PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 4

Post Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:19 am      Post subject: Surname Search: Kowacz, Hydzik, Swoboda, Dziuban +variants

Hello all! I haven't been able to get very far in my search of Polish ancestors. Currently, I am studying Kowacz, which is my mother's maiden name. Her great-grandfather, Ludwik Kowacz (also spelled Ludwig or in America, Louis) and his wife Jozefa (Americanized to Josephine) Hydzik married in ~1907 and came to America the same year. On his death certificate, it names his father as Joseph (Jozef?) Kowacz and his mother as Amelia Svoboda, although another document spells her last name as Swoboda, which I'm pretty confident is the correct spelling.

Jozefa's last name is spelled differently in some sources as Hadzik, Hedzik, or replacing the -k at the end with a -ck. However, the oldest documents, including the ship's manifest spells it Hydzik. On her siblings' death certificates, it names their father as Andrew (Andrzej?) Hydzik. However, on her brother's death certificate it names their mother Anna Dzuban, and on her sister's death certificate it names their mother as Anna Deiuban. Another document spells the last name as Dziuban.

The ship's manifest states that Ludwik and Jozefa are from Uzel (Autria?), but all the later documents Ludwik fills out says Lisko/Lesko, Podkarpackie, Poland or Galicia, Poland/Autria (even Croatia once). If anyone can point me in the direction for further research on these surnames or family members, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1786

Post Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:19 am      Post subject: Re: Surname Search: Kowacz, Hydzik, Swoboda, Dziuban +varian

SierraPerez wrote:
Hello all! I haven't been able to get very far in my search of Polish ancestors. Currently, I am studying Kowacz, which is my mother's maiden name. Her great-grandfather, Ludwik Kowacz (also spelled Ludwig or in America, Louis) and his wife Jozefa (Americanized to Josephine) Hydzik married in ~1907 and came to America the same year. On his death certificate, it names his father as Joseph (Jozef?) Kowacz and his mother as Amelia Svoboda, although another document spells her last name as Swoboda, which I'm pretty confident is the correct spelling.

Jozefa's last name is spelled differently in some sources as Hadzik, Hedzik, or replacing the -k at the end with a -ck. However, the oldest documents, including the ship's manifest spells it Hydzik. On her siblings' death certificates, it names their father as Andrew (Andrzej?) Hydzik. However, on her brother's death certificate it names their mother Anna Dzuban, and on her sister's death certificate it names their mother as Anna Deiuban. Another document spells the last name as Dziuban.

The ship's manifest states that Ludwik and Jozefa are from Uzel (Autria?), but all the later documents Ludwik fills out says Lisko/Lesko, Podkarpackie, Poland or Galicia, Poland/Autria (even Croatia once). If anyone can point me in the direction for further research on these surnames or family members, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Hi Sierra,

The attached 1878 marriage from the parish of Sanok looks like it is likely the wedding of the parents of Józefa/Josephine. It is the third marriage on the attached screenshot. Lesko is close to Sanok. The not so good news is that the records for Sanok are not online and are housed in the parish archive in Sanok which would necessitate contacting the parish in order to obtain a copy of the actual marriage record.

Wishing you success,

Dave

Screenshot_2019-06-18 mapa szukacz pl - Mapa Polski z planami miast(1).png
 Description:
 Filesize:  739 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Screenshot_2019-06-18 mapa szukacz pl - Mapa Polski z planami miast(1).png

Screenshot_2019-06-18 Geneteka baza Polskiego Towarzystwa Genealogicznego.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  187.34 KB

Screenshot_2019-06-18 Geneteka baza Polskiego Towarzystwa Genealogicznego.png

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1786

Post Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:27 am      Post subject: Re: Surname Search: Kowacz, Hydzik, Swoboda, Dziuban +varian

SierraPerez wrote:

Hi Sierra,

The attached screenshot lists the 1907 marriage record for Ludwik Kowacz & Józefa Hyzik. Same place and the same story about getting a copy.

Hope this helps you.

Dave

Screenshot_2019-06-18 Geneteka baza Polskiego Towarzystwa Genealogicznego(1).png
 Description:
 Filesize:  58.58 KB

Screenshot_2019-06-18 Geneteka baza Polskiego Towarzystwa Genealogicznego(1).png

SierraPerez

Post Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:45 pm      Post subject: Re: Surname Search: Kowacz, Hydzik, Swoboda, Dziuban +varian

dnowicki wrote:
SierraPerez wrote:

Hi Sierra,

The attached screenshot lists the 1907 marriage record for Ludwik Kowacz & Józefa Hyzik. Same place and the same story about getting a copy.

Hope this helps you.

Dave

Thank you so much! The links have helped out a lot.
jconroy

Replies: 1

Post Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:11 pm      Post subject:

Hi Sierra,

You stated everything I know about my family! I was meeting with my uncle today to discuss genealogy and we happened upon your post. My great grandparents were Louis & Josephine Kowacz. My grandmother. Stella Kowacz Cox is their daughter. Are you related to this side of the family?
SierraPerez

Post Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:15 am      Post subject:

jconroy wrote:
Hi Sierra,

You stated everything I know about my family! I was meeting with my uncle today to discuss genealogy and we happened upon your post. My great grandparents were Louis & Josephine Kowacz. My grandmother. Stella Kowacz Cox is their daughter. Are you related to this side of the family?

I am! My great-grandfather was Adam Kowacz, their son. Sadly, I don't have much contact with that side of family, as much as I would like to.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: