PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 7

Post Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:18 am      Post subject: Chicago Polish Newspaper Obit

Hi. Attached is a newspaper clipping of my grandfather's death, and the funeral card. Can someone provide a translation of both?

I know the clipping mentions "Antoniemu Chonarzewskiemu"; does anyone know anything about this person?

I would greatly appreciate it!
Thank you, Diane

Wnorowski Funeral Card back.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Wnorowski Funeral Card back.pdf
 Filesize:  52.85 KB
 Downloaded:  610 Time(s)

wnorowski obit.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  wnorowski obit.pdf
 Filesize:  1.22 MB
 Downloaded:  748 Time(s)

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:49 am      Post subject: Antoni Chonarzewski

Diane,

I never heard of Antoni Chonarzewski until this morning. He appears in your grandfather's obituary because both he and your grandfather had the same circle of friends and associates and Antoni's funeral took place on the day (Nov. 28, 1933) that your grandfather's obit was published. Since from what appeared in the obit about Antoni, he was an important member of the group of Polish printers in Chicago at the time. On the odd chance that some info about him could possibly be found in the book which was published for the 1933 World's Fair which was held in Chicago and was known as the "Century of Progress" Exposition I checked it out and there he was. (My grandparents had saved the book because it deals with the contributions of Poles to the USA in general and to Chicago in particular and I now have it.) Antoni Chonarzewski was the president of the Polish Union Printers Alliance in 1933. Attached is the Alliance's ad which is found on page 247 of the book, which was published by the Polish Day Association (the various ethnic groups had their official "days" during the exposition. The Poles of Chicago contributed to the fair by participating in the Polish Week of Hospitality, July 17---23, 1933.) and was printed by the Polish Daily Zgoda, Chicago, Illinois. The book has a lot of ads since it was paid for by subscriptions from "patrons" and by ads from businesses, organizations and societies. The other attachment is the ad for the undertaker who handled your grandfather's funeral. I know that neither of these items specifically speak of your grandfather but I thought that you may find them of interest as background material. I find ads in souvenir books like this interesting because they provide a sort of snapshot Polish businesses, organizations, and societies from times past.

At the top of the funeral card is a quote from the Bible followed by the info of genealogical import that Antoni E. Wnorowski was born in Poland on April 6, 1886 and died on November 25, 1933 and was buried on November 29. Then follows the text of a prayer and at the very bottom is information about the funeral director.

Hoping that you find this info useful,

Dave

CCF02032016_00002.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  48.09 KB
 Viewed:  4687 Time(s)

CCF02032016_00002.jpg

CCF02032016_00000.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  971.62 KB
 Viewed:  4687 Time(s)

CCF02032016_00000.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:37 pm      Post subject:

Diane,

Here is a quick translation of the obit. Sometimes I gave a free translation of phrases which were in vogue in 1930 Polonia but are very stilted in our contemporary usage.

Dave

Obit Translation:
November 28, 1933
Tomorrow the funeral of Antoni Wnorowski of holy memory (will take place)
Picture of the late Antoni E. Wnorowski
Last Saturday morning departed from this world one of the well known active participants in the national and organizational affairs of Polonia, Antoni E. Wnorowski of pious memory, who resided at 1101 Noble Street, an employee for a number of years in the office of the County Clerk (of Cook County). He passed away peacefully after a short illness, having lived 47 years.
He left behind in inconsolable sorrow his wife Stanislawa and also three children: Eugenia, Ludwika, and Tadeusz. His loss also causes sorrow to a large group of more distant relatives, friends and acquaintances.
The funeral will take place on Wednesday, November 29, from the funeral chapel of Mr. Mocny (Motzny) at 1041 Noble Street at 10:30 a.m. The mortal remains will be exported to Holy Trinity Church for the funeral rites, and from there will be transported to St. Adalbert Cemetery.
The same friends and acquaintances, who today paid their final respects (lit. service) to the late Antoni Chonarzewki, a senior member of the Polish printers, will gather tomorrow to bid farewell to another friend, since the late Chonarzewski and the late Wnorowski had almost the same circle of acquaintances as close friends, whom death removed from the group of friends almost at the same time.
The late Antoni Wnorowski came from Warsaw, Poland. He lived in America for 30 years. He belonged to the Polish National Alliance, to the Harmony Society, group 4 of the Polish National Alliance, and to other Polish organizations.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in the USA and in other countries outside Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: