PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 14

Post Posted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:58 pm      Post subject: Help needed in finding birth town. Obludzien, Lomrza?

My grandmothers birth certificate showed her mother to be Stanislawa Stanczak born 15 September 1879 in the town of Obludzien, Lomrza, Poland. I can not find this town anywhere to be able to find more information about her parents and/or who her siblings were.

Stanislawa Stanczak married Franciszek Abramski (date unknown) and they came to the U.S. in 1905 or so.

Any help with the town name so that I can dig more or perhaps family information for Abramski or Stanczak would be appreciated.

Thank you so much. Many good wishes for a Happy New Year.

Laurel Manning
Elzbieta Porteneuve
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 3098

Post Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:48 am      Post subject: Re: Help needed in finding birth town. Obludzien, Lomrza?

blondegenielmg wrote:
My grandmothers birth certificate showed her mother to be Stanislawa Stanczak born 15 September 1879 in the town of Obludzien, Lomrza, Poland. I can not find this town anywhere to be able to find more information about her parents and/or who her siblings were.

Stanislawa Stanczak married Franciszek Abramski (date unknown) and they came to the U.S. in 1905 or so.

Any help with the town name so that I can dig more or perhaps family information for Abramski or Stanczak would be appreciated.

Thank you so much. Many good wishes for a Happy New Year.

Laurel Manning

Laurel,

Both places are on Google maps.
In the old geography book, Obłudzin is said part of Młodzianowo:
http://dir.icm.edu.pl/Slownik_geograficzny/Tom_VI/535
righ side, bottom

Lomrza is Łomża (same pronounciation, orthography), Obludzien is Obłudzin (diacritical mark on "l"):
Łomża, Poland
Obłudzin, Poland
Młodzianowo, Poland

Hope it helps,
Best,
Elzbieta
blondegenielmg

Post Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:50 am      Post subject:

Yes. This helps. I'll follow your link and look everything up.
I tried the google search and came up with nothing that made sense.
Thank you so much for writing back.
Laurel
blondegenielmg

Post Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:14 pm      Post subject:

Apparently I have this only half right and I need your help again.

I need to find the church records for Obludzen, Lomrza, Poland. Baptisms 1878-1880 and marriages 1895-1901.

Sorry to trouble you again. Very new at this.

Laurel Manning
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2792

Post Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:18 pm      Post subject: Birth records

Laurel,

Both Obludzin and Mlodzianowo are small villages which belong to the parish of Wegrzynowo, which is the place were the records in which you are interested were compiled and thus is the location where you need to search. You can pretty much ignore Lomza---in the 19th Century it was the name of the gubierna where those places were located---something too general to be of any real help. The contemporary map shows the location of the parish along with the larger town of Makow, which should help you locate places on the 1907 map. The 1907 map of powiat Makowski shows both Mlodzianowo and the village of the parish---Wegrzynowo. Evidently Obludzin was too small to make it on the less detailed 1907 map. Today Obludzin has a population of considerably less than 200.

You are in luck in the sense that the records are online at Metryki. The attachment shows the page where you will find the scans you need. The downside is that it will be necessary for you to browse the scans to find the record you want. The other downside is that the records are in Russian which uses the Cyrillic alphabet. I'll post some help pages for dealing with records in Cyrillic in a second post.

Just a suggestion----If you don't find your great grandmother's birth record in the year and month where you expect it to be, it is possible that the info you have is not accurate. On birth certificates from the early 20th Century in the US the informant was usually not the mother so dates---especially years---can be off. If you don't find her birth in 1879, try the years both before and after.

Wishing you success,

Dave

metryki-wegrzynowo.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  153.51 KB
 Viewed:  13109 Time(s)

metryki-wegrzynowo.JPG

map.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  107.19 KB

map.JPG

43.Makowski.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  119.33 KB

43.Makowski.jpg

Last edited by dnowicki on Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:26 pm      Post subject: Cyrillic Research Aids

Laurel,

Here are some help pages for Cyrillic Documents.

Happy New Year!

Dave

Cyrilic Alphabet.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  275.15 KB

Cyrilic Alphabet.jpg

months_script.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  128.88 KB

months_script.jpg

Elzbieta Porteneuve
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:29 pm      Post subject:

Dave,

You just made it! There is only one possibility for year 1879, and it's USC in Wegrzynowo.

Laurel,

Here is Stanislawa Stanczak birth record. I am taking a snapshot of Metryki page.

Best,
Elzbieta

==
Index:
http://metryki.genealodzy.pl/metryka.php?ar=6&zs=0111d&sy=1879&kt=1&plik=SkU-1.jpg#zoom=2.75&x=491&y=191
right side, bottom, 4 th line from the bottom, Stanczak Stanislawa 45

http://metryki.genealodzy.pl/metryka.php?ar=6&zs=0111d&sy=1879&kt=1&plik=043-046.jpg#zoom=1&x=0&y=0
Obłudzin N 45
It happened in the village Węgrzynowo on /26 August/7 September/ 1879, at 2 pm. Appeared in Franciszek Stańczak, 39 years old, peasant residing in Obłudzin, in the presence of Jan Chabdziński?, 40 years old, peasant, and Józef Gawryś, 63 years old, church caretaker, residing in Węgrzynowo, and presented us a female child, declaring he was born in Obłudzin /23 August/4 September/ current year, at 8 pm, with his wife Stefania born Olszewska, 28 years old. On the holy baptism held today, the child was given the name Stanisława, and his godparents were Jan Chabdziński and Marianna, his wife. This act was read etc.
Priest W. Kozłowski, administrator of Węgrzynowo

DATE-of-ACT: /26 August/7 September/ - 7 September 1879, at 2 pm, in the village Węgrzynowo
FATHER: Franciszek Stańczak, 39 years old, peasant residing in Obłudzin
MOTHER: Stefania born Olszewska, 28 years old, his wife
KTO: Stanisława Stańczak, born /23 August/4 September/ - 4 September 1879, at 8 pm, in Obłudzin
WITNESSES: Jan Chabdziński?, 40 years old, peasant, and Józef Gawryś, 63 years old, church caretaker, residing in Węgrzynowo
GODPARENTS: Jan Chabdziński and Marianna, his wife
==

Wegrzynowo-USC-1879-Stanislawa-Stanczak.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  231.03 KB

Wegrzynowo-USC-1879-Stanislawa-Stanczak.JPG

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:55 pm      Post subject: Possible Marriage Record

Laurel & Elzbieta,

The years mentioned for her marriage to Franciszek between 1895 to 1901 are also online---just a longer search without a more definite date.

Elzbieta,

Szczesliwego Nowego Roku!

Dave

Capture.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  167.91 KB
 Viewed:  13110 Time(s)

Capture.JPG

Elzbieta Porteneuve
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:58 pm      Post subject: Re: Possible Marriage Record

dnowicki wrote:
Laurel & Elzbieta,

The years mentioned for her marriage to Franciszek between 1895 to 1901 are also online---just a longer search without a more definite date.

Elzbieta,

Dave

I just found the marriage in 1899, and am working on it.

Best,
Elzbieta
Elzbieta Porteneuve
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:23 am      Post subject:

blondegenielmg wrote:
Apparently I have this only half right and I need your help again.

I need to find the church records for Obludzen, Lomrza, Poland. Baptisms 1878-1880 and marriages 1895-1901.

Sorry to trouble you again. Very new at this.

Laurel Manning

Laurel,

Here is the marriage record of Franciszek Abramski and Stanislawa Stanczak, 8 February 1899.
I am also attaching a snapshot of Metryki page.

Best,
Elzbieta

CORRECTION: Łaś not Las; some names are impossible to guess from Cyrillic, without searching geography.
==

http://metryki.genealodzy.pl/metryka.php?ar=6&zs=0111d&sy=1899&kt=2&plik=SkM.jpg#zoom=1.75&x=158&y=1167
first line: Abramski Franciszek i Stanislawa Stanczak, 10
http://metryki.genealodzy.pl/metryka.php?ar=6&zs=0111d&sy=1899&kt=2&plik=010-011.jpg#zoom=1&x=0&y=0

MARRIAGE: /27 January/8 February/ - 8 February 1899, at 4 pm, in the village Węgrzynowo
GROOM: Franciszek Abramski, peasant, 20 years, residing with his parents, peasants in Łaś, parish Szelków, and born in the same place,
GROOM-PARENTS: son of Leonard and Julianna born Zduniak spouses Abramski
BRIDE: Stanisława Stańczak, Miss, 20 years old, residing with her parents peasants in Obłudzin, and born in the same place,
BRIDE-PARENTS: daughter of Franciszek and Stefania born Olszewska, spouses Stańczak
WITNESSES: Walenty Grzeszczak, 43 years old, peasant, residing in Obłudzin, and Franciszek Gutowski, 41 years old, church caretaker, residing in Węgrzynowo
BANNS: /10/29/; /17/29/; /24 January/5 February/ 1899, in the parish church in Węgrzynowo and in parish church in Szelków

Łaś and Obłudzin, N 10
It happened in the village Węgrzynowo on /27 January/8 February/ 1899, at 4 pm. We make it known that in the consciousness of witnesses Walenty Grzeszczak, 43 years old, peasant, residing in Obłudzin, and Franciszek Gutowski, 41 years old, church caretaker, residing in Węgrzynowo, today have been concluded religious marriage between Franciszek Abramski, peasant, 20 years, residing with his parents, peasants in Łaś, parish Szelków, and born in the same place, son of Leonard and Julianna born Zduniak spouses Abramski; and Stanisława Stańczak, Miss, 20 years old, residing with her parents peasants in Obłudzin, and born in the same place, daughter of Franciszek and Stefania born Olszewska, spouses Stańczak. An oral permission to the marriage has been given by parents present to the act of marriage. This marriage was preceded by three announcements published in this parish and in parish church in Szelków on /10/29/; /17/29/; /24 January/5 February/ of the current year. The religious rite of marriage has been celebrated by Priest Władysław Kozłowski, administrator of the parish Węgrzynowo. This act was read to the present etc.
Administrator of Węgrzynowo
Priest W. Kozłowski

==

Wegrzynowo-USC-1899-Abramski-Stanczak-marriage.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  215.73 KB

Wegrzynowo-USC-1899-Abramski-Stanczak-marriage.JPG

Elzbieta Porteneuve
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:00 am      Post subject:

Laurel,

I browsed some indexes in Metryki, and found the first child of Franciszek Abramski and Stanislawa Stanczak, born in 1900, in Łaś, parish Szelków.

Best,
Elzbieta

==

http://metryki.genealodzy.pl/metryka.php?ar=6&zs=0688d&sy=1900&kt=1&plik=103-106.jpg#zoom=1.5&x=1884&y=1207
Łaś N106
It happened in the village Szelków on /23 July/5 August/ 1900 at 1 pm. Appeared Franciszek Abramski, peasant residing in Łaś, 22 years old, in the presence of Szymon Bojk, 29 years old, and Walenty Krukowski, 35 years old, peasants residing in Łaś, and presented us a male child, declaring he was born in Łaś, today, at 2 am, with his wife Stanisława born Stańczak, 20 years old. On the holy baptism held today the child was given the name Bolesław, and his godparents were Szymon Bojk and Rozalia, his wife. This act was read etc.
Administrator of the parish Szelków, maintaining Civil Vital Records Registry, Priest A.(illegible)

DATE-of-ACT: 23 July/5 August/ - 5 August 1900 at 1 pm, in the village Szelków
FATHER: Franciszek Abramski, peasant residing in Łaś, 22 years old
MOTHER: Stanisława born Stańczak, 20 years old, his wife
KTO: Bolesław Abramski, born 5 August 1900 at 2 am, in Łaś
WITNESSES: Szymon Bojk, 29 years old, and Walenty Krukowski, 35 years old, peasants residing in Łaś
GODPARENTS: Szymon Bojk and Rozalia, his wife

==

Szelkow-1900-Abramski-Boleslaw.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  318.7 KB

Szelkow-1900-Abramski-Boleslaw.JPG

Elzbieta Porteneuve
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:20 am      Post subject:

Laurel,

The same year 1900, the father of Franciszek Abramski had another child, in Szelkow.

Best,
Elzbieta

==

http://metryki.genealodzy.pl/metryka.php?ar=6&zs=0688d&sy=1900&kt=1&plik=055-058.jpg#zoom=1.25&x=1938&y=1450

Szelkow N58
FATHER: Leopold Abramski, 40 years old
MOTHER: Julianna born Zduniak, 40 years old
KTO: Stanislawa Abramska, born 7 May 1900, in Łaś
WITNESSES: Walenty Krukowski, 30 years old, and Stanislaw Grabowski, 45 years old, peasants in Łaś
GODPARENTS: Stanislaw Grabowski and Rozalia Krukowska
ANNOTATION-on-birth-record: Stanislawa Abramska zaslubila Stefana Komorek w kosciele sw Aleksandra w Warszawie, 2 marca 1924 r. // Stanislawa Abramska married Stefan Komorek, at the church Sw. Aleksander in Warsaw, 2 March 1924

==

Szelkow-1900-Abramska-Stanislawa-daughter-Leopold-Abramski.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  361.01 KB

Szelkow-1900-Abramska-Stanislawa-daughter-Leopold-Abramski.JPG

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:54 am      Post subject:

Laurel,

Here is a map showing the locations mentioned in the records Elzbieta located and translated for you.

Wishing you success in your research,

Dave

Capture.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  95.04 KB

Capture.JPG

blondegenielmg

Post Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:50 am      Post subject:

Dave and Elzbieta,

I can't thank you enough for finding these documents for me. I have been trying to read the long hand notes while trying to apply the alphabet and months and it's been really difficult. I tried to look for the last names but for some reason Stanczak doesn't look the same in the scans. No wonder I got lost.

I'm going to use these examples to try to find siblings of Stanislawa. So far we only know of one, her brother Aleksander born in 1891. Since there are so many years difference I'm sure there are quite a few children to find. About 12 years or so to search if not more.

If I get really good at this I might try my luck to go back another generation to find the parents of Franciszek Stanczak and Stefania Olszewska.

Laurel Manning
blondegenielmg

Post Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:19 am      Post subject:

Is this Aleksander? If so, would you translate it for me?

http://metryki.genealodzy.pl/metryka.php?ar=6&zs=0111d&sy=1891&kt=1&plik=099-101.jpg#zoom=2&x=424&y=242

If this isn't a Stanczyk child would you show the letters I should be looking for?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Villages and towns of our ancestors' origins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next Page 1 of 3

Jump to: