PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
German records translations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 93, 94, 95  Next
Author

Replies: 544

Post Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:10 pm      Post subject: Re: Radziminski Death records

mcdonald0517 wrote:
Hello Michael,

First of all, thank you so much for offering your expertise in translating German. Can you also translate German script from old records?

If so, I would greatly appreciate a translation of this death record. There are 2 entries marked by arrows. One for Adam Radziminski and one for Johann Radziminski. Also, there are two pages (left and right).

Best regards,
Cynthia

Hello Cynthia,

Please find attached my translation of the death records for Adam and Johann Radziminski. The handwriting is difficult to read, so I double checked the column headings with those in another church book from 1830 (Wartenstein in East Prussia) and the status or profession of Adam and Johann with the Radzyminski birth entry comment you posted on Apr 06, 2016. The burial place is taken from the “Chronik und Statistik der evangelischen Kirchen in den Provinzen Ost- und Westpreussen, 1890, S.132-133”. Regarding name and age of Adam’s stepdaughter please see my comment there.

Best regards
Michael

The record for Johann Radziminski, from the left to the right:

Nr. 22.

Sterbeort (place of death): Frankenau

Name und Zuname der Verstorbenen und ob männlich oder weiblich: (first name and name of the deceased and whether male or female): Johann Radziminski

Stand der Verstorbenen (status of the deceased): adl. [adliger] Einsaße / Witwer / (a landowning farmer in the village of a nobleman / widower /)

Alter desselben: Jahr – Monat – Tage: (his age: year – month – days): 37 Jahre (years)

Ob der Verstorbene eine Gattin, oder majorenne oder minorenne Kinder oder Erben hinterlassen (whether the deceased left behind a spouse or children of full age or under age or heirs): 1. Tochter Maria – 7 Ja [Jahre] (daughter Maria 7 years) 2. Stief Tochter Carolina Cxxxky (?) 19 Jahre (?) (stepdaughter Carolina, her name starts with „C“ and ends with „ky“ and it looks as if she was 19 years old)

Tag und Stunde des Todes (day and hour of death) – Tag: siebenzehnter /17./ August – Stunde: zehn /10/ Uhr vormittags (August 17, 10:00 a.m.)

Krankheit woran er Verstorbenen (desease that caused his death): Nervenfieber (typhus)

Name des Predigers dem die Todesanzeige gemacht wurde [unleserlich] – (name of the clergyman who received the death notice [illegible])

Tag des Begräbnisses (day of burial) neunzehnter /19./ August

Kirchhof, auf welchem er begraben (churchyard where he is buried): Seeburg [This is more a guess than really read: Frankenau was part of the Protestant Kirchspiel Seeburg– today Jeziorany, six kilometers south of Frankenau. Here was the Protestant cemetery.]

The record for Adam Radziminski, from the left to the right:

Nr. 23.

Sterbeort (place of death): Frankenau

Name und Zuname der Verstorbenen und ob männlich oder weiblich (first name and name of the deceased and whether male or female): Adam Radziminski

Stand des Verstorbenen (status of the deceased): Sohn des daselbst verstorbenen adl. Eins: [adligen Einsaßen] Michael Radziminski (son of the deceased Michael Radziminski, who was a landowning farmer in the village of a nobleman and died here)

Alter desselben: Jahr – Monat – Tage (his age: year – month – days): 20 Jahre (years)

Ob der Verstorbene eine Gattin, oder majorenne oder minorenne Kinder oder Erben hinterlassen (whether the deceased left behind a spouse or children of full age or under age or heirs): 1) einen Bruder 2) 2 Schwestern 3) eine Brudertochter [Nichte] (a brother, two sisters, a brother’s daughter [a niece])

Tag und Stunde des Todes (day and hour of death) – Tag: sechsundzwanzigster /26./ August – Stunde: zwei /2/ Uhr morgens (August 26, 2:00 a.m.)

Krankheit woran er verstorbenen (desease that caused his death): Nervenfieber (typhus)

Name des Predigers dem die Todesanzeige gemacht wurde [unleserlich] - name of the clergyman who received the death notice [illegible]

Tag des Begräbnisses (day of burial): acht u[nd] zwanzigsten /28./ August

Kirchhof, auf welchem er begraben (churchyard where he is buried): Seeburg [see note above]
mcdonald0517
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 960

Post Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:36 pm      Post subject:

Hello Michael,

Thank you so much - not only for the translation, but also for the extra research you did in order to provide a precise translation. I so appreciate your help. These death records will help me to piece together more information about my Radziminski family. I was surprised the death record did not mention a wife for Johann. And, you offered me another definition of Adl. Einsasser that I have not seen before. I am assuming that if a farmer owned land within the town owned by a nobleman, it was passed down to his sons. What happened once all of his sons died? This was the case in the Radziminski family. Michal and his son's died young. He had two daughters remaining. One of them, Maria, my great Grandmother, ended up having several children out of wedlock after the demise of her last brother. She later married my great grandfather, Andreas Krueger, in 1851 and was listed as a "servant" in the record. It makes me wonder what happened to the unmarried daughters of Michal once he and all of his sons died. Did the nobleman of the town take them as his own? There seems to be a story here that I have yet to uncover.

Again, THANK YOU!
Best regards,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:26 pm      Post subject:

Hi Michael,

I don't think the burial location is correct for Johann and Adam Radziminski. There are 2 villages named Frankenau. The one you used to identify the burial loation is the Frankenau near Lidzbark. That is not the village of the Radziminski family.

The Radziminski family village is today known as Fraknowo and is located near Skottau (now Szkotowo). Sorry I didn't provide you with this known information along with the request for translation.

Could the entry in the record been Skottau instead of Seeburg?

Best,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
Kmichael8

Post Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:30 pm      Post subject:

mcdonald0517 wrote:
Hi Michael,

I don't think the burial location is correct for Johann and Adam Radziminski. There are 2 villages named Frankenau. The one you used to identify the burial loation is the Frankenau near Lidzbark. That is not the village of the Radziminski family.

The Radziminski family village is today known as Fraknowo and is located near Skottau (now Szkotowo). Sorry I didn't provide you with this known information along with the request for translation.

Could the entry in the record been Skottau instead of Seeburg?

Best,
Cynthia

Hello Cynthia

Thank you for this additional information. I double checked again with the “Chronik und Statistik der evangelischen Kirchen in den Provinzen Ost- und Westpreussen, 1890, S.192”. Frankenau (now Fraknowo) was part of the Kirchspiel Skottau (now Szkotowo). The churchyard was in Skottau, so yes it is at least plausible, that the burial place was Skottau.

Best

Michael
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:30 pm      Post subject: Please translate 2 postcards

Hello Michael,

I am helping a dear friend to piece together what is left of her family after WWII. They were Polish Jews living in Sosnowiec at the time of the Nazi invasion. The postcards and some letters are all that is left, but they are written in German. She has kept them all these years, but has no idea what they say. I know they are written by members of the Falkowicz family to their daughter, Sara, who was at a German labor camp early in the war. We are hoping the postcards may contain some clues about her extended family that we can trace.

Would you please help us by translating the postcards and letters a bit at a time as I post them? It would be a great help to our research and a comfort to my friend whose entire family except for her parents, were murdered in the camps. I am posting images of both sides of the postcards. Here are the first two.

Thank you for your help,
Cynthia

postcard 09101942-2.jpg
 Description:
card dated 10 Sept 1942 side 2
 Filesize:  988.48 KB
 Viewed:  9419 Time(s)

postcard 09101942-2.jpg

postcard 09101942-1.jpg
 Description:
card dated 10 Sept 1942 side 1
 Filesize:  792.46 KB

postcard 09101942-1.jpg

postcard 05071942-2.jpg
 Description:
card dated 07 May 1942 side 2
 Filesize:  994.64 KB

postcard 05071942-2.jpg

postcard 05071942-1.jpg
 Description:
card dated 07 May 1942 side 1
 Filesize:  781.06 KB

postcard 05071942-1.jpg

Send e-mail
Kmichael8

Post Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:11 am      Post subject: Re: Please translate 2 postcards

mcdonald0517 wrote:
Hello Michael,

I am helping a dear friend to piece together what is left of her family after WWII. They were Polish Jews living in Sosnowiec at the time of the Nazi invasion. The postcards and some letters are all that is left, but they are written in German. She has kept them all these years, but has no idea what they say. I know they are written by members of the Falkowicz family to their daughter, Sara, who was at a German labor camp early in the war. We are hoping the postcards may contain some clues about her extended family that we can trace.

Would you please help us by translating the postcards and letters a bit at a time as I post them? It would be a great help to our research and a comfort to my friend whose entire family except for her parents, were murdered in the camps. I am posting images of both sides of the postcards. Here are the first two.

Thank you for your help,
Cynthia

Hello Cynthia,

The first postcard was written in Sosnowitz on May 7, 1942 and stamped the same day at 7 p.m. in Sosnowitz / Oberschlesien. The adress of the sender is J. Felkowicz in Sosnowitz, Zobtengasse 8. I am unsure about the initial, it does not fit to the signature. The card was sent to Miss Sara Felkowicz in Golonog O/S (Oberschlesien). There is the additional information R.B. Lager in the adress field. This might stand for Reichsbahn camp, but I have no proof for it.

The German version (the line break is according to the original):

Liebe Sara
Dein Schreiben haben wir mit viel
Freude gelesen. Gute Nachrichten
von Dir verschaffen uns das einzige
Vergnügen; man hat doch nur
Sorgen u. [und] Kummer.
In den letzten Tagen hat sich
die allgemeine Stimmung verändert.
Du hast, liebe Sara, keine Ursache
um uns zu sorgen. Es droht
uns keine Gefahr. Sei ruhig und
denke an Dich.
Die rituelle Küche ist schon veranstaltet
worden, wir d.h. sechs Personen genießen
von ihr u. wir sind ganz zufrieden.
Die lieben Eltern sind gesund u. wir
alle fühlen uns wohl. Wir danken
Dir für die 8 M [Reichsmark], es war aber eine
Dummheit, daß Du uns Geld übersandt hast.
Wenn Du noch heute einen freien Moment
findest, schreibe an den Aron ( 8 ), sie fühlen
sich sehr beleidigt, Du hast von Ihnen
keinen Abschied genommen. Ich küsse Dich neuerlich
(Name unleserlich)

Dear Sara
We read your letter with much joy. Good news from you are our only pleasure; we just have troubles and hardships . In the past few days the general mood changed. You, dear Sara, don´t have any reason to care about us. There is no danger for us. Keep calm and look after yourself.
The „rituelle Küche“ [don‘t know what that means exactly] is already organized, we i.e. six people enjoy from it and we are quite pleased.
The loving parents are healthy and we all feel well. Thank you for the 8 mark, but it was stupid to send us the money. If you find a spare moment today, write to Araon ( 8 ), they feel insulted, you did not say farewell to them. I kiss you again.
Yours (name illegible).

The second postcard was written in Sosnowitz on September 10, 1942 and stamped one day later at 3 p.m. in Sosnowitz / Oberschlesien. The adress of the sender is W. Felkowicz in Sosnowitz, Zobtengasse 8. The card was sent to Sara Felkowicz in Golonog, R.B. Lager (see comment above). In the middle of the front page is stamped „Einlieferer: Aeltestenrat der Jüdischen Kultusgemeinde in Sosnowitz O.S. [Oberschlesien] Sammelstelle für Postsendungen“.

Liebe Sara
Wir haben schon lange von Dir keine Nachricht
bekommen. Hast Du das Paketchen mit dem
schwarzen Kleid erhalten? Ist es nicht zu kurz?
Zasse hat es bearbeitet, wußte aber nicht ge-
nau die Größe. Heute habe ich Dir nun 2 Wasch-
pulver u. [und] 3. Riv [unsure] abgesandt. Schreibe mir genau
was Du von den Kleidern u. von Kleinig-
brauchst, wir werden Dir alles schicken.
Wir haben Dir nichts besonderes zu schreiben.
Die l. [lieben] Eltern sind gesund u. wir auch. Wir arbei-
ten fleißig, ich habe es jetzt auch sehr eilig.
Wir wünschen Dir, liebe Sara (The name written here looks different from the name in the first line. This might be, because it was written in a hurry) ein glückliches
Jahr! Gebe G_t_ [Gott] daß wir uns in kurzem
alle wiedersehen u. freuen können. Wir sehnen
uns nach Dir sehr. Sei gesund, meine Liebe
u. fühle Dich wohl. Ich küsse Dich. Deine (Name unleserlich)

Dear Sara
For a long time we have received no message from you.
Did you receive the small parcel with the black dress? Is it not too short?
(Zasse) processed it but did not know exactly the size.
Today I send you 2 wasching powder and 3. Riv. (?) Write down
precisely what you need of the dresses and of the little
things, we will send you everything.
We have here nothing special to write.
The loving parents are healthy and so are we. We work
hard, I am in a hurry now.
We wish you, dear Sara,a happy year! May God grant
that we all will meet again and rejoice soon. We long for you.
Be healthy my dear and feel good. I kiss you.
Yours (name illegible).
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:20 am      Post subject:

Hello Michael,

I can't thank you enough for translating the postcards. I can't wait to share the translations with my friend. It is so bittersweet to read them - the ordinariness of daily life and the love of family in the midst of extraordinary times of terror and horror.

Thank you again. I will post another 2 later this week.

Best regards,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:26 pm      Post subject: Please translate 2 postcards

Hello Michael,

Here are the next 2 postcards. Please translate them when you have the time.

If it is helpful, some of the Felkowicz family names are: Wolf, Lejb (Leib), Krejndel, Sara, Sofie, Eugenia, and Yentle.

Thank you!
Cynthia

postcard 08141942-2.jpg
 Description:
postcard dated 14 Aug 1942 side 2
 Filesize:  957.57 KB
 Viewed:  9418 Time(s)

postcard 08141942-2.jpg

postcard 08141942-1.jpg
 Description:
postcard dated 14 Aug 1942 side 1
 Filesize:  857.76 KB

postcard 08141942-1.jpg

postcard 05191942-2.jpg
 Description:
Postcard dated 19 May 1942 side 2
 Filesize:  301.46 KB

postcard 05191942-2.jpg

postcard 05191942-1.jpg
 Description:
Postcard dated 19 May 1942 side 1
 Filesize:  254.01 KB

postcard 05191942-1.jpg

Send e-mail
Kmichael8

Post Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:50 am      Post subject: Re: Translation Please

BobJan wrote:
I have two docs in German that I would appreciate translations. Here is the first; the marriage of Heinrich Hoffman and Margaret Lang

This is for BobJan.

Please find attached a ttranslation of the two docs you posted quite a while ago.

Best regards

Michael

The German version of the marriage record of Heinrich Hofmann and Magaret Lang

No 10
Mairie von Großsteinhausen Gemeinde-Bezirk von Zweibrücken.
Vom dritten Tag des Monats Ventos Jahr Elf der fränkischen Republik.

Heuraths-Akte von Heinrich Hofman des Alters von zweiundzwanzig Jahren,
gebohren zu Riedelberg Departements Donnersberg den zweiten (?) des Monats May
Jahr 1782 seines Standes Maurer wohnhaft zu Riedelberg Departements Donnersberg
Sohn von Daniel Hofmann wohnhaft zu Riedelberg Departements Donnersberg
und der Maria Eva Spaetz (?) beite (beide ?) gesetzlich verehligt

Und von Margareta Lang des Alters von achzehn Jahren, gebohren
zu Großsteinhausen Departments Donnersberg den fünvzehnten des Monats Merz Jahr
1789 wohnhaft zu Großsteinhausen Departments Donnersberg Tochter von Georg Lang junior
Ackersmann wohnhaft zu Großsteinhausen Departments Donnersberg und von Maria Fromholz
Die Eheleute sind volljährig.

Die Präliminar-Akten sind ausgezogen aus den Registern der Heuraths-Verkündigungen, welche statt gefunden
zu Großsteinhausen und angeschlagen nach dem Willen des
Gesetzes dem (?) sechzehnten und die Geburtsscheine der Eheleuten, alles in gehöriger Form;
Von allen welchen Akten von mir dem öffentlichen Beamten, dem Gesetz gemäß, Lesung ertheilt worden ist.

Gesagte Eheleute, anwesend, haben erklärt, daß sie eheligen wollen, der eine die Margareta Lang
die andere  den Heinrich Hofmann

In Gegenwart von Georg Lang junior wohnhaft zu Großsteinhausen Departments Donnersberg
seines Standes Ackersmann des Alters von einundsechzig (?) Jahren
Von Daniel Hofmann wohnhaft zu Riedelberg Departments Donnersberg seines
Standes Maurer des Alters von fünfundfünfzig Jahren
Von Jacob Lang wohnhaft zu Großsteinhausen Departments Donnersberg seines
Standes Ackersmann des Alters von achtundzwanzig Jahren
Und von Heinrich Arber (?) wohnhaft zu Großsteinhausen Departments Donnersberg des
Standes Ackersmann des Alters von achtundzwanzig Jahren

Worauf ich Adam Weber Maire von Großsteinhausen die Verrichtungen eines öffentlichen Beamten
des Civilstandes versehend, gesprochen habe, daß im Namen des Gesetzes gesagte Eheleute im Stand der Ehe vereiniget
sind. Und haben gesagte Eheleute und Zeugen mit mir unterschrieben (Unterschriften)

The English version

No 10
Town hall of Großsteinhausen district of Zweibrücken.
On the third day of the month Ventos year eleven of the French Republic. [The Departement Donnersberg is today part of Rhineland-Palatinate. Around 1800 is was part of the French Republic and had introduced the French calendar. So the date given here should be February 22, 1803.]

Marriage record of Heinrich Hofman of the age of twenty two years born in Riedelberg Departement Donnersberg the second (?) of the month of May year 1782 hie profession mason resinding in Riedelberg Departement Donnersberg son of Daniel Hofman residing in Riedelberg Departement Donnersberg
and of Maria Eva Spaetz (?) the two of them legally married

And of Margareta Lang of the age of eighteen years born in Großsteinhausen Department Donnersberg the fifteenth of the month of March year 1789 residing in Großsteinhausen Department Donnersberg daughter of Georg Lang junior, ploughman residing in Großsteinhausen Department Donnersberg and of Maria Fromholz
The spouses are of age.

The necessary preliminary formalities for the marriage have been undertaken in Großsteinhausen due to the intention of the law on the sixteenth and the birth records of the spouses, all in due form; All these records were read aloud by me the public servant according to the law.

The referred to spouses, present, have declared, that they want to marry, the one the Margareta Lang, the other the Heinrich Hofmann

In the presence of Georg Lang junior resinding in Großsteinhausen Department Donnersberg his profession ploughman of the age of sixty one (?) years
of Daniel Hofmann resinding in Riedelberg Department Donnersberg his profession mason of the age of fifty five years
of Jacob Lang resinding in Großsteinhausen Department Donnersberg his profession ploughman of the age of twenty eight years
and of Heinrich Arber (?) resinding in Großsteinhausen Department Donnersberg his profession ploughman of the age of twenty eight years.

Whereupon I Adam Weber Mayor of Großsteinhausen exercising the obligations of a public servant of the civil registration, declared, that in the name of the law the referred to spouses are wedded in the status of marriage. And the referred to spouses and witnesses have signed with me (signatures of mayor, spouses and witnesses; there is a „X“ between the first name and the name of Margaretha Lang with the comment „Handzeichen“ (mark))

The German version of the death recorf of Theobald Hofmann

No 26
Mairie von Großsteinhausen Gemeinde-Bezirk von Zweibrücken.
Vom dritten Tag des Monats Fructidor Jahr Elf der fränkischen Republik.

Sterbe-Akt von Theobald Hofmann von Walshausen verschieden den zweiten um fünf Uhr des nachmittags seines 
Standes ein Kind des Alters von fünf Monat --- Jahren, gebohren
zu Walshausen Departments Donnersberg wohnhaft zu Walshausen

Auf die Deklaration die mir gemacht worden von dem Bürger Adam Hofmann junior
wohnhaft zu Walshausen seines Standes Ackersmann als welcher gesagt, er sey Theobald Hofmann
Verstorbenen; und vom Bürger Emil Hofmann wohnhaft zu Walshausen seines Standes
Ackersmann als welcher gesagt, er sey Theobald Hofmann Verstorbenen:
Und haben unterschrieben (Unterschriften Adam Hofmann junior & Emil Hofmann)

Beurkundet von mir Adam Weber Maire von Großsteinhausen die Verrichtungen eines
öffentlichen Beamten des Civilstandes versehend, hierends unterschrieben (Unterschrift Adam Weber, Maire)

The English version

No 26
Town hall of Großsteinhausen district of Zweibrücken.
On the third day of the month Fructidor year eleven of the French Republic [August 21, 1803].

Death record of Theobald Hofmann from Walshausen deceased the second at five o‘clock in the afternoon his profession a child of the age of five months --- years, born in Walshausen Department Donnersberg residing in Walshausen

On the declaration that was made to me by citizen Adam Hofmann junior residing in Walshausen his profession ploughman who said that he was Theobald Hofmann deceased [seems to be a misunderstanding of the mayor: should give a relationship between witness and deacesed like father of but repeats only the name of the deceased]; and by citizen Emil Hofmann residing in Walshausen his profession ploughman who said that he was Theobald Hofmann deceased [see comment above]: and signed (signatures of Adam Hofmann junior and Emil Hofmann)

Certified by me Adam Weber Mayor of Großsteinhausen exercising the obligations of a public servant of the civil registration, hereby signed (signature Adam Weber, Maire)
MikeChrzanowski

Replies: 11

Post Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:02 am      Post subject: Birth Record - Agnes Zajac

Thank you so much Michael. I am confused regarding your comment on maiden name. Can you explain why this birth record for Agnes Zajac shows Juskowiak as her mother's maiden name instead of Cieslak as indicated on the marriage record for Agnes's parents, Andrez and Marianna? Do you think Agnes' grandmother's maiden name was simply reported in error as her mother's maiden name? Have you ever seen this sort of error on other documents?
Send e-mail
Kmichael8

Post Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:13 am      Post subject: Re: Birth Record - Agnes Zajac

MikeChrzanowski wrote:
Thank you so much Michael. I am confused regarding your comment on maiden name. Can you explain why this birth record for Agnes Zajac shows Juskowiak as her mother's maiden name instead of Cieslak as indicated on the marriage record for Agnes's parents, Andrez and Marianna? Do you think Agnes' grandmother's maiden name was simply reported in error as her mother's maiden name? Have you ever seen this sort of error on other documents?

Hello Mike,

I can only speculate what really happened, but generally the quality of data given in the early civil records seems to be poor.

To start with it used to be more the rule than an exception that the person giving the information was “known by personality” i.e. the registrar had no other proof than what he was told and what he knew beforehand. Specially - but not only - in death records quite often the maiden name, the date or the place of birth of the deceased are given as “unknown”. In your case we have a German / Polish communication and maybe there happened just a misunderstanding e.g. that the name of the mother-in-law was asked for and the name of the godmother was given.

In some cases errors were detected and corrected later by the civil registrar. From my own family I have a civil record from 1904 where the status of the mother-in-law is given as deceased. That was corrected a year later: she was still alive. So yes, errors happened and I would assume in your case just an error happened.

Best regards,

Michael
Kmichael8

Post Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:02 pm      Post subject: Re: Please translate 2 postcards

mcdonald0517 wrote:
Hello Michael,

Here are the next 2 postcards. Please translate them when you have the time.

If it is helpful, some of the Felkowicz family names are: Wolf, Lejb (Leib), Krejndel, Sara, Sofie, Eugenia, and Yentle.

Thank you!
Cynthia

Hello Cynthia,

Please find attached a translation of the two postcards. Regarding the family names there is a huge disclaimer. I tried to cross check them with an address book but the only one I found is a business directory (Deutsches Reichs-Adressbuch: die Ostgebiete, Ausgabe 1941). In Marktstr. 1 Anton Blajer had a “Kolonialwarengroßhandlung” (a grocery store) while in Zobtengasse 8 there was Rom. Fedyk’s “Obst- und Gemüsehandlung” (a green crocer). That does not really help with the Felkowicz family names. I am working on it.

Best regards

Michael

The first postcard was written in Sosnowitz on May 19, 1942 and stamped one day later at 8 a.m. in Sosnowitz / Oberschlesien. The adress of the sender is X. Felkowicz in Sosnowitz, Zobtengasse 8. I am unsure about the initial, it does not fit to the signature. The card was sent to Miss Sara Felkowicz in Golonog O/S (Oberschlesien).

Liebe Sara.
Heute ist es schon viel besser. Dank der Zone (?)
brauchen wir uns nicht zu fürchten, Du kannst ganz
ruhig sein. Ich komme jetzt von der Arbeit,
die ist mir so unangenehm, wie sie Dir war. Ich kann
nicht so sinnlos arbeiten, wie die anderen.
Nur weiter, man muß stark sein u. [und] sich fassen
anders geht es nicht. – Wie ist‘s mit Dir, Sara.
Du schreibst so wenig. Ich denke sehr oft an Dich,
ich möchte so gern mit Dir sprechen. – Wenn
ich schon eine mehr fassende Beschäftigung
bekommen, werde ich schon ein wenig zufrieden
sein. Vorläufig ist es mit uns ziemlich gut.
Arbeite ruhig, Sara, und denke an Dich. Ist es
alles bei Dir in Ordnung. Wir erwarten einen Brief.
Wir grüßen Dich herzlich. Deine (Name unleserlich)

The English version:

Dear Sara.
Today it is much better. Due to the zone (?) there is no reason for us to fear, you can keep calm. I am returning from work and it is as unplesant for me as it was for you. I cannot work pointlessly as the others. Carry on, you have to be strong and compose yourself, there is no other way. What about you, Sara. You write so little. I often think of you, I would like so much to talk with you. – If I could get a more meanigful work I would be more satiesfied. For the time being it is rather okay for us. Work calm, Sara, and take care for yourself. Is everything okay with you. We expect a letter. We send you warm greetings. Yours (name illegible).

The socond postcard was written in Sosnowitz on August 14, 1942 and stamped the same day at 2 p.m. in Sosnowitz / Oberschlesien. The adress of the sender is W. Pächtor (?) in Sosnowitz, Marktstr. 1. The card was sent to Miss Sara Felkowicz in Golonog O/S (Oberschlesien). This postcard is writen in a more formal style, using the German "Sie" instead of "Du". To adress one's own family with "the" ("die Eltern", "der Vater") instead of "my" ("meine Eltern", "mein Vater") is rather unusual today but was a frequent practice at that time.

Liebes Fräulein!
Ich habe eine lange Zeit von Ihnen kein
Schreiben erhalten. Ich möchte gerne wissen,
wie es Ihnen geht ob Sie gesund sind
u. [und] ob alles bei Ihnen in Ordnung ist.
Bei uns nichts Neues. Wir arbeiten
u. [und] fühlen uns wohl. Am Sonntag war ich
mit der Schwester auf Heinrichs Hochzeit.
Die Eltern konnten nicht gehen, weil der
Vater sich nicht gut fühlte. Es waren viele Verwan-
dte u. [und] Bekannten. Er sendet Ihnen einen herzlichen
Gruß. Ich erwarte von Ihnen ein Schreiben
u. [und] Grüße Sie herzlich, wie meine Schwester
Vater und Mutter (Unterschrift unleserlich)
Grüße von Familie (Name unleserlich)

The English version:

Dear Miss!
For a long time I have received no message from you. I would like to know how you are whether you are healthy and whether everything is okay with you. With us there is nothing new. We work hard and feel well. Sunday I attended Heinrich‘s wedding with the sister. The parents could not come, cause the father felt unwell. There were many relatives and friends. He sends you warm greetings. I expect a letter from you and send you warm greetings, like my sister, father und mother (signature illegible)
Greetings from the (name illegible) family
vcorb
PolishOrigins Patron

Replies: 57

Post Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:08 pm      Post subject: Michael Renn-Anna Katherine Kreise-marriage1803

Hello,
I have attached a marriage record 1803 - for Michael Renn and Anna Katherine Kriese or Kriesen/from Czerniejewo (Schwarzenau) The Archives in Gniezno, who sent it to me, said it was in German. Can someone please translate it for me? If the record is not in German, can you please advise so that I can post it to the correct forum. Also, if I need to enlarge the picture, please advise. I do not have an internet source for it because the Archives sent it to me in the format shown.

Thank you and kind regards,

Vicky

MichaelRenn-AnnaKatherinemarriage1803.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  143.49 KB
 Viewed:  9417 Time(s)

MichaelRenn-AnnaKatherinemarriage1803.jpg

Kmichael8

Post Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:21 am      Post subject: Re: Michael Renn-Anna Katherine Kreise-marriage1803

vcorb wrote:
Hello,
I have attached a marriage record 1803 - for Michael Renn and Anna Katherine Kriese or Kriesen/from Czerniejewo (Schwarzenau) The Archives in Gniezno, who sent it to me, said it was in German. Can someone please translate it for me? If the record is not in German, can you please advise so that I can post it to the correct forum. Also, if I need to enlarge the picture, please advise. I do not have an internet source for it because the Archives sent it to me in the format shown.

Thank you and kind regards,

Vicky

Hello Vicky,

The marriage record is in German. The German text is:

September 11 Renn, Michael ein Jggs: [Junggeselle] Knecht in Gemelinke, des xxx (?), Valentin, Renn
Eigenthümers in Paderzewo hinterlasssener jüngster Sohn gebohren in Paderzewo. Mit
Jgfr. [Jungfrau} Anna, Katharina, Kriesen, Magd in Gemelinke, des Christoph, Kriese Eigenth. [Eigenthümers]
zu Zokolnik vierten Tochter gebohren in Zokolnik

The English version:

September 11 Renn, Michael a bachelor farmhand in Gemelinke, youngest son of the deceased xxx (?) Valentin Renn, owner in Paderzewo, born in Paderzewo. With virgin Anna Katharina Kriesen [The suffix -n, also –en or –in, indicates a female person] handmaid in Gemelinke, fourth daughter of Christoph Kriese, owner in Zokolnik, born in Zokolnik

Best regards

Michael
vcorb
PolishOrigins Patron

Replies: 57

Post Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:43 pm      Post subject: Michael Renn-Anna Katherine Kreise marriage 1803

Michael,
Thank you very much for the translation on the marriage record for Michael Renn and Anna Kreisen. It has helped me to learn more about our family. I appreciate your time and work on it.

Kind regards,
Vicky
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 93, 94, 95  Next Page 6 of 95

Jump to: