PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 177

Post Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:30 pm      Post subject: Passenger Manifest Dilemma

My wife's ancestors came over in two batches. The husband "Istwan Dubovic" and his daughter Maria boarded a ship on 1 March 1882 called the "Sultan" in Hamburg, with destination of New York via Liverpool. That's where the dilemma comes in. That ship seems to have disappeared, and I haven't found any record of it arriving in America. We know he arrived, because his wife and five children immigrated six months later and the re-united family eventually settled in Cleveland. We found both the Hamburg manifest, and the New York arrival manifest for his wife and children, so that batch isn't a problem. The Hamburg manifests lists Maria's age as 11, but she was really 17, and the family story is that she wound up meeting someone in New York, getting married, and moving off to Leadville, Colorado, never to be heard from again.

Attached is the page from the Hamburg manifest for Istwan and his daughter.

My first thought was that he might have transferred to another ship in Liverpool, and might appear on a different ship's arrival manifest. The problem is that he doesn't show up in any indexed manifests (which he should) if he had changed ships.

Another possibility is that the ship actually didn't wind up in New York, but went somewhere else, where the records aren't yet available.

I'd be interested to hear what others think about it, and if you have any recommendations about next steps.

Thanks in advance,
Richard

1882 Stephen Dubovicky and Maria Hamburg Departure Manifest-a.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  527.48 KB
 Viewed:  3970 Time(s)

1882 Stephen Dubovicky and Maria Hamburg Departure Manifest-a.jpg

Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:18 pm      Post subject:

They seem to have switched to the ship British Queen. Indexed on Castle Garden as "Daloric." 40 year old "Isho" and 11 year old Maria.
Arrived 22 March 1882.
I deduced this by looking at other passengers who were on the manifest page that you posted, the Wawrik family, and then I looked at who else was on their ship the British Queen to see what magnificent mis-spelling of Dubovic was preventing you from finding them.
Best,
Sophia
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:15 am      Post subject:

P.S. Despite the fact that I found them on the Castle Garden website, if you want to see the manifest, you need to know that the ship actually went to Philadelphia, arriving on 23rd March 1882. You can see the manifest on Ancestry, if you have a subscription. Search Ancestry with the spelling "Dalaric" and you will find Maria. When you pull up the manifest image, you will also see her father. Simply a case of Ancestry and Castle Garden having indexed them slightly differently. Similarly, the two passengers who are indexed on Castle Garden as "Wawrik" are on Ancestry as "Wawick."

Best,
Sophia

Last edited by Sophia on Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:24 am; edited 1 time in total
rsowa
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 177

Post Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:22 am      Post subject:

Sophia...THANK YOU! Your help let me zero in on the record. In case others need to do something similar, here's what I wound up doing.

First, after checking the Castle Garden site, I went through every New York arrival manifest on that date, looking for the ship British Queen, without any success.

Second, I read the fine print on the Castle Garden, and realized that Castle Garden web site actually indexed records for ports other than New York. But their search results don't tell you that.

Third, I Googled the ship name and found http://www.norwayheritage.com/p_ship.asp?sh=brqu3 where it docked in Philadelphia on 21 March.

Fourth, I used FamilySearch https://familysearch.org/search/collection/1908535 to get the manifest pages for arrivals in Philadelphia. Then I did a search for first name "Isho" and got the record for "Isho Dalosic". So it also appears that the Castle Garden and FamilySearch sites indexed his surname differently as well.

But regardless, your help and insight helped us find the record...we can't express our thanks enough!

The lesson in all of this is that two heads are better than one. And sometimes the records show up where you least expect them!

Thanks again, Richard
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research Resources, Tools & Tips All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: