in winter there was no need for farm hands and they had to work in a nearby factory. There are some wage cards from companies in Eilenburg listed in the Arolsen Archives. You might have a look.
lindqm2

Post Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:54 am      Post subject:

Thank you for the translation and info. So, do you think he was on the list because he was Polish, and not necessarily Jewish?
Kmichael8

Post Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:08 pm      Post subject:

lindqm2 wrote:
Thank you for the translation and info. So, do you think he was on the list because he was Polish, and not necessarily Jewish?

Yes, that's my impression from the documents we looked at: he was a forced laborer of Polish nationality.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 93, 94, 95  Next Page 32 of 95

Jump to: