PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 304

Post Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:54 am      Post subject: Please help finding outside Poland:Kluz, Flejszar-Vanderbilt

Hello Smile
This is my second time i ask for help. I am not so experienced in research in USA but cant find some part of family.

First member is Wojciech Kluz, he was born in Wysoka 17 of march 1887, Galicia and went to USA in around 1906/7 yr. He married to Anna Błaszczak there between 1907-1910. Anna came to USA two years earlier than Wojciech. They had child born there - Helena Kluz in 11 of may 1910 - i hope this is accurate. They left USA and came back in 1913.
So i suppose there would be marriage record, birth record and 1910 census, but i know 1910 census didnt cover all people.
The ellisisland passenger record for Wojciech is Vluza, Wojsiech with arrival date 9th october 1906. This is probably his manifest, because i didnt found any better one. He was going to b-in-law Zembroń in Vanderbilt, but none of his bros and sis married to Zembroń, maybe he put false data or this is far relation to other family.
Maybe there would be some data on Ancestry.

Second member i look for is Wojciech Flejszar from Wysoka, Galicia, born 09 of march 1892. He came to USA in 29 Aug 1910, he was heading to b-in-law Stefan Perkman in Vanderbilt PA. On passenger list his surname is Flejozar. I cannot find anything else bout him.

Thanks for any assistance.
Edziu340

Replies: 29

Post Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:44 pm      Post subject:

Sir Dan, Many people from Wysoka resettled in the Uniontown Pa. area, this is south of Pittsburgh Pa. Try searching those cencus records from Uniontown Pa. Some of my family from Wysoka settled in Uniontown area.
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:41 pm      Post subject:

Hi Sirdan,

Take a look at the 1910 census for "George Kluse" which you can see on Familysearch.org if you do not have access to Ancestry.com . The pronunciation of Kluse and Kluz would be very similar. George was the name often chosen by men named Wojciech once they lived in the U.S. His wife's name is given as Annie which is a match for your Anna. There is already a child, Julia, but since the census for 1910 was taken in April, the child Helena does not show up yet. This family lived in Dunbar, Pennsylvania, which is very very close to Vanderbilt.

What do you think?

Best regards,
Sophia
sirdan
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:32 am      Post subject:

@Edziu, thanks for the info.
I still have in mind your printed list of some family members, i cannot find a connection though.

@Sophia
Interesting record. All boarders have typical names from Wysoka. I didnt know about Julia earlier, maybe she didnt survive?
One question about the record. It says George Kluse was born in Pennsylvania, at the same states his year of immigration. What would be accurate info?

EDIT: Wow, i just found out that Jędrzej (Andrzej), brother of Wojciech has arrived to USA in nov 1909. He might be listed as Kluse Anela? or Anda, i suppose "rzej" was hard to speak or write for american. Why all boarder was listed as single? Might be this information taken as inaccurate? Andrzej was married at that time. What you think Sophia?
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:05 am      Post subject:

Hi Sirdan,

Regarding the 1910 census, you are right that it makes no sense to say George Kluse was born in Pennsylvania and then give his year of immigration. As to which is correct, that cannot be known from only one record. You are asking if it is possible that the man on line 39 is his brother Andrzej. That is possible. Now, USUALLY, if this was the case, he would be listed as "brother" in the column that asks about his relationship to the head of household (who is George) but here he is listed as a "boarder." In this case, I accept it as boarder, for the one reason that there is a note in the very left column of the page that the tenement where they all live is owned by the W.J. Rainey Company. That is an unusual note. So maybe the census enumerator felt it was more accurate to say that this Kluse was a boarder. You see that so many of the people boarding at this address work at the coke plant (it means coke, the fuel made from coal, of course) and there is such a long list of them, the accuracy of their details may not be very good. So is that Wojciech's brother Andrzej? No way to be sure from only one record. But it does seem possible.

Now I will give you a big headache. There is a birth record for a Julia, whose mother was Anna Blaszczak. She was born in Vanderbilt, Pennsylvania. However...... she was born in 1906 and did not get the birth certificate issued until 1942. By then, she was living in Michigan and her mother Anna had moved back to Poland. Julia's father is not Wojciech Kluz, but Albert Miedlar. So you have to wonder if the Julia we see on the 1910 census is from Anna's first marriage. Yes, I know, the census says that George is her first marriage. Still, you can also see the census says that George and Anna are in their 0 year of marriage but Julia is 1 year old. In fact, if this birth certificate is correct, Julia is actually 3 years old, but maybe that raises too many questions when the census enumerator comes to the door... So, did Anna return to Poland with Wojciech and Julia, but Julia returned later? Was Anna's husband Albert also from Wysoka? Does the name Miedlar mean anything to you?

I will continue looking for other information that you asked for in your original post, but see what you think about this, for now.

Best,
Sophia

BirthJuliaMiedlar.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  642.4 KB
 Viewed:  14601 Time(s)

BirthJuliaMiedlar.jpg

Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:36 am      Post subject:

Hi again! Here is a great find. Look for "Juljanna Miedlar" on Familysearch.org and you will see her passport application. It gives Albert Klus as her stepfather. So here we have the entire Wojciech = Adalbert = Albert = George situation!! You can also see Juljanna returning to the U.S. in 1924.
Be sure to look at the NEXT image when you look at the passport application, because it gives the specifics of which church she was baptized in, and it also has her photo! Wow!
Best,
Sophia
sirdan
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:24 pm      Post subject:

Hi Sophia!
You are amazing. Smile How did you dig that papers. I would not find these without your help!

Considering Census record, basing on my experience - this kind of record is the most inacurate of all records when it comes to dates. The enumerator at this case was also especially not paying attention to names. I see Andrzej Kluz coming on same ship with many people from Wysoka, 4 of them looks like appear on census. Not all them go Vanderbilt, some go to Connellsville. Andrzej goes to his brother Wojciech to Connellsville. I suppose Wojciech moved to Vanderbilt and took other friends. Whats more, with Wojciech was going Józef Bednarski, another person from census. So many coinsidences? Or a hint?
I take your explanation about census marks.

And now the birth certificate. So many new info. The cert states "all info as of time of birth", but it looks like info comes from time of issue. Mother cannot be in Poland when giving birth in Vanderbilt. But.., Anna was married to Albert Międlar. Międlar is a surname known in my area, but not in my family. Anna lived in Krzemienica at 1942, what would be correct info. Julia probably married a Dudek - after coming back to usa - after the date 1924 yr.
So maybe my info was inaccurate, and in fact probably Julia went to poland with step-father in 1911. We dont know about Anna, she might travel with them or did back on 1913?
Still no sign of Helena. I found on familysearch Helena Klus visiting Michigan, born 9th may 1910 in Vanderberth PA. Isn't that wrong name of Vanderbilt?

I have no experience in obtaining records from usa parishes. Do you think its easy to get a copy of parish birth cert from Trinity church? According to online info, this parish does not exist anymore. At 1906 there were 180 families registered.
sirdan
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:25 am      Post subject:

I found Julia Dudek at the adress from birth certificate http://www.ancestry.com/1940-census/usa/Michigan/Roman-Dudek_2xkts6 1940 census is free, but other records below i cant access Sad
Elzbieta Porteneuve
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 3098

Post Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:53 am      Post subject:

Sirdan, Sophia,
I am fascinated by this search, learning a lot.

On Julianna Międlar application for passeport, done in 1924 in the US embassy in Warsaw (which means that names and places have a little less typos than elsewhere, both languages Polish and English in use), she states that her father Adalbert Miedlar immigrated to the US circa 1905, resided there for 6 years, and is deceased at the date of application.
Julianna states she was born 15 May 1906, in Vanderbilt, PA.

Familysearch.org for Wojciech Miedlar gives 2 entries in 1906:
1. resident of Vraczkowa immigration: 7 March 1906, 29 years, arriving from Antwerp (Belgium), ship name Vaderland
2. resident of Ruden (shall be Rudna Wielka?), immigration: 29 March 1906, 30 years, arriving from Hamburg (Germany), ship name Graf Waldersee

Vraczkowa is a typo, it is Kraczkowa on the manifest, very close to Łańcut.
Wojciech Miedlar from Kraczkowa has Marital Status: married on the ship manifest, is going to Wanderbilt, PA, to his brother in law Wladyslaw Peszko

Familysearch.org for Anna Blaszczak gives an entry in 1905, from Sonina, very close to Łańcut.
immigration: 13 April 1905, 20 years old; status married, going to her sister Jozefa Blaszczak, Connellsville, PA
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JF3T-N3L
departure port Bremen (Germany), arrival port New York, ship name Rhein

If Anna Blaszczak and Jozefa Blaszczak are sisters, then it is Anna's birth name.
Wojciech's brother in law Peszko vs Blaszczak, sounds similar, could be confused by non Polish ears.
Was Wojciech married to Anna in Poland?

Good luck!
Elzbieta

Vanderbilt-Connellsville-Dunbar.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  221.6 KB
 Viewed:  14557 Time(s)

Vanderbilt-Connellsville-Dunbar.JPG

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:01 pm      Post subject:

Sirdan, Elzbieta, & Sophia,

Here is the marriage license return for the marriage of Julia and her husband Andrzej Dudek. The marriage took place on September 7, 1925 in Detroit. This is a civil document and unfortunately there is not enough information to determine the name of the church were the wedding took place. The name of the priest does not yield any matches on a Google search.

Waclaw Kruszka's Historya.... probably will not help either since it was published in 1908 but it may come in handy for other research. There is no entry for Holy Trinity either, probably because Kruszka wrote the section on Poles in Pennsylvania around the time the parish was being founded (July, 1903). The book is in the public domain and can be found online. One place it is available online is from Harvard University Library. Elzbieta, that is where the historia par. sw. Michala and the story of our old friend ks. Adolf Nowicki came from. Sirdan, Kruszka's book may be of use to you for other research in the US. Holy Trinity became part of Immaculate Conception parish so the parish registers are probably kept there. I'm not sure whether you should contact the parish or the office above the parish contact information.

Just a little information about civil birth registrations in the USA....They are the responsibility of the various counties and before about 1920 many births were never recorded with the county. I'm not familiar with the practice in Pennsylvania but in Chicago in the early 20th Century it was the responsibility of the midwife or the physician who was present at the birth to register the birth with the county. Since most births took place at home with a midwife assisting it was usually her responsibility to file the registration and more often than not she did not file the registration. That is why Julia filed for a delayed certificate of birth. Neither my mother nor her siblings had their births recorded with the county. My mother did get a delayed certificate when she was in her mid twenties. Usually someone who was present at the birth (other than the baby) was supposed to testify to the facts of the birth. For my mother that was my grandmother but since Julia's mother was in Poland and they probably were unable to locate anyone in the US who was an adult present for her birth, the registrar accepted her testimony---most likely together with her baptismal certificate.

Sirdan, the other Dudek documents you listed require a paid subscription to Ancestry to be accessed. I do not have a subscription---actually I've never had one. When I wanted to use Ancestry in my research I used it at the local public library where I could use it za darmo. If no one who subscribes to Ancestry provides the documents for you, I will look for them at the library---but probably not until after the Christmas holidays.

Hope this helps you.

Dave

P.S. There was no Polish parish in Vanderbilt which is why Julia was baptized at Holy Trinity.

waclaw kruszka.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  148.29 KB

waclaw kruszka.JPG

record-image_S3HY-D1FL-B3.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  841.53 KB

record-image_S3HY-D1FL-B3.jpg

I.C. Connellsville.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  48.34 KB

I.C. Connellsville.JPG

holy trinity.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  178.35 KB

holy trinity.JPG

sirdan
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:01 pm      Post subject:

Hello! I want to thank you all for help and taking time writing replies. I m really grateful.

@Elżbieta
I found te records. Something tells me Anna Blaszczak passenger list is quite accurate, dont know about other people. Why would have she posses their maiden name, being even married. Strange. I have small info about this part of family, i cannot use backing info about relatives left in home or that they heading to. Not right now at least.
Just one tiny correction, Peszko is typical name here.
Ah one more, also thought Anna would marry Wojciech in Poland. Not enough info yet on that matter.

@Dave
Thaks for info, that was great job. The license, the civil document confirm other documents so its important. Great. Im not sure if want to dig in somebody's family, the marriage record would be sufficient for my needs. Birth records of Dudek children arent gonna shed more light, are they? Thank Dave for help at library, if You or anybody want to obtain that copies, this always would be great.
I must say, that just now have realized how close that towns are togheter, this area must have been centre of emmigrants from Łańcut surroundings. I see even more familiar towns than Elzbieta traced. Ancestors of many people posting on the forum might get to know there.
Ill look on that Kruszka Book, but so many volumes..
PolishLibrarian
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 311

Post Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:17 pm      Post subject:

dnowicki wrote:
Sirdan, Elzbieta, & Sophia,

Here is the marriage license return for the marriage of Julia and her husband Andrzej Dudek. The marriage took place on September 7, 1925 in Detroit. This is a civil document and unfortunately there is not enough information to determine the name of the church were the wedding took place. The name of the priest does not yield any matches on a Google search.
Hope this helps you. Dave

Sirdan, Dave~ For what it's worth, I found a Find A Grave record for Fr. Callistus Szpara who served at Our Lady of Angels in Detroit 1925-1929. http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=21466206 ~PL
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:41 pm      Post subject:

PL,

I'm sure that info will be of use to Sirdan since it provides the name of the parish where Julia was married---especially if he is not able to locate her baptismal record in Holy Trinity.

Sirdan,

Kruszka's book is certainly not something anyone would want to read completely. I've only bothered to read those entries which relate to places my relatives lived. A difficulty is that it is not set up in such a way where you just pick out the volume you want to look at. I can tell you this---the first few volumes do not cover parishes but deal with newspapers and other publications in the Polish-American community at that time. The various volumes cover parishes by states so I found that the easiest way to zero in on what was important is to skim through the volumes until you find the state you need. Almost all the states are in the Northeastern and Midwestern US with some in Texas and California. Most of the early Polish immigrants settled in those areas rather than in the Southern and Western states. The attached information about the parish where Julia was married my be useful to you if you are not able to obtain a copy of her baptismal record from Holy Trinity since baptismal information is usually included in marriage records.

Dave

Capture.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  54.77 KB

Capture.JPG

sirdan
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:22 am      Post subject:

Thanks! i will write to the parish then.
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:08 am      Post subject:

Wow! So much has happened here since I last posted. Everyone is providing very useful documents. It is amazing how quickly one can go from knowing only a little bit about an emigrant, to finding out so much of their story.

Sirdan, I do have a subscription to Ancestry, so if there are particular documents that you want, please tell me and I will post them here for you. I do not want to guess which ones. So let me know.

I agree with you, the record you found for Helena Klus going to Michigan is the correct Helena Kluz, and that "Vanderberth" is really Vanderbilt, Pennsylvania. This is very exciting, as it is the only document we have found for Helena. She and Juljanna and their parents must have all gone back to Poland and survived the first World War there. I also agree with what you are saying about the information on the birth certificate for Julia, it is a mixture of information that was accurate at the time of birth plus information that was accurate in 1942. It is not very clear to me when her father Albert Miedlar died. So far, I do not find him in the index of Pennsylvania deaths.

Elzbieta, thanks for posting the map. It is very helpful when you can see how close all these little towns are.

Dave, I wonder if you have any theory on why Julia would apply for a delayed birth certificate in 1942? What did she need it for? She already had a passport from 1924. We can see on the 1940 census that she worked for an auto plant. Do you suppose that once the U.S. entered WWII, the plant changed over to war material production and she required additional proof of who she was? Just a guess on my part.

PolishLibrarian, excellent find on Fr. Szpara. I google a bit and came up with nothing! Nicely done.

Best,
Sophia
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in the USA and in other countries outside Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next Page 1 of 2

Jump to: